Question about my rod. - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 04-11-2013, 03:41 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Question about my rod.

As I just bought this 10' tsunami rod, i do not want my guides to get beat up on this. i guess i will use this on the side of the pier and get another heavy duty rod to cast that bunker head into the middle with 6 oz sinker.

Any recommendations on some good 12' rods that can handle i guess at least 8 oz of lure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiikme View Post
Any recommendations on some good 12' rods that can handle i guess at least 8 oz of lure?
Sorry, can't really help you there. I neither use 12' rods nor cast that kind of weight, so anything I might tell you would just be a guess and not based on personal experience.

One thing that I have found the hard way is that there aren't many surfcasting rods out there worth owning that cost less than $100, and most quality rods with quality hardware will cost you close to triple that.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF View Post
Sorry, can't really help you there. I neither use 12' rods nor cast that kind of weight, so anything I might tell you would just be a guess and not based on personal experience.

One thing that I have found the hard way is that there aren't many surfcasting rods out there worth owning that cost less than $100, and most quality rods with quality hardware will cost you close to triple that.
yeah that's what i've been hearing. an old man at the pier the other day mumbled that i could get a "cheap" one from some bait/tackle store for like $220... guess i gotta do some research.

thanks again for your input Jake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Pro Staff

Take a look at the Lamiglas SurfKing series. A friend of mine who makes some monster sized plugs used one for a couple seasons and seemed to like it OK. They have an 11' model rated 3-8 that goes for around $200.

http://www.lamiglas.com/prod_indiv.php?groupid=40
Old 04-12-2013, 08:57 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Take a look at the Lamiglas SurfKing series. A friend of mine who makes some monster sized plugs used one for a couple seasons and seemed to like it OK. They have an 11' model rated 3-8 that goes for around $200.

http://www.lamiglas.com/prod_indiv.php?groupid=40
Thanks jake. i did look into the rod. I think I'm leaning towards buying another Tsunami TSTSS 1102XH. It has some pretty good reviews and not too expensive. tackle store around here said he would give it to me for $110 tax included. Hopefully I will be happy with my purchase. :D
Old 09-07-2015, 01:04 PM
Official Member

Hello everyone I need info on a rod I purchased its the tsunami tfss1002mh. Can I use this rod for fishing with lures (bucktales, poppers, pencil poppers and jigs) or just fish with bait (clams and bunker)?
Old 09-21-2015, 04:54 PM
First Mate @ Ace Charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk2g88 View Post
Hello everyone I need info on a rod I purchased its the tsunami tfss1002mh. Can I use this rod for fishing with lures (bucktales, poppers, pencil poppers and jigs) or just fish with bait (clams and bunker)?
I would throw this up on the Surfcasting Central page. Might have better luck.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:37 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
There are a wide variety of misconceptions and old wives tales floating around out there about what you can do to increase casting distance. 9 times out of 10 it comes down to casting the right weight for the rod you're using, and proper casting technique.
I'm convinced this is absolutely true after thousands of weighted bait casts to promising looking distant spots. Another thing I found that will affect casting distance is how the bait 'flies' through the air. Even on a dead calm day. Because of the extra wind resistance, larger bulky baits won't go nearly as far as a smaller bait even if the weight of the rig is exactly the same.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:53 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk2g88 View Post
yeah, sure - It might not work as well as a $$ rod specifically designed for the specific purpose but it won't hurt anything. except maybe your arm from the weight of big rod after an hour or two of throwing lures.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:59 AM
Tyee

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie the j View Post
I have a question about my rod too. How come it isn't as hard as it used to be?
You'll have to talk to the "doc" about that
Old 03-24-2016, 08:05 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie the j View Post
I have a question about my rod too. How come it isn't as hard as it used to be?
Is it a 10 footer like mikiie 's ?