NY Saltwater Fishing Licence - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > New York
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New York New York Bight - Raritan Bay - North and South Shore - Eastern Long Island -Captree - Shinnecock - Moriches - Montauk - Jamaica Bay - Staten Island - Western Sound - Long Island Sound The Hudson River

Old 08-27-2009, 12:32 AM
Surf Maniac

Default NY Saltwater Fishing Licence

Any one have any info about when and where to get theses licenses. It is set to be in affect on 10/01/09. No info on NY.gov site bait stores in Staten Island just guessing any real info would be greatly appreciated.

Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2009, 01:03 AM

Default Re: NY Saltwater Fishing Licence

When will the license requirements become effective?

Beginning October 1, 2009, all anglers, required to do so, must have a recreational marine fishing license.[Note: there is pending legislation that may delay the effective date of the implementation of the recreational marine fishing license until January 1, 2010.]

Where can I purchase a recreational marine fishing license?

Recreational marine fishing licenses will be offered for sale as part of DEC's automated licensing system (DECALS) and will be available at all locations where hunting and fishing licenses are offered (most town clerks; many bait and tackle shops; sporting goods stores; DEC regional offices in Albany, Allegheny, Buffalo, Ray Brook, Stony Brook, and Watertown).
You can also purchase your licenses via telephone 1-86-NY-DECALS (1-866-933-2257) or online by visiting the DEC Internet Sporting License Sales page.
https://nyfgisales.appsolgrp.com/fgnyia/html/index.jsp

What is the cost of a recreational marine license?

Resident annual marine fishing license - $10
Resident 7-day marine fishing license - $8
Resident 1-day marine fishing license - $4
Resident lifetime marine fishing license - $150
Resident lifetime combination fishing and recreational fishing license - $450
Non-resident annual marine fishing license - $15
Non-resident 7-day marine fishing license - $10
Non-resident 1-day marine fishing license - $5
Old 09-28-2009, 09:43 AM

As of September 25th 2009 the NY State Saltwater license is availabe for online purchase at the NY DEC website. There is an option to purchase the license to cover the rest of 2009 as well as the entire 2010 year.

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding the Recreational Marine Fishing License:

Under what circumstances do I need a recreational marine fishing license?

Persons 16 years of age and older need to acquire a recreational marine fishing license if they are:
  • fishing in the Marine and Coastal District or
  • fishing any water (such as the Hudson River, Delaware River, or Mohawk River and their tributaries) where the angler is fishing for "migratory fish from the sea" (such as striped bass, American shad, hickory shad, blueback herring, alewife).
The Marine and Coastal District includes all the waters of the Atlantic Ocean within three nautical miles from the coast ands all other tidal waters within the state, including the Hudson River up to the Governor Malcolm Wilson Tappan Zee Bridge.
When will the license requirements become effective?

Beginning October 1, 2009, all anglers, required to do so, must have a recreational marine fishing license.

Where can I purchase a recreational marine fishing license?

Recreational marine fishing licenses will be offered for sale as part of DEC's automated licensing system (DECALS) and will be available at all locations where hunting and fishing licenses are offered (most town clerks; many bait and tackle shops; sporting goods stores; DEC regional offices in Albany, Allegheny, Buffalo, Ray Brook, Stony Brook, and Watertown).
You can also purchase your licenses via telephone 1-86-NY-DECALS (1-866-933-2257) or online by visiting the DEC Internet Sporting License Sales page.
What is the cost of a recreational marine license?

Resident annual marine fishing license - $10
Resident 7-day marine fishing license - $8
Resident 1-day marine fishing license - $4
Resident lifetime marine fishing license - $150
Resident lifetime combination fishing and recreational fishing license - $450
Non-resident annual marine fishing license - $15
Non-resident 7-day marine fishing license - $10
Non-resident 1-day marine fishing license - $5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Striper Hunter

Picked up mine today. $20 & a 40 Minute wait, If i buy the Resident lifetime marine fishing license will i have to pay a fee if & when the yearly cost goes up or will i be locked in?

