Lake Cumberland Problems - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Kentucky
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 03-07-2007, 09:50 PM
Wiper Guru

Default Lake Cumberland Problems

I did not see this thread come up before, so I thought it might be worth mentioning. Lake Cumberland KY has major problems, again. It is in need of serious repair work to the dam. By serious I mean a four or five year repair job. No telling what effect that will have on that grand fishery, except to concentrate the fish and maybe make them easier to locate. Here's an article about it: http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....WS01/702120355
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2007, 08:46 AM

Default Re: Lake Cumberland Problems

40 feet below normal summer pool is a lot of water. 80' below full. wow.

This was really, in my view, a knee-jerk reaction to Katrina," said J.D. Hamilton, owner of Lees Ford Marina on the eastern end of the lake in Nancy. "Without Katrina, you would have never heard of this."
Many share the same sentiment that the Corps - in an over abundance of caution after its levees failed in New Orleans when Hurricane Katrina hit in 2005 and as a result of an outside group's recommendation and political pressure - overreacted by lowering the lake and unnecessarily raised concerns that the dam could fail.
All of that has generated news stories that have left tourists wondering whether Lake Cumberland will be a good place to vacation this summer, they contend.
"I'm afraid the Chicken Little syndrome is going to get us more than anything else," said Mark Bastin, chairman of the Somerset Pulaski County Convention and Visitors Bureau board.

Heres another discussion thread on the issue.
https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=7443
Old 03-15-2007, 08:33 PM

Default Re: Lake Cumberland Problems

This was going on for some time before it became national news. Now the lake is at 680 where it's normally 720. Rumors were that the lake needed to go down more, but that hasn't been the case. No one knows what impact this will have on the Striper population in the lake, but as long as the lake level doesn't remain to low for a long time, KDFW officials say there shouldn't be a problem. I've not been down since they lowered it to 680, but there are pics at LakeCumberland.com. They are before and after so those of you who are not familar with the lake can see the BIG change! I'm still gonna fish as much as I've always have and make the best out of this unfortunate situation.