Schodack Island State Park - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 12-17-2015, 01:20 PM
Official Member

Default Schodack Island State Park

Took a drive by the park today, sign out front stating camping would be available in April of 2016. Campsites are virtually done. If you have never been there it is on the east bank just below the Castleton bridge, off route 9J. Great launch. Herring usually pretty easy to jig. I live pretty close by but plan to get a site during the run for at least a few days.

Does the season still open 3/17? And where is the ice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2015, 09:30 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Schodack Island State Park

Schodack is a GREAT park (where the buffalo roam(ed) ) but they drug their feet on getting the sites ready.. I live close , very close..
Their launch is second to none with a break wall dock to make the currents of the mighty Hudson launching and loading a breeze..
We free Island camp often though
The only thing which is slight , to note is that they don't allow overnight berth, docking of your boat so it must be launched and loaded daily.. No big deal, just a note..
Old 12-18-2015, 03:39 PM
Striper Hunter

Freddie the J ……. I had been thinking the same thing. Considering the hundreds of miles I haul my trailer to camp and fish the Atlantic surf, camping out here 20 minutes from home for a week or so during the run and being able to bring the boat along is an enticing thought.

There is still nothing on their website that I could find regarding opening the campsites. Most of the state parks seem to list sometime in May (May 20 for the Adirondacks) as their opening day. Thompsons Lake, my home park, opens up May 1 and Glimmerglass on Otsego Lake has let folks use a couple of sites in their “primitive” area over the winter for the past several years. I have seen some fairly large camp trailers in there during ice fishing season.

I was hoping that they would look at having some “camper slips” as part of the new camping facility. They seem fairly exposed (hence the overkill but wonderful launch) so having overnight slips may not be possible between tides and the wakes from traffic on the river. I know they have a fairly inexpensive “land marina” system and boat storage area where for a small fee you can leave your boat on shore thru the season, but I’m not sure I would want to leave my boat unattended there with any gear on it.

I also wonder if campers will be able to fish from that long run of shoreline in the park they now have marked “no access”?

If anyone sees updated information, let us know. I will do the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2015, 09:05 PM
First Mate

I have island camped for years on Middle ground (state) island which is free..
Schodack park is a great launch and good people .. You can launch for free weekdays , $6.00 weekends , leave your vehicle and come back when done.. I would have no issue leaving gear unattended in the parking (seasonal) area.. It's a well run/watched park..

2 years ago I bought a 22' cabin boat and decided, that's my camper and get a dock rental at a near by marina for striper season.. It makes things much easier.. The wife and grandkids wont sleep on the boat however..
With the now, long over due camping sites at Schodack park , we will probably bring camper and set up , then go back and grab boat so everyone in my family can enjoy the overnight experience..

I have caught fish from shore along the man made wall at the park.. If we camp it will open up some great after sundown fishing while camping there from shore.. I see nothing about "no access" that will prohibit this..
There will be no overnight on water docking though at the park..
Old 01-18-2016, 08:39 PM
First Mate

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/general-...sselaer-county