Reading the Beach and Structure - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 03-31-2006, 09:53 PM

Can use all the help I can get where I fish in Maine they swim, not real deep on the left of me is rocks all wide open and from what I read here its great fishing , remember they say that Biddford pool is great ,help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2006, 01:05 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

you have a boat?

Old 04-15-2006, 03:15 PM

Default Fishin' Maine

Bobga,

Come mid-May, if you are a surf fisher, grab a tall rod, a reel with about 15lb test line on it, and go to Old Orchard Beach. Pick up some clams, and walk out near the pier. Throw your line in. You'll do well.

Along those same lines, the Saco river, which is right next to OOB, has some excellent fishing that you can park your car along route 1 and throw your line in and fish there as well. That tends to get crowded early, as it is usually excellent striper fishing.

Then, the Saco jetty is fantastic towards the end of May, beginning of June.

My biggest problem is finding good bait spots. I used to be able to pick up fresh mackeral or polluck anywhere without a boat. Today, they are just too far and few between. Anyone know of good places to jig for live bait without a boat in Southern Maine, please give a yell.

-Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2006, 07:18 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

I like jetties that seperate beach from breakwater. The best on both sides.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:01 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i forgot the name of the looong jetty in wells (by the amusement park and the camp ground). there is a small bait shack in the parking lot and a guy was bringing him fresh mak's every day and i bought a dozen off him and had a blast on the pier catching schoolie sized fish. i couldn;t get the misses to go more than halfway out on the jetty or i may have gotten bigger fish.

Old 11-08-2006, 02:37 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Reading the Beach

NJ DEP website has an aerial view map called iMAP. I've launched into the site and printed photos of the sedge islands and barnegat inlet. After printing them out I sectioned them and taped them together as a map. I guess that's what you guys are doing with Google. ( Studying Aerial photos ) It gave me a good look at some of those sloughs and sandbars. The only trouble is the photos are not really recent, and beaches are constantly reconfiguring. "Moontide" lows with offshore winds are great for reconaissance. Are there any good aerials of South Shore Staten Island?
Old 11-12-2006, 11:32 PM
First Mate

Kinda answered my own question. Think. then speak. Think, then speak. Anyway, Google earth for the aerial... and Maptech for the noaa style nav. chart of the same area. Compare them and get a whole new look at things. Jeez, it's like going to school again.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:20 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Thought someone may find this interesting. Although it's aimed at fly fishing,, the principles are the same.
http://www.stripermoon.com/archive/arc1.html
Old 03-06-2007, 01:41 PM

http://www.thefishingline.com/videos...ngTheBeach.wma
Old 03-09-2007, 06:19 PM

Wow...this is going to be the best thing I ever did, joining this forum. Could you explain "downstream of the structure" forgive me, does this mean that whichever way the tide is flowing, go to the opposing side?

Awesome information, I came from freshwater in Soth Carolina with Blue worms but since fished on RT 107 in between saugus and lynn and caught 36 inchers, now i am looking at the beach from my front window!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
Fish feed regularly at certain fixed substructures, and at other times you have to find the baitfish. Beachfront structure is a huge factor in determining where you might set up shop to deadstick or plug. But most important is the presence of baitfish or lack therof. An old axiom of surfishing is 'wind in your face, means fish on the beach'.
Subsurface structures often cause a narrowing in the flow of the tide. This will create a venturi effect, accelerating the flow of water into the deeper recesses of the structure. Look for the predatory fish on the downstream side of the structure. At this point, eddies are often formed. The predators often wait in ambush for the bait to be swept over the edge of these holes.
Most often these substructure "rips" are associated with a sand bar, a shoal, an inlet or a point.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:33 PM

Doode that is awesome...I have the tide charts for the nest 5 YEARS on my wall and the 2 sections of my fishing rods are facing them, with their eyes clearly affixed on times and tides...my wife just watches...hahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Cherokee View Post
Old 03-11-2007, 12:06 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

or a tremultuous hole with rock and heavy current! jim, are you ready for the HOLE?

Old 03-11-2007, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-ROD
Could you explain "downstream of the structure" forgive me, does this mean that whichever way the tide is flowing, go to the opposing side?
Downcurrent.
Follow something floating in the water that has passed a boulder or a pier pylon. That is the downstream side
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimno
jim, are you ready for the HOLE?
Absolutely Paulie. I get pretty beat up getting down there, but that is just the structure that this thread talks about. The water eddies right where those boulders are.
"Subsurface structures often cause a narrowing in the flow of the tide. This will create a venturi effect, accelerating the flow of water into the deeper recesses of the structure. Look for the predatory fish on the downstream side of the structure. At this point, eddies are often formed"
Old 03-11-2007, 02:10 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

in effect and not all area or structure is the same as in /shoals/channels which change on sometimes a daily basis if you fish the beach with long sweeping uneffected (dunes if you will) then you will see the waves coming in on an angle in one direction or another (depending on where you are in the hemisphere). when fishing the surf as the previous article shows (btw very nicely put) there is a current that runs parallel to the beach close to shore called a "longshore current" or "along the shore current" and if you toss a plug or fly into the surf it tells you which direction the current is moving ( in the same direction as the oncoming waves) and there is where the bars and troughs are made parallel to the beach. after a continuous supply of waves feeds this longshore current it gets to the point it has to make it;s way back out to deeper water and there is where you get your rip currents. these are another ideal place to catch disoriented baitfish (dangerous to be near but if you can cast far enough into it) it;s easy to see or distinguish where the rip current (some call it a rip tide but is not a tidal factor) by seeing a swirling foamy water behind the breaking waves and if i can find the pic of that overhead shot in my files i will post it. hope this adds to an already well informative thread.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:58 PM

If I take pictures of a couple of my fishing spots, would y'all mind taking a gander and pointing out anything on them that sticks out to you as signs of better/worse fishing spots? I figure I read them pretty well, but 'd be interested in some objective opinoins, and they're not secret spots or anything.