Hello and a few questions - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 06-01-2011, 03:21 AM
Official Member

Question Hello and a few questions

Hello ladies and gents. My family just bought a house in Long Beach Island, New Jersey, and I am looking forward to doing some striper fishing over the summer (but wouldn't mind fishing for other species) . I have very limited experience with surf fishing, and a fairly tight budget. From what I have read on Stripers24/7 and what I have heard from friends who frequently fish from the surf, I am looking at the 10' Ugly Stik bigwater spinning rod and a Penn Slammer reel. I just wanted to make sure I am not overlooking any glaring problems with this setup and see if anyone has any advice regarding either fishing in LBI, or using that setup.

Thanks for any tips or advice you can give!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2011, 08:39 PM
My Fishing Cape Cod

Default Re: Hello and a few questions

What model Penn Slammer do you have?

I own a Slammer and so far so good. Easy to clean up and repair which is always a bonus. Casts well and handles decent size bass with ease.

Ugly sticks are also a great rod. I've never broken an Ugly Stick. Handles fish quite nicely.

All in all sounds like a decent setup. Load her up with 40 pound Power Pro, learn a "Slim Beauty" knot, and attach a mono or fluorocarbon leader.

Nice selection and good luck!

Ryan
Old 06-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Official Member

I haven't purchased it yet, but I was thinking the Slammer 460 or 560. I also looked a little bit at the Shimano Baitrunner D 6000, but think it might be overkill as I likely wont be livelining anytime soon.

The Ugly Stik is only rated for 12-30 lb. test, will there be any adverse effects of using a 40 lb. test line on it?

My plan was to go with a braided line with a fluorocarbon leader because the water I will be fishing can be quite clear (although I am not really sure how clear or murky it would have to be to make a difference). Will look into the slim beauty and give it a try. Thanks.

I had another question as well. I saw somewhere that you should buy swivels that are rated at least 80 lb. test. Does that mean your leader should also be as strong?

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2011, 04:42 PM
My Fishing Cape Cod

40 pound braid has a diameter of around 10 pound mono-filament. It should work just fine on those reels and that rod. However there's no problem going a little lighter with 30 pound braid, all a matter of what an angler's most comfortable with.

Fishing with braid will give you a few big positives:
Increased strength with less diameter
No stretch and more sensitivity
Increased casting distance

But braid also has its downfalls:
Learning new braid friendly knots
Under tension braid will break immediately if it touches a sharp edge
Bit more expensive
Can be tough on the fingers

A few good braid knots that I commonly use are:
The Palomar Knot - when tying braid directly to a lure or hook
And as mentioned before the Slim Beauty - for tying braid to a leader

Both knots are easy to tie after a few practice runs.

I'll use a glove or tape up my casting finger to protect it against braid cuts when continuously casting-like plugging the Cape Cod Canal.

You can also use a swivel to attach braid to a leader if you have trouble with the Slim Beauty. I use the Palomar Knot when attaching braid to a swivel.

Just because the swivel is rated at 80 pounds, it does not mean that you need to use a leader of the same strength. Depending on the situation, you may want to use a much lighter leader, say a 30 pound fluorocarbon leader for added assurance against spooking weary fish.

Also, using a lighter leader will cause the leader to break off at the knot attached to the swivel in case you get hung up, sparing you from breaking the braid somewhere mid line.

I usually fish for bass with 50 pound power-pro with either a 100 pound spro swivel, (or I just tie a Slim Beauty) to 60 pound mono-filament. I would definitely consider this setup to be on the "heavier" side of things when it comes to striped bass fishing, however I despise losing fish to equipment failure. I appreciate the extra strength.

Hope this helps!

Ryan
Old 06-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Official Member

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions that I am sure are basic, but your answers were very helpful Ryan. I brought some notes with your recommendations to the bait and tackle shop and ended up going with basically what you said with some minor changes in lb. test due to what was available and the prices at the shop. I went with 30 lb. test braided line, 50 lb. test fluorocarbon leader, and 100 lb. test swivels.

I am tying leaders as I write this, I think I am going to try a few different ways (swivel between line and leader, knot between line and leader, etc.). I am going to try everything out tomorrow.

Oh, I ended going with the Shimano reel. The baitrunner feature is pretty cool, I am looking forward to using live eels in the near future.

Will keep you updated on how it goes and how the leaders work.

Thank you again.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:39 PM
My Fishing Cape Cod

No problem!

Don't worry about your questions being "basic." We all start out somewhere. It's just great to see someone getting excited about fishing. Reminds me of when I worked at a bait shop as a 14 year old, helping fathers and sons get rigged up for a day on the water. All good stuff.

I think you're braid, fluoro, and swivel choices are dead on. That combo should work fine for just about any scenario you'll encounter while striper fishing. It should be a good, all around setup.

Once you feel confident enough tying the slim beauty to join the braid to the leader, I'd definitely recommend using it over the swivel-to-leader connection.

The problem with using a swivel when casting is that sometimes you may accidentally reel the swivel up into the guides on you rod. This could created minor cracks, that you may not even pick up with the naked eye. These very small abrasions could catch the braid at the worst of times and cause it to snap. Like when the braid is under a lot of strain, when you're reeling in a hefty bass.

It used to happen to me, so I practiced tying the slim beauty until I felt confident with it. So far the knot has never let go. We've landed big bass and big tuna using the knot, so I have faith in it when it's tied correctly-but it will take some trial and error.

Nice choice on the reel too. Live eels are awesome and I'm sure that reel will get the job done.

Keep me posted on how things go and good luck. If you want info on fishing eels, plugging, jigging, trolling etc. I have a bunch of articles on my website.

http://www.misslorettafishing.com/Fi...-Articles.html

Tight lines,

Ryan
Old 06-05-2011, 01:06 AM
Official Member

So, I took the new rig out today and used a slim beauty knot to the leader. As long as I tie my knots at home, I will continue to use it haha. My backup leader that I brought was one with 2 swivels though, because I wouldn't have been able to tie the slim beauty on the beach. Everything went well (besides boatloads of mosquitoes) and the knot held together while I threw a 4 oz. sinker and bunker head, as well as the test a good sized skate gave it.

That brings me to my new question. I am pretty sure it was a skate, which don't have barbs(?). I wasn't completely sure, and played it safe by cutting the line an inch or 2 from its mouth. What is the proper way to handle and release a skate without getting bit/whipped/stung?

Thanks again for all of the help.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:54 PM
My Fishing Cape Cod

Nice work on your first trip with the new setup. Sounds like you had fun.

I haven't caught a skate in a while, however when I was younger I'd just grab its tail, turn it upside down, and use a pair of pliers to get the hook out.

No poison or anything on the common skates around here-at least that I am aware of.

I'd probably do things a bit differently if I was fishing in Australia, or somewhere more tropical.

Best of luck on your next trip,

Ryan