Day Fishing vs. Night fishing in the Spring - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 04-29-2010, 10:11 PM
First Mate

Default Day Fishing vs. Night fishing in the Spring

I know that in the fall the night time is easily the best chance of catching a striper but is it the same way in the spring? or are the bass around and feeding just as heavily during the day...I guess what im trying to say would it be completely pointless to fish all day in the spring as well as into the night time? thats w/o all of the other factors that i know come into account..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2010, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Day Fishing vs. Night fishing in the Spring

The spring can be very topsy turvy. Yesterday the big fish bit great in the daylight, not so well at night.
Tomorrow could be the complete opposite

Fall is pretty much a night thing.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Official Member

I know fish feed at different times throughout the year, but I've always heard from the locals that striped bass are primarily night feeders. I haven't done enough night trolling to compare my results with daytime fishing. Anyone have any opinions on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2010, 08:18 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

The thing that most influences when fish feed is the bait that they are feeding on...

Baits like pogies, sand eels and herring can trigger bass to feed at any time, in those instances it is more related to when the bass have the best opportunity to ambush the bait...

When keyed in on baits like squid or eels, the game becomes strictly nocturnal..

seasons play a role in the feeding times as well, it is my finding that both spring and fall when bait fish are migrating that those early dawn or dusk hours produce better than the deep night... but there are always exceptions, influxes of warm water or a school of menhaden or squid can throw all the "generalities" out the proverbial window.

During the summer months, it is almost strictly a night time game, because the water temps may lower a few degrees and food sources less abundant bass ( and blue) will prowel the shallows under the cover of darkness in search of a meal, this meal could come in the form of eels in a river system, sand eels ,crabs or lobsters on the beach...
getting familiar with the area you fish, the movements of bait and tides as well as the fish that you seek are the key's to finding the best time to fish.. for me.. night time is the right time...
Old 07-04-2010, 01:54 PM
Striper Hunter

Location: i fish in the niantic area, but sometimes we move around so normally eastern ct

i went out with my gramps starting at like 2 or 3 in the after noon and caught blues all the way up to 830 when we needed to head in. it really depends on the spot and what ur using