Found the answer
Lifetime license fees may increase when annual license fees increase and such increases will not affect sportsmen and sportswomen who have previously purchased a lifetime license.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:51 PM

does anyone know where in staten island i can purchase a license?
Old 10-07-2009, 09:54 AM

Michaels Bait and tackle.
Mansion Avenue
Great Kills

Great kills bait and tackle
Hyland Blvd
Great Kills

Biggies Bait and tackle
Page Avenue
Tottenville
Old 10-07-2009, 01:31 PM

i called michaels and great kills bait shop and neither one is selling them, i will try biggies bait and tackle hopefully they're selling them
Old 10-07-2009, 01:50 PM

The system is so screwed up its ridiculous. Your stuck with a 2 week wait online if you ever manage to correct the errors they have on file.
The number is incorrect on the web site and for all this - you get the privaledge for 2 months of fishing.
New license is needed for January 1st. Typical beuraucratic bungling
I cant see them enforcing this at all. At least not this year.

On Staten Island you may want to try Borough hall.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:53 PM

Judge issues injunction, blocks fishing license enforcement on Shelter island and 3 suffolk County towns until October 13th.

A Suffolk County Court judge has blocked the state Department of Environmental Conservation from enforcing a new saltwater fishing license law in three East End towns.
Hours before it was set to take effect, Suffolk County Supreme Court Justice William Rebolini issued a temporary restraining order on Wednesday afternoon, September 30, barring the state from enforcing the controversial new license requirement in Southampton Town, East Hampton Town and on Shelter Island.
The restraining order is in effect until Tuesday, October 13, when attorneys representing the three towns are to appear before a different judge to argue the merits of the case, according to Judge Rebolini’s ruling. The Town of Southold is expected to have joined the injunction request by that time as well.
The injunction, while in effect, applies only to areas where the Town Trustees of the three towns have jurisdiction. It does not impact the license requirement in any way beyond the East End and would not apply to fishermen on boats outside of town waters or in Montauk, because the East Hampton Town Trustees’ authority does not include the Montauk area.
While the ocean is state waters, the restraining order does free surfcasters from having to carry the license when fishing between the east side of Moriches Inlet, where the Southampton Town Trustees’ jurisdiction begins, and the western boundary of Hither Hills State Park in Montauk, where the East Hampton Town Trustees jurisdiction ends, because enforcement of the license is barred within the Trustees’ jurisdiction.
“For all intents and purposes, the licensing law in our three towns doesn’t exist until October 13,” Assistant Southampton Town Attorney Joseph Lombardo said on Thursday, 
October 1. “If the Trustees have jurisdiction over the water, that’s where the injunction is good for, and there is to be no enforcement in the three towns.”
Wednesday’s court order does not address the merits of the Trustees’ case, it simply orders that the license not be enforced until the arguments can be reviewed more thoroughly. But the Trustees were happy to see that their case at least seemed to hold enough water to warrant the judge ordering things be held in check until it can be heard.
“They’re thinking about it. It gave them pause to at least give it consideration, so that’s important to us,” Southampton Town Trustee Jon Semlear said. “The judge, at least, thought it had enough merit to look into it further.”
Justice Patrick Sweeney, who will review the Trustees’ arguments against the license being enforced on the East End in the long run, will have the option of extending the injunction against enforcing the license while he reviews the merits of the case.
The new saltwater license has drawn criticism from across the state and from public officials on Long Island, where the vast majority of the state’s saltwater fishermen reside. It is the first time a license has ever been required for fishing in saltwaters in New York State. The license will cost state residents $10 annually or $150 for a lifetime pass.
At a press conference outside the Suffolk County Supreme Court building in Riverhead on Wednesday, while the attorneys for the Trustees were filing the restraining order request, members of the East Hampton and Southampton town boards of trustees and other local elected officials blasted the license regulations.
Assemblyman Fred W. Thiele Jr. said that while the state has imposed the new license fee on its residents, no new programs to benefit fishermen or fisheries have been created. The money, he said, is just being used to pay for existing programs and the salaries of employees that have been cut from the state budget during the recent fiscal crisis.
“It’s just one more thing they’re charging us for, and where is it going to stop?” East Hampton Town Trustee Stephanie Talmage said. “We have to take a stand somewhere. People say it’s only $10, but it will just get more and more.”
The Trustees in the three towns are challenging the state’s right to impose such a fee on their residents since their centuries-old boards still derive their authority from 17th century colonial writs that guaranteed that the town’s residents could “fish and fowl” on 
town waters for free and without hindrance from any outside agencies. When the State of New York was formed, the colonial-era laws were ratified within the state constitution, the Trustees argue, and mean the Trustees authority should still supersede state law.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:01 PM

Area bait-and-tackle shops either are refusing to sell the new licenses or say they can't get information from the state on how to do so

While the state Department of Environmental Conservation is implementing the requirement, spokeswoman Lori Severino said she was unsure whether the agency had reached out to bait-and-tackle shops.
"It doesn't mean that we wouldn't start" contacting shops, she said.

