Current California Aqueduct Report 5/2/05 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 05-02-2005, 10:14 PM

Default Current California Aqueduct Report 5/2/05

Here it is, Turner's Outdoorsmans weekly freshwater report. Guess the schoolie fest lives on. I pasted the following from their website: turners.com It reads........FRESHWATER HOT SPOTS
STRIPED BASS: The excellent striper bite continues along the California Aqueduct near Taft. This bite has been sizzling for two months now and shows no sign of slowing. Most anglers are catching and releasing up to 100 fish a day on Lug Worm and nightcrawler combos. Distance second-best baits are cut anchovies, white Gitzits, or Rat-L-Traps. Most fish are averaging from 1-0 to 5-0, but fish to 15-0 have been landed.......... Notice that it fails to mention using anything bigger than 3 or 4 inches for lure or bait. That's the way it is for alot of guys out here on the duct, very few just target the big ones. Not complaining mind you, from what I've seen there isn''t a big tendency among the masses here to catch and release the brood stock. Can't wait till the weekend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2005, 10:24 PM

You should try a Tube n' Worm...that would definately call in the biguns...
Maybe that'll call the big one out from all those schoolies... :D

...Keep the good reports comin'...its always good to hear... :D
Old 05-03-2005, 12:30 AM

Well now you done it boston, seeing as how at this moment in time I have no idea what the "tube n' worm" is........I can see what I will be doing for the next couple hours.....Scouring the web to find out what I need to get to try this out and what I need to do to use it......Sheeeesh! (feigning exasperation) No seriously man, I am gonna have to check it out cause I know you guys catch alot of fish on those rigs. Maybe if you're feeling generous you will help fastrack the tutorial with some anecdotal information of your own? One good thing about it will be that I'll be showing those big heifers something they aint never seen before.......and that is always a good thing. :shock:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2005, 12:37 AM

Hi SS welcome to the site. Check out this thread https://stripers247.com/phpBB2/viewto...t=412&start=30 and also www.santinitube.com

Pretty much a fast track primer.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:18 AM

Awesome jumpstart Jim, thanks a bunch! I'm gonna order a couple right away. Any recommendation on where to start colorwise?
Old 05-03-2005, 01:40 AM

Hi ss 8)

Yea pete says to try the red and amber first on sunny days if no. try black or purple. On dark days use flourescent orange or green and at night use the glozob

Fish very slowly. You can even cast em near deep water.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:21 PM

Ss...
I fish the Tube like this:

-Mono or leadcore line
-BALL BEARING swivel (very important)...save you alot of headaches...
-Big juicy worm threaded on the hook...I like down the throat of the worm and out about an inch down the body...
-I get the tube as close to the bottom as possible...
-SLOW...I cannot stress this enough...I trim up my engine, so I know I'm barely moving...You what to be going so slow that the tube lazily twists in a corkscrew motion...
-Don't set the hook on the first bite...wait for the fish to hook itself...
...Plus, I find that the tube is way more effective when you troll WITH the current...

...Good luck...and Santini has a buncha really good articles on his site...
Feel free to ask whatever questions you have... :D
Old 05-03-2005, 08:42 PM

Default Twisting Tubes

I was at the last seminar by Charlie Soares and he mentioned that straight tubes could produce more bass that would be less likely to strike a twisting tube, his thoughts are a nice bounce of a straighter tube looks more like an ell.

Jim did you get his book in yet ?
I just read it and I learned a few good things I'm going to put use.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:27 PM

Thanks for all the info, I'm sure I will come up with more questions.....but this will get me started with them anyhow. Can't wait to try it. On a side note I just hears some scuttlebutt that a new Castaic Lake record striper was caught yesterday at 45 pounds and change. That would bumb my buddies record fish from last year at a nudge over 42. This report is thus far unconfirmed, but sounds entirely possible especially considering they just planted about 4000 trout and I'm sure the big cows are having a heyday close to the plant site. Go out and get bent boys :D
Old 05-04-2005, 12:18 AM

That wouldnt surprize me at all sole. check out this thread page 2. https://stripers247.com/phpBB2/viewto...hlight=castaic

also check this one out from the napa river. https://stripers247.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=116