Braided Line for Penn 209 level wind conventional reel - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Official Member

Default Braided Line for Penn 209 level wind conventional reel

A friend gave me a Penn mariner rod with a Penn 209 level wind conventional reel I was thinking of spooling it up with braided line is this reel OK to have braided line? also what braided line do you guys recommend alot of people are telling me to go with fireline and other say power-pro? Ive never had a conventional rod or reel or never used braided line so I'm not sure whats compatible or not or how to do any maintenance. I do saltwater fishing mainly inshore and fish mainly for stripers, bluefish and occasionally go for blacks now that there in season.
Thanks in advance...tight lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2009, 12:48 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Braided Line for Penn 209 level wind conventional reel

Braided line usually works fine with a conventional reel. Fireline is not really a braided line as it is fused fibers. With some older reels it may be better to go with Fireline fused as they may not be braid friendly(wear and tear)
Old 10-08-2009, 11:05 PM
Official Member

thanks if I do use braid should i use a backing and how much backing I was thinking to go with 20lb braid about 300 yds the reel holds 350yds of 20lb mono. gear ratio is 2.8:1 weight 19oz also what material for backing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2009, 05:51 PM
First Mate

I always back the braid. On my older Abu I used 30# backed with 30# mono. If your reel will hold 350 of 20# mono then why not go with heavier braid? The big advantage of braid is the diameter, 30# braid is like as thick as 8# mono. I would go with 40# or 50# braid (or more)backed with around 40 to 60 yrds of equal strenth or stronger mono. The mono helps prevent the braid from spinning/slipping on the spool. Try to wet load the braid on the reel, meaning sink the rollof braid in a bucket of water while loading it. Doing so will help the braid pack and lay tighter and help prevent it from digging in later.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:54 PM
Official Member

you already got excellent advice... I run 50lbs mono under 80lb braid. I've never had a fish run off the braid and I've had several 40lb + fish on it. I run about 30yds of mono which is plenty to cover the bottom of the spool and then spool on the braid wet.... then the first time out with it I put a heavy weight on it and cast the crap out of it a few times just to get the braid tighened up on the spool.

I run braid on nearly everything I own....
Old 10-13-2009, 11:09 PM
Official Member

Thanks a million guys you guys were great help i used some tape as backing and just spooled up with 300yds of 20lb power pro i will mainly use that reel for blacks i have another conventional reel from south bend called mr bigfish that i will max out on the spool using a high test like 30 or 40 and back with 50lb mono......
Old 10-19-2009, 10:56 PM
First Mate

One more thing I think I had forgot, I have started using a newer knot(last spring) to connect braid to mono or fluoro-for backing and non swivel leaders. Even though you may never run through the braid into the mono there could be a chance. The knot is called a Sebile or FG knot. If you do a search on this site I had posted videos showing the Sebile and the FG knot. Two of the best things about these knots are if done following my instructions or finishing the Sebile similar to the FG there are no tag ends to get caught up in the level wind or guides and this knot(tested) far stronger than 2 or 3 other knots that are commonly used to connect the 2 lines.
You can also google search Sebile Knot and I think the 1st result is another good video showing the Sebile. I could not post that video on this site as it is from another forum website and it can screw up the search stats/count

Same as kaferhaus I also run braid on almost all my stuff, wellI have been doing that for several yrs now