gear game plan - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:08 PM

Default gear game plan

last year was my first year surf casting for striper. I used (first fishing pole ever) uglystick mh/pinnacle black metal spining reel combo. i plan on getting another setup to run two poles. Planning on using spinning rig as lure caster and a second for live bait. I plan on buying daiwa sealine-x I'd like to set this one up to go 'deep to center field'. what is this forums input on quality pole and/or line. Is the Daiwa a good choice?

---------
I am a sponge so throw the knowledge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2007, 10:32 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: gear game plan

I have used the ugly stiks and I like them a lot. Especially the price. You can spend a lot of money on a rod but the ugly stik is a good choice in my book. It is a really strong rod that casts well and brings in the fish. I did have a problem with the tip half of the rod turning occasionally. I was just told how to fix that problem by rubbing bees wax on the male end so I will continue to use it for a long time. But I would buy the ugly stik with the Fuji guides on it. Im not to familiar with that reel you wanted to use. I have been using a Penn live liner with great results using both live and cut bait last season. I have been also using it tossing lures without a problem. A friend of mine has Shimanos baitrunner which is an awesome reel and they have much bigger sizes so you can pack a lot more line on it. I dont know if you have used a reel with the bait runner/Live liner feature on it but if you havent that might be a good option for you to check out and see if your interested. The penn live liner runs around $80.00 and the bigger sized shimano around $120.00. Also the shimano has been around awhile and is very rugged. Okuma also makes a bait feeder model for a pretty reasonable price. All these reels are all basically the same idea and would work very well for live bait. It all depends on the money you want to spend. These are just a few other options you could consider in case you change your mind on the Daiwa (I think thats the one you said). I wish I could help more on that reel but like I said Im not familiar with it. For the line you have a BUNCH of options and you will probably get a BUNCH of opinions. You will have to decide on if your going to use mono, a super line braided type, or others. I like Spiderwire Stealth for the fishing I do but thats just my opinion and its pricey. If you want to use a cheaper alternative I like Berkley Big Game and Berkley smooth casting. Again thats just my opinion and there could be better options for longer casting Im not sure. But I have never lost a fish due to line breakage on berkley big game mono. Hope Im not confusing you too much but theres a lot of options out there. Thats my two cents worth and I hope it helped. Hopefully someone else with some knowledge on that reel will hook you up. Good luck with the selection, and good fishing.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:02 PM
First Mate

I have a sealine-x with an Ambassaduer 6500 on it. It can get out there some, ANd is a pretty good combination. Paull Lindell wrote an article about the combo for the Spray some years ago. That is the Mass Striped BAss newsletter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2007, 11:09 PM
Striper Hunter

Well there ya go on my knowledge of that daiwa. I thought you were talking about the reel. Didnt know they made the rod too. Sorry about that.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:50 PM

I wont get confused. As i stated earlier i am a sponge. I appreciate all opinions which gives me the info to research deeper. I enjoy searching for info which in turn make me more informed which makes me sound smarter than I am when i talk striper with my friend the striper king. I didn't know about the Daiwa rod either. as for the Shimano, I just bought a Shimano low profile bait caster/combo (my second pole i ever owned) for largemouth today and nailed my first LM of season. Shimano scored some points with me today. I came across Daiwa web page and saw the bait casters, which look great. thanks for the 411.

-------------
I am a sponge so throw the knowledge.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:05 AM

If you plan on throwing conventional the Abu 7000 series reels are very hard to beat for the price.
For bait chucking with spinning gear you might want to seriously consider the Shimano Baitrunner series of reels.

There are a lot of choices in rods out there but for throwing bait on a low budget the Ocean Master series of rods from Bass Pro seem to get a lot of glowing reviews.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Striper Hunter

Ya shimano is a great choice for any angler if you dont mind a little extra cash for it. But there are things much more expensive you could buy and you may not get the long lasting quality like you would out of the shimano. If your serious about using live bait and plan to use it a lot definately go with the shimano bait runner. You wont be dissapointed with it. I believe they are the ones who brought the bait runner feature to the market and now everyone is starting to copy the idea which can only tell you one thing about shimano. They are pretty darn good. Im not sure about the their customer service because the reel has held up so long for him without a single problem.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:32 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

i have a 9' bass pro ocean master spinning combo and i love it...its my go to surf rod, i use it for throwing plugs, eels and chunks from the surf...the reel is very well built and the drag is really smooth...im confident it can pull in a few cows night after night. i also have a 10' ocean master baitcast set up, another winner in my book. both set-ups are very light weight and comfortable. when i first got the fever i wanted something good on the cheap...bass pro ocean master gave me the best of both worlds..
Old 05-09-2007, 01:34 PM
First Mate

If you really want to toss bait far then the conventional is the only way to launch anything over 5nbait. Good rod choices are the Lami Surf Kings, Lami Triflex, and Surf & Jetty. The ocean master is more of a broom stick.

For plugging the Lamis or Dolphin series along with the Triflex spinning rods with Cabo reels.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:31 PM

first so is my ugly stick 10' with the pinnacle RL80 spinner good for anything? I bought it as a combo from Dick's (first fishing pole ever) Should I keep the stick and trash the reel and switch to another reel. Or keep that setup for just little stuff? Second, As for a long caster I read about the Penn 525 mag seems really good but I read that its not American anymore, it's Chinese. not original owners. I try to avoid anything produced in china (communist state). Is this a fallicy and/or does it not matter cause its that good?

I am a sponge.........
Old 05-09-2007, 05:37 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCaster View Post
The ocean master is more of a broom stick.

For plugging the Lamis or Dolphin series along with the Triflex spinning rods with Cabo reels.

its a broom stick that gets my bait just as far as the guys who spent hundreds more than me...dont get me wrong nothing beats top end equipment, but i have to say bang for the buck ocean master has me sold..my 9' combo was $139.00 on special..i think they are $149.00 now. thats rod and reel....ive had mine 3 years...never a failure.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:28 PM
First Mate

The Penn 525 mag is still made here in the US

I have one of those Ocean Master . . . I bought it so I could toss the fish over the pier
Old 05-09-2007, 09:26 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

i do admit, the ocean master is a stiff rod...but it works well for me. im sure when i get enough cash to buy me a real top notch set up ill wonder why i didnt spent the dough in the first place...but for now its my go to all purpose rig.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:25 AM
First Mate

I don't even know what the blank for me spinning, bait hurling is. But I made it and it gets to the fish. It's yellow.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:05 AM

Could be a yellow glass Lami or if you got really lucky it might even be an old yellow Fenwick - or if you got super lucky an even older Grizzly/Fenwick.

Of course it could also be crap.

Were there any markings or numbers on it ??