Lake Cumberland night time report...... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Kentucky
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 04-27-2007, 12:19 AM

Default Lake Cumberland night time report......

Well just got back today from a couple of nights fishing on lake Cumberland! The shad really didn't come up too strong where we fished, but the first night we did manage to catch 5 stripes and two other fish were lost. The biggest being 20 pounds 7 ounces. One really nice fish hit at the boat, but managed to get off. The second night had even less shad up and less stripes on the banks, but new Striper 24/7 member, Moochie, got one stripe and a decent flathead cat. The second night also was cut short due to some incoming storms which came up on us at around 3:00 am. Every fish was caught casting artificial, Gizz 4 and Sliver, with the Gizz 4 catching all the fish but two. There was a couple of 30 plus pound stripes caught in Indian creek, which seems to be a hot spot for really big females right now. Both were caught on guide trips using live shad most likely pulled with planers.
As, expected, the fish are further up the creek then the last time I was there, but weren't schooled up and feeding on the small amount of shad that were spawning on the bank. The first night had more stripes busting the surface, but seemed to be single fish, instead of a school working the bank. Fish and shad seemed to be more concentrated in the middle of deeper channels in side coves that branch off from the creeks. Most live bait fisherman were pulling boards in these deep coves early in the morning and seemed to be having some success. Night fishing is starting to warm up! I can't wait for Sunday! Good fishing everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2007, 09:48 AM
Official Member

Default Re: Lake Cumberland night time report......

It was great to get down to Cumberland and dust the casting rod off. Even though I only caught one striper, and a nice flathead, I'm ready to go again and cast my arm off. There are some big fish with my name on them, just waiting to be plucked out of the water.

Maybe I could go "on leave" for the month of May and live at Cumberland... Who am I kidding? I'd never go back to work if I did that!
Old 05-02-2007, 12:58 AM

Went out night fishing again Sunday and Monday night. Didn't do bad, but no really big stripes. We did catch 7 walleyes and 6 stripes. The walleyes were pretty nice sized with a few of them pushing 7 pounds! Most stripes were short ones, but one was about 13 pounds. Almost all fish were caught using surface baits, but a few walleye were caught on the Gizz4. The bait was up and working pretty good, but stripers came up very late in the morning, around 5:00am. The next night was about the same, however the stripes did show up alot earlier. It's really gonna get better as far as the stripes are concerned when they school up a little better. But in the mean time the walleye sure are fun to catch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2007, 07:28 PM
Official Member

I can't wait to get back to the lake and catch some more stripers, and some walleye as well!

9 days and counting...
Old 05-05-2007, 10:01 PM
Striper Hunter

Hey Mepps, Todd and I are still kicking around the idea of fishing with you this month. It's all about finding time to get it done. Good going on those stripers and walleye. You obviously know what you are doing.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:27 AM

I would love to take you and Todd fishing at night. If I could cast at night all year long, I'd never pull bait or troll again! Thanks for the kind words too. And thanks for making such a great lurer for us to use. It's a solid bait and I'd recommend it to anyone who fishes for stripers! It's produced about half of the fish we've caught this year at night and has put the Rapala Sliver to shame. Good job guys! Hope to see you guys soon.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:34 PM
Official Member

The Sliver is really breaking my heart this year. I think I'm going to steal someone's Gizz4 and throw it this next time around. Mepps will be back tomorrow, and I'm sure he'll have some stories and pics for us. We'll be heading back down Sunday night for a fishing extravaganza! Hopefully we'll be there all week.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:55 AM

Moochie, let us know how you do, www.smacktackle.com is where you can find those Gizz4,, then you don't have to become a petty thief! ;) (even though stealing someone's Smack should be Grand Larceny!)
LMJ
Old 05-09-2007, 12:16 PM

I bought three gizz4's and tried them on Patoka in Indiana. I went out to shake the boat down one evening a few weeks back and tied on 3 gizz4's and trolled around a little bit. The fish I was marking were deep so I added some stealth riggs to get them down a little. I was by myself and it was very windy making boat control tough. I got one gizz hung up and cut another line with the line that was hung up. So, first time out trying the gizz and I'm out two lures and a stealth rig. $30 opening day loss, no fish. I did like the look of the lures and i guess I still have one left. I guess good things can still happen with the remaining plug.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:37 PM

Panfish, sorry about your loss! We have a grieving thread on the Smack Tackle forum, because we recognize the hurt and pain of losing a $10 lure!

LMJ
Old 05-09-2007, 10:59 PM

Panfish, there's nothing worse then losing a $10 lure. But, don't give up on the bait. It caught a 21lb stripe for me the first night I used it on Lake Cumberland! Casting and trolling the bait will work and it should be a good bait to throw in the hybrid jumps that you probably have on Patoka.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:42 PM

No hybrids in Patoka, only full strain stripers (and white bass). I went out this past Sunday morning on the lake and pulled umbrella rigs. I picked up my first fish of the yr., 19lbs.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:21 PM

Nice Fish Panfish! Great way to start the Striper Year!
LMJ
Old 05-12-2007, 02:50 AM

I didn't know there were stripers in Patoka! Nice fish to start the year off with. Gotta love a 19 pounder! Those umbrella rigs can be deadly.