What's Your Favorite Rubber? - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 06-14-2006, 04:40 PM

Correction in my last post...... I meant to say the jigheads with strong hooks cost to darn much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2006, 11:13 PM
Jigologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDB
Tuff to gain perspective on the thickness and strength of those hooks from the picture. But, they look like the ones I have issues with. I think they're called wire hooks. They do a good job of penatrating but they straighten out under a high load.
rags uses the same 635 eagleclaw hooks I use, the picture is deceiving they are quite stout from 3/0 up.. you can straighten them if you hang up with 50lb braid but I've never straightened one on a fish.. even fishing the ditch.. they are as good as you'll find for the money..

hey ragfly, that looks like the remnance from a pour off!.. I brought home 17lbs of jigs that day.. me and Dave just finished a mini pour off and did a slug of small ones 1/4 3/8 1/2 5/8.. I was so low I almost bought some
Old 06-15-2006, 08:23 AM

I need to pour some small ones myself. I am placing an order for hooks today.... I was playing with the idea of the weedless bananahead jig, DO-it has a mold up to 5/8oz. I was thinking of the Y-guard instead of the fibers. Do you think it would be worth a try?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2006, 09:42 AM
Jigologist

I've never poured any but have used 'em in some nasty spots.. they work good, you miss some fish, but won't hang up as much.. I don't like the fiber jobs much.. I don't know if the fiber is too stiff or what but missed too many fish when I tried them..
Old 06-15-2006, 10:24 AM
Pro Staff

Favorite rubber? Hmmm...
A nine inch, black, rigged sluggo rules at night if you don't have live eels. I rig mine with two hooks, and pencil weights embeded in the plastic to add a little casting distance. If I get some time soon I'll post a photo tutorial on how to rig them this way,,, if anyone is interested.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:57 PM
Striper Hunter

What about spray painting a storm shad with black or another color that they don't make? I was thinkin about trying to paint some black or blurple for the night.....Ever use teasers with the rubber?
Old 06-15-2006, 02:31 PM

Long Answer: I'm not sure what the base polymer is on the Storm products but the basic strategy for development of that type of polymer is to highly load it with an un-reactive plasticizer. First, that chemical strategy is cheap, it creates the flexibility they're after, and because it doesn't cross-link into the polymer, it leaches out over time along with the scent (also a non-reactive ingredient) and produces that oily feel and the different flavors/scents.

Yeah, I know....way to much info.

Short answer...no sticky.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:58 PM

Great stuff Tony

We should start a column here called 'ask Elmer'
or something like that. :)
Old 06-16-2006, 08:39 AM

'Ask Elmer'

Almost spit-up my coffee when I saw that.

Sorry, I get carried away sometimes when someone asks a question about a plastic or adhesive. I guess I thought everybody who sees an interesting application for a plastic or adhesive thinks to themselves, "I wonder how they formulated that and why"....guess not huh!

'Ask Elmer'
Old 06-16-2006, 08:53 AM
Pro Staff

G'mornin mister Fudd
Old 06-16-2006, 09:22 AM

Morning there Bait. Wife and newborn home yet?
Old 06-16-2006, 09:32 AM
Pro Staff

Came home from the hospital last night. All is well!
Old 06-18-2006, 11:15 AM
First Mate
Pro Staff

I use the storms 4-6" in mullet, bunker, and pearl work great. if the bait is small try a 5" storm jerking minnow reel and jerk, pause etc, works great just a p in the a to cast cus there so lite.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:41 AM

baitrunner, here is the instructions on how to rig the 9" sluggo. also check out the video!

http://65.36.235.132/merchant2/merch...egory_Code=SRS
Old 06-19-2006, 09:12 AM
Pro Staff

Hi Ragfly,
That's a good step by step instruction. I do it a little differently, but same basic idea. This idea has been around for a long time. I used to rig rubber worms this way when I was a kid fishing for bucket mouths.

In my opinion the only drawback to rigging sluggos this way as opposed to using a jig head is if you are trying to fish them very close to the bottom. With the hooks pointing down, you'll get hung up more/catch more salad than you do with a sluggo on a jig head.
Both methods have their strong points.