California Aqueduct Information - Page 8 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > California - Lakes, Rivers, Bay and Delta > California Aqueduct
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 12-06-2008, 02:10 AM

Default Re: Aqueduct Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS View Post
I saw a guy fly fishing a couple of days ago. He hadn't caught anything, but says he does. I didn't ask him what kind of flies he was using. I walked up to the duct with an 11 inch saltwater lure on my rod, threw it out brought it to the surface and was making it thrash around and had a nice striper take it down. The guys were kind of shocked.
Caught a 25 lber a couple of weeks ago. Fishing was really good the first part of November. I went four or five times, and probably caught 40 fish, mostly from 2-5 lbs.
Still looking for my 50 lber though.
DanS - I think it was me you saw out at the duc' ...

Yes, I have landed a few on the fly..

However, one mistake many people make is assuming that flyfishing is only for top water action - we can fish all depths of water.

using different types of lines (slow sink, intermediate sink, shooting head, etc) we can fish different depths.

The lines have different sink rates - (like 9 inches a second) - so once your fly hits the water - you count to guesstamate how deep the fly is.

One limitation that I have is that using heavy shooting head, sinking line set ups is hard to cast - and thus I can only get about 1/2 way across the duc' (on a good day)

I have landed fish using a blue/white shad pattern...and a yellow/white shad pattern ripped in fast and deep...up to 22" or so

but, I had something huge break me off using a sculpin imitation twitched along the bottom...

I hope to be back out there next week....

ANd yes watching your huge top water plug getting nailed was exciting.... top water action on a fly rod is what I live for..

also, flyfisherman use imitation bloodworms... I might give that a shot...

a sculpin pattern in front and then tied to the hook of that ---- about an 18 inch leader with a imitation worm tied on

After reading some info on this site - I want to try a frog patten, and a mouse pattern for the top water stripers.

as for the carp - carp are highly sought after fish for flyfisherman (hard fighters and hard to catch)

If indeed they are taking small insects off the surface.... I need to get on it - huge carp out there

any input would be great....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Official Member

Unhappy Re: Aqueduct Information

Hey Striperfly.
I really don't know what the stripers are eating on the surface at the duct. Now, a sculpin fly pattern just might be the ticket. I used to catch sculpin out of the duct using a trout hook and a piece of a very small redworm and use them for stripers. Stripers love em, but it was really difficult catching the sculpin. I went fishing a few days ago, caught about 4 small stripers, nothing big. Fishing has slowed down, but that doesn't mean a guy cannot catch a big one this time of the year. Several years ago one December I caught about 10 stripers over 15 lbs in December. I don't remember the exact amount anymore as I have CRS disease.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodoman View Post
i got it for early Christmas gift.
dont know who made it.

i do know, its sitting on the bottom of d.v.l. along with many other swimbaits.
ya i hear that some of the best bait i have had end up in Davey Jones.
seems Like the ones that work the best go first.
i ask myself how much tackle could i recover if i scubaed some of my favorite lakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2008, 06:33 PM
SWIMBAITER

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Owen View Post
ya i hear that some of the best bait i have had end up in Davey Jones.
seems Like the ones that work the best go first.
i ask myself how much tackle could i recover if i scubaed some of my favorite lakes

lol, im fishing d.v.l. 1 or 2 times a week.
i and other fisherman have recovered other peoples swimbaits.
so far, i found 3 hudds, a few rapalas and many spinners .
Old 01-07-2009, 05:32 PM

wow hows the fishing doing at dvl? this time fo year i have been out a few times havent hooked a thing
Old 01-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Striper Fever

Hello Jay Owens,
I am here just haven't posted here much but just the snow striper landed on12-19-08. I will post the other two. I thought my wife did it for me, but she forgot. Hello everyone! Happy New Year!
Old 01-08-2009, 04:18 PM

snow???
wow i guess the cold weather doesnt change the bites???
happy new year and happy holidays too all
Old 01-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Official Member

I live near tracy and I'm curious if anyone fishes the aqueduct in this area. I fish the delta for stripers alot and I'm looking for any info that may lead to a starting point up here. Also I've fished Bethany Resevoir (the aqueduct flows in and then out near the Tracy pumping station) which is basically the beginning of the aqueduct Just looking to see if anyone has any experience in this area
Old 01-18-2009, 10:44 PM
SWIMBAITER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLoGiN View Post
I live near tracy and I'm curious if anyone fishes the aqueduct in this area. I fish the delta for stripers alot and I'm looking for any info that may lead to a starting point up here. Also I've fished Bethany Resevoir (the aqueduct flows in and then out near the Tracy pumping station) which is basically the beginning of the aqueduct Just looking to see if anyone has any experience in this area

oh man, I WOULD LOVE TO FISH THERE.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:40 PM

I use to live in tracy and stockton and the delta by far is the best fishing ive ever done . clifton court forebay was always pretty good and also bethany reservoir
Old 01-27-2009, 05:40 AM

if a fisherman is good at baiting,
does that make him a masturbaiter????

any good catches lately
Old 01-28-2009, 08:36 PM
Official Member

Stripers in Bethany? I've caught many large channel cats in there but never targeted stripers....will be up there soon! THANKS
Old 01-29-2009, 03:53 PM
Official Member

Striperfly
Yes. there are huge carp in the aqueduct. Many times during the summer months you will see them up against the bank. All different colors of them too.
I don't know about catching carp on a fly, but when I was a kid I used to get a small can of whole kernel corn, fill up a #4 or so hook with it and go to the local small river and catch the heck out of them. Not to mention haul in huge snapping turtles, which would just walk right back into the water and then swim away and snap your line.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:56 PM
Official Member

Went to the duct last night, hoping the stripers would be on the bite as this front approached. Not a drop of water running, but that didn't concern me, cause you can still catch them, just seems a little harder.
Anyway, the wind was blowing about 25 mph, and I didn't even get a hit. I think I am on a four fishing day losing steak. Oh well, now you know why it is called fishing instead of catching.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Official Member

Fished the duct again last night. Hit three sets of gates, caught two small fish, nothing to write home about. Windy, raining and muddy.
For me January and February or really tough months to fish the duct.