Seeking advice for a new builder... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:40 PM
Official Member

Default Seeking advice for a new builder...

hi guys, ive decided to try my hand at plug building. been wanting to try it for quite some time so im excited to get at it. im a long time decoy carver so i have quite a few tools to start with but i do not have a lathe. what specs/options should i look for when choosing a lathe for plug building? i have my eye on a grizzly model. what other advice do you have for me to get started? i do alot of topwater fishing for tuna in mass and also striper fishing. i also do alot of freshwater fishing in cenral new york. so, id love to try some topwater tuna stuff and some smaller stuff for walleye, smallmouth and pike. anyways, im looking forward to participating here. it seems like there is a great bunch of people here. best, mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2010, 09:15 AM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Default Re: Seeking advice for a new builder...

Hi Mark,

Check out this thread It lists a plethera of items you will need for building.

https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=10904

As far as a lathe goes you don't need to break the bank unless you will be doing other larger turnings. A lot of the guys use the smaller pen lathes. Variable speed is highly recommended. Check out some of the sticky threads in the top of this forum there is a pile of good info from Roccus here who is the resident Guru.