Several fisherman interviewed Thursday said they had complied with the law and gotten their licenses online, at town halls or at large chain sporting-goods stores.

Severino acknowledged the state is getting hit by calls from upset shop owners and anglers.
She said the DEC will work for several months to educate people on the new rule before citing violators, who face a fine of up to $250 and up to 15 days in jail.
"It's still a learning process out there for the fisherman who may not have known about this until recently," she said.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:28 PM
First Mate

I applied and paid online DEC.NY.ORG $20 for rest of this year and all of next. Filed for myself and wife ( she fishes with me, sometime ). Wont get the actual license for up to two weeks. Print out the finished application as proof of license. It's accepted. I figured I'd go for it. I don't need some PIA bustin' my horns just because he can. I just hope the frggin' money goes to some fishing related advantage.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I just hope the frggin' money goes to some fishing related advantage
Hookers for the blind.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

upon looking at my licence, it is lime green and flimsy.
it does have a barcode on the side with an id #
mine reads "valid 10/1/09 thru 9//30/2010 and if it's not i'm disputing it.....
anyway, me thinks by next summer the dec officers will have a barcode reader like the meter maids have and can read if it's valid/ counerfiet or even if it's the persons in question. lots of potential for revenue. the hardworking mexican/russian/asian/ illegals here will have to fish in secluded areas "like my haunts" to avoid tackle confiscation as no id? tackle is held till fine is paid for non-compliance. however, i have a valid licence now and a band of non-english speaking folk were around me while flycasting and decided to cast bait to the left and right of me. i litterally freaked them out with my backcast as i didn't even look behind me while casting. i don't begrudge anyone a fishing day on the water but... my spot. i'm fishing. and complete disregard for my effort and no real respect for my angling method or any concern if i was gonna drift into thier line "which i avoided as my line is expensive" so i'm sorta not able to convey fishing ettiquite or spot consideration. i'm sorta not able to say vamanos! as it's a free country. i'm sorta not able to be upset cause they don't know better as they never seen a flyfisherman and care less. i'm sorta not able to be upset i purchased a licence and clearly someone or some one's "who cannot bear one" and is now illegal in the eyes of the state is imposing on my paying privilege and spot. nahh.... i'll just grin and move on as my spot is now spooked and inundated with voices of a language i hear and cannot comprehend as it is abundantly clear i am a nuisance with my flying hook... glad i got a licence to fish though as i will soon be finding the invisible exceptions to the rule like "free healthcare and free food stamps" let them fish as they are not able to get a licence mr president....wait till the catch shares law goes into effect in the coming years.. you think a license was a trip? wait'll ya gotta pay for time on the water>>>>> that's already in the works as we speak. obama has that one in motion. i don't know who voted for this a**hole but if you did you will not be able to cry to me as this is just one of several big gov't takeovers he has dipped his grubby hands into. sad sad sad.. i'm almost ashamed to say i'm an american as i can't believe the chit i am seeing. and they wanna sent 100,000 troops to afghanistan? just leave! israel will take care of it if we leave>< it's thier problem anyway.. god awful place to fight and die.. hopeless and is worse than vietnam.. there, that's what i think of this licence. i was all for it and can't wait till the coming spring to see if wrath of noncompliance is upheld. till then i am throwing my hat in the mix for better or worse.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Striper Hunter

i for 1 dont mind the license , what i mind is the funds it generates do not go back to the parks and water ways....arificial reefs ramps lights in parking lots....fish resources....so on it also keeps 3rd world country people from fishing and takeing any thing thay catch out of season or size. on are water ways we sports man and citizins pay for so vote republican, email your asemblyman tell him you want the funds put back in to the water ways not the ny politicians pockets!!!! do some thing be herd!!!!
Old 10-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Striper Hunter

get the local D E C agents phone # next time your fishin your spot and the 3rd world people show up....callyou have all winter to get the proper info and #s i see skells all the time polluting are parks and ramps...thay are skell freeloaders who dont belong hear. are families and us cant even enjoy a few moments to sit any place with out them being thier!!!! call man...