new to striper fishing ! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Kentucky
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 04-09-2007, 09:12 AM

Default new to striper fishing !

I am new to striper fishing and wondering if there is anyone out there who might offer advice ! I fish a deep { up to 250' } narrow { maybe 1/4 mi. wide } long { approx. 30 -35 mi. } Kentucky lake . { Herrington Lake } It is located about 25 mi. south of Lexington . I know people have had success fishing this lake for striped bass , white bass and large mouth bass , I just have not been one of them ! Any advice would be greatly appreciated !
thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2007, 11:57 PM

Default Re: new to striper fishing !

I'm like you; I've only fished Herrington a couple of times, with little success. But then, I had no clue where to go. Lately I've read up on it some, and if it weren't for other circumstances preventing it, I'd be heading to the headwaters as soon as the water warms up some, and watching for the white bass "boils," and throwing surface lures at them. Hybrids often run with the white bass there, I'm told. Other times of the year, or any time really, trolling live bait is supposedly a good way to catch big ones there, too. I say "supposedly" only because I haven't done it much myself (yet).

Good Luck!
Old 04-10-2007, 09:15 PM

Here's my uneducated advise:
Hire a guide at least once from that lake, it'll pay off in multiples by showing you at least SOME decent water for the season you are guided.
Also, find schools of bait on sonar or surface bite as toothfish said, you'll find fish.
I think the guide would be best, a few hundred bucks now, will save you hundreds in fuel, food, etc. on trips you may or may not find fish.
If you can afford it, hire guide in 2 or three different seasons, so you'll gain knowledge on how and where to fish the lake spring, summer, fall.
It's far enough south that it probably has decent winter fishing to.
LMJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Wiper Guru

My geuss would be to go for the wipers--Herrington supposedly has a good population of them. I would try fishing either late evening just before sunset or early morning just before sunrise. Watch for boils at the surface and birds. If you don't see these--and you probably won't because it may be too early in the season--study your topos for large, shallow flats adjascent to deeper water. Find the best hump in the flat and be there when the sun rises or sets. Troll anything chartreuse, maybe a 6 inch or better Hyper Striper Stump Jumper (check Bass Pro) and long line that flat. You'll probably get something. And, don't ever listen to anyone who says you can't catch them throughout the summer. July and August are some of the best fishing months. Good luck.

The other rule is "find the shad and you will find the stripers and wipers." Watch your sonar; if you see a big school of shad with some larger fish hanging around the flanks, you have found the stripers and wipers. They may not be biting, but they are there. Use silvers and golds on bright days. You'll find them.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:09 PM
Wiper Guru

OOH! Welcome aboard. Ask all the questions you want, these guys will be your biggest help in getting started.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:20 AM

Thanks for the advice so far , weather permitting I will be putting some of it to use this weekend !
Old 04-11-2007, 09:11 AM

I'll throw my 2 cents in there as well.,,,
When you find a boil up going on...Fish deeper , under the school of fish . There may be some "bigger" one feeding under the school of smaller fish.
Water clarity may be a factor in the time of day they feed the most ferociously. If the water is under 3' clarity they may be on a frenzy mid morning and mid afternoon. As I get it ,these fish are low light fish and sun light penetration is a factor to consider.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:21 AM
Wiper Guru

All great advice! Hope you get a bunch--soon.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:19 AM
Official Member

I live on this lake but instead of fishing it , I've been building a boat dock and steps down to it .lol . But my neighbor caught a 12 lber. a couple of days ago and his grandaughter had one break her line . A lot of people have been catching them in the 4&5 pound range . I know a guy that caught 4 just casting off his dock . Its killing me not being able to go .
Old 05-05-2007, 11:43 AM
Wiper Guru

Just think, Powermaker, they grow about three pounds a year. If you don't get to go until next year, they'll be just that much bigger. They'll not only break the line, they may just take the pole with them as well.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Official Member

I did catch a 7 lber. back in the 80's . I've been out of the game since then but I've just built a new house on the lake and I'm ready to get in .
Old 05-08-2007, 05:10 PM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowretrieve View Post
Just think, Powermaker, they grow about three pounds a year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERMAKER View Post
I did catch a 7 lber. back in the 80's....
So that 7lber would be somewhere in the 80lb range now
Old 05-09-2007, 07:27 AM
Wiper Guru

Ooh! An eighty pounder, not that's a fish! Unfortunately, they usually don't live longer than seven years. He'll be into third or fourth generation hybrids by now. They really do need to start working on longevity for wipers. Wouldn't that be great if they could live ten or fifteen years?