New to the Spring Surf - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 05-20-2010, 02:20 PM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Default Re: New to the Spring Surf

Don't get too stressed out man. It's hard to figure this chit out but once you do, your sense of accomplishment will go through the roof just like inflation. lol I'd like to ask you the general area you fish. PM me if you like with that. As far as lures go i suggest you empy your plug bag and only bring tins and poppers with you. No sense to bring everything with you untill you learn how to use them. The tin(kastmaster, hopkins, point judith,etc.) is the easiest lure to fish. It always casts well and when you let it sink to the bottom and use a slow retrieve with occational stop and go, you will fish the low water column. Very important in the spring time when bass feed off the bottom. Poppers are best at dusk and dawn, but can be productive anytime fish break water and i like using them in skinny water. The bucktail is the hardest to master so leave that one last on your list. Also take notice of the weather. You don't want to fish an area when it's wind against tide. Idealy you want the wind with the tide, casting into the wind and working the lure with the sweep of the water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010, 12:31 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: New to the Spring Surf

Im in monmouth county NJ, so ihave been concentrating in the Long Branch and Sea Bright Surf. Past couple times out fished from late afternoon until darkness. Sea Bright beach is pretty flat in areas, Long Branch area had some Structure (jetties). Is it best to fish at high tide? I know im starting out, but it gets a little discouraging when you hear the fishing reports that fish are everywhere and you dont catch anything. Hardest thing to master seems to be able to work your plug with the current. Especially in the dark!