Transition time..... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Sweetwater Fishing -Freshwater Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Sweetwater Fishing -Freshwater Stripers Freshwater fishing discussion. Articles on tactics and techniques for freshwater stripers as well as Bass & other species.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:04 PM

Default Transition time.....

So here we are again...one of those awkward transition times of year... when the fish aren't quite here and they aren't quite there yet either...in my case for whatever reason(s) the winter bite has dropped off and yet the spring bite isn't here yet either and the bigger fish are hard to locate. I *suspect* that this is due to the fact that they have many, relatively speaking, equally desirable options right now and no biological imperative to move in any particular direction. Usually for me this just means cover lots and lots of territory with special attention to the shallow water in the backs of creeks when there is a warm rain or a few warm days in a row or go look for the hybes on mid lake points and humps with bait in lieu of chasing the bigger fish.

What do the rest of you do during the late winter/early spring transition time??? Slo-Ride? You're not too far away...what happens in your neck of the woods this time of the year? If I read your previous posts right you're getting ready for some good catching...what *general* sorts of things are you watching for/looking for on the water?

Just getting a little cabin fever here in between the consistent winter bite and spring bite to come.

Tight lines all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2009, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Transition time.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetwaterStriperNut View Post

Slo-Ride? You're not too far away...what happens in your neck of the woods this time of the year? If I read your previous posts right you're getting ready for some good catching...what *general* sorts of things are you watching for/looking for on the water? .

Tight lines all!
Man, you're a better stripah fisherman than me...I pretty much fish the tailraces and when the stripers aren't there, I fish for what is.(mainly whites/smallies/spots..etc). Down here, the stripers move into the creeks in the summer searching for the right temp/oxygen..all I know about the winter is that there are some MONSTAH stripers caught on BIG live bait around the warm water discharges..nuke/steam plants. I've recently started fishing for big cats just to 'fill in' mid Dec-mid Feb.

As far as 'what's happening now' ...Guntersville dam tailrace has been yeilding a few small, schoolie sized salts and some hybs. The whites are making a move towards the tailrace, also. I suspect there may already be some decent salts below Wilson dam and possibly Nickajack. I've only fished Nickajack dam once with a guide and was very impressed with it....there's some really good striper fishing there...not heavily pressured, and when it's right, it's easy to catch fish. Big plastics on a 1/2 to 1 oz jighead is a good option and it's deep enought to fish a lightweight umbrella rig. I don't know if you live near or fish Nickajack dam, but it's a good'un! I suspect within the next 2-3 weeks, the tailraces are going to be money.
I've been told by folks in the know that when the water temp hits 50, the tailraces are a good bet for catching some quality.
here's a couple of pics of some fish we've caught below G-ville dam lately:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whites.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	9883   Click image for larger version

Name:	salt.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	9884   Click image for larger version

Name:	spot.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	9885  

— Jed Clampett
Old 02-24-2009, 08:38 AM

Well, at least you're getting out and catching SR.

Ever make it over to Weiss or Martin?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetwaterStriperNut View Post
Well, at least you're getting out and catching SR.

Ever make it over to Weiss or Martin?
nope...I've heard some good things about Weiss, though.

— Jed Clampett
Old 02-24-2009, 11:04 PM

Same here SR. Actually have heard good things about Weiss lake end specific to this time of year from what I believe to be a reliable source. Often thought about wandering over that way for a change of scenery now and then.