New to the Spring Surf - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 05-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Striper Hunter

Default New to the Spring Surf

Hi I'm new to the Forum and am looking to spend more time surf fishing (Although its almost impossible with 3 kids under the age of 6). Have surf fished casually over the years but have the itching to spend more time on the water. I live in NJ (Hazlet area) and in particular I am looking to do some fishing after work over the next couple weeks . Looking anywhere between raritan bay to Long Branch surf for starters. Can anybody recommedn a good place to start? Whats the best setup? I have 6-7' rod, 10' plugging rod and a heavy 9' rod all with matching reels. Plugs vs. bait? ANother questions-I know the blues are out there now, what kind of line, rig to use metal leader? just looking for some tips to start and be more productive. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: New to the Spring Surf

put 20# line on the reel with the 10' rod and get a few plugs and some metal and just go whenever you can. screw baitfishing as it is a waiting game and you have no time for that... go to whatever beaches on the jersey coast you are near and see for yourself what is there. if nothing? move on. since you have limited time i would crimp a steel leader onto a 2 or 3 oz hopkins or krockodile and have at it with all the bluefish action. at least you won't lose the tin so quickly. there is always a chance at bass if they are present but work some metal first to make sure bluefish are not there and then work the wood. don't fish wooden lures around any of the bait guys if you see them into bluefish, as that may just cost you a plug or two.. i barely had time to type this. will get more feedback i'm sure. go get em.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Striper Hunter

Hey thanks for your input. when you get a chance what type of plugs do you recommend? size, color?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Striper Hunter

Go to your local bait shop and buy a plug then ask for info on where to go. Most of the local bait and tackle shop guys will share info if they are getting your business
Old 05-03-2010, 12:30 AM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Since Bunker is the dominant bait right now and there's oilcans (bluefish) around i would get the largest popper your rod will throw and i always stick with white or white belly and dark green or black top. If your new to working pluggs don't go spending thirty bucks on a plug. You'll probably lose one or two so go with tsunami wood. Tripple epoxy coating, VMC hooks and preety cheap, or Super Strike plastics work just as well. 20" of 60# leader tyed to a SPRO barrel swivel and your good to go.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Striper Hunter

Thanks for your help. what type/size line would you recommend. im using a schimano stradic 5000 with a st. croix 10' plugging rod. do you recommdend a teaser? I've read a lot of articles about using a teaser, but not sure what to use and how to tie it on. thanks.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:08 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

I wouldn't bother with a teaser at this point. Just go with Tins and a couple of poppers and a metal lipped swimmer or a bomber or two. Three colors that are generally effective for plugging are white yellow and black.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:24 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

right now i'd say storm shads a must with a popper/spook/bottledarter/pencil/darter maybe?/ 'd say a needle but you'd frustrate yourself.... you need to learn where and how to work plugs... you just don't get this chit overnight dude/// get out and annoy some of the sharpies on the beach.. show em what you've got and ask how to use it... most will walk away but there are those that are considerate "at least i think so in jersey" Montauk? another story... toss a plug out and turn to talk to someone or pick your nose or light a cigarette>>>> (this will get some feedback)

Old 05-10-2010, 09:09 PM
First Mate

Another cheap plug for if the bluefish are around is a "Creek Chub" its a popper that you can throw a mile and at about 6 bucks a pop its not too bad to lose to some blues..id reccomend the blue and white color and the yellow/greenish mix color.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Good setup. Just make sure you wipe that reel down after every outing and it will last a long time. Monofilament-Berkley Big Game 15# Braid-20#. Teasers are only used later in the season when stripers key in on smaller baitfish, rain bait,spearing,sandeels,etc.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Striper Hunter

Thanks for the help. went out one afternoon last week at the nearest surf and didnt have much luck. did alot of blind casting and changed lures alot (metals, plugs, swim shads). wind started picking up and then the surf got rougher. how long should you stick with a lure before changing it up? when do you make the decision to try another location? tried a couple spots near a jetty (from the beach) with no luck.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

You're not gonna catch every time you go out. At least not yet! You're still in the googan stage so don't second guess yourself too much. It takes time with a lot of trial and error. I would suggest to pick a body of water that's close enough to frequent often and fish it at different tides until you figure out the bite. Make sure the area has structure and fish all water columns. Some areas produce @ high tide some when the water's skinny. Make a log about your outings, tide,wind,temps,lures,etc. Next season you'll have a reference guide. As far as how long to stay in one spot,that's hard to say. I myself don't spend more than one hour on one specific spot. I like to move around a bit and try to find the fish. Lets say i'm fishing Breezy Point jetty for an hour without signs of life and it's high tide. I'll walk around to the bay side by the cans and fish that spot for an hour. If nothing there i might take a quick ride to Fort Tilden or Riis park. I might even run back to the jetty at low tide and give it another shot. But i know these areas like the back of my hand. Be patient!
Old 05-19-2010, 09:13 PM
First Mate

dp0265 - you said you fished an area near a jetty from the shore...why not just fish from the end of the jetty? I'd wait for 2-3 hours before dead high tide and once the tide changed start throwing lures/bait/or whatever you want into the current and let the tide carry it wayyy out and then work it in...but thats just my .02
Old 05-19-2010, 09:46 PM

Big rod, pencil popper (have some yellow on it) heavy leader, 50# minimum.
Hit the beach

Night time is a bait game throwing bunker chunks in the bay. Expect a few bluefish so again, heavy leader.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:39 PM
Striper Hunter

Thanks for all the feedback so far. At times (most of the time) I feel like I am aimlessly casting out there. Last time out I tried everything in my bag with no success. I have decent equipment and a good assortment of lures(plugs, poppers, swimmers, metals), but not sure if i am using them right under the conditions. I read alot about concentrating on the water column. How can you tell if your lure is doing what it is supposed too? is it at the correct depth? Also, under what conditions should i be using metal vs, swimmer or a popper etc???? i guess the more i get out there the more things will make sense. last time out the surf got rough. should i have gone with heavlier plug? seems frustrating at times.