kinda a weird qustion correct rigging? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 10-30-2004, 05:22 PM

Default kinda a weird qustion correct rigging?

Hello every one!

I have been thinking about this.....I guess I am just cheap, plugs and lures can be expensive. So losing them is not very fun. The last time I went fishing I managed to lose two lures in rocks off a jetty. Not a big deal but it got me thinking.

Would it be smart to do this for a rig?

I have 20lb mono on my spool, then put 15-20feet of 40-50lb mono shock leader them a barrel swivel them a 40lb steel leader then a plug or spoon to prevent loss?
I know that you can use a steel leader for bluefish but is that the only time you should do it?
Thanks
Happy fishing
Mattman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2004, 07:32 PM
Veteran

If your off a jetty and your lure gets hung up you could slide a swivel down your line with a weighted treble hook on it, on a stronger test line. jig it and pull up your lure. works sometimes. seen an oldtimer do it.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:09 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

I learned a trick from Jigman, and it works. It would be much much too hard for me to explain it in writing. Gotta have Jigman make a video LOL.

A few weeks after learning it, I went freshwater river fishing for largemouth bassy's in the Lamprey River with a friend. I threw out my buzzbait across the skinnywater, and I hit the rocks on the other side lol. CRAP. There goes my fave buzzbait right? NOPE. Utilize the Jigman's trick and me buzzbait came flyin out tha rocks back at me LOL.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2004, 08:21 AM
Jigologist

yessah, the slingshot..LOL... works about 80% of the time as long as you don't set the hook and recognize that your hung before applying too much pressure.. don't set the hook deeper by yankin' with the rod...

mattman, your not gonna want to cast that swivel thru your guides dude.. your gonna do damage... just apply a shock leader of say 40-50lb to your 20lb main line using a uni to uni knot or an albright ... a blood knot will work too .... after you tie it hit it with some glue and roll it in your fingers to smooth out the knot... it'll cast thru your guides nicely and won't damage things... or sound like hell..

more on the "slingshot" later... saves me about 100 jigs a year... no kidding.. many times you'll catch a fish in the process.. eh jonny? :D