5/31/09-Mouth of Mer. report - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 06-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Striper Envy

Default 5/31/09-Mouth of Mer. report

Early cod attempt around IOS turned up only 1 keeper.
Went in to try my luck a live lining macks.
Hammered the tinkers for 1.5 hours at about 11:00am. Started livelining around 12:30 (dead low) just outside the mouth to inside the jetties. Had some takes but only one schoolie in a few hours of trying. Not much other action on the other boats either so I rule out technique. My guess is the tide and or the front(s) that came thru yesterday kinda messed with the bite.
Anyone else out there yesterday?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: 5/31/09-Mouth of Mer. report

Steve,
I was out yesterday but not till late afternoon so the rain was pritty much the boss. However I was out on saturday and livelined some tinker macs in the mouth and did very well. We had multiple keeper size fish and one 39" fatty. The fishing so far for me in the 5 or 6 trips out has been good but the live macs seem to be producing the larger fish. Saturday we were not really prepared and didn't have the livewell set up. Halfway through the tinkers were just about dead but the stripers couldn't leave them alone.....
Old 06-01-2009, 08:40 PM
First Mate

I was in the water at 4am yesterday. It was great until it was time to pull out at the State beach ramp. Why don't people figure out how to put a boat in and out of the water before they attempt that ramp on a weekend? Friggin comical it was. You can pick out the guys who where A-Holes in the mouth by how they handle themselves at the ramp.... I'll stick with Cashman's on the weekends where they have someone directing traffic.

Picked up a mess a schoolie action on the incoming. Slowed up on the outgoing even though the fish where following the plugs right up to the boat. I got to get the lines wet, try out some new plugs and had a great time.
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2009, 11:08 PM
Striper Envy

Quote:
Originally Posted by therockfishchef View Post
Steve,
I was out yesterday but not till late afternoon so the rain was pritty much the boss.
So how'd you do while you were out yesterday? Saw a charter livelining using slider weights...Is this the preferred method or just letting them run weightless like I was doing. Had some luck last year with balloons but forgot to bring them yesterday.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:23 PM
Striper Envy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickski View Post
I was in the water at 4am yesterday. It was great until it was time to pull out at the State beach ramp. Why don't people figure out how to put a boat in and out of the water before they attempt that ramp on a weekend? Friggin comical it was.
LOL...That was me two weeks ago on the Gloucester ramp (weekday though). 1st trip of the season to go for Cod on stellwagon bank. Like a newbie, still half asleep I mistakenly unhooked my safety chain from the bow. Hopped in the boat, my buddy backed me down. click,,,click,,click,click,cl......."SHIIIIIIIT!"
The most helpless feeling....nothing I could do. Sometime during the winter/spring the clicker was released. I lucked out and the boat landed on the skeg and stopped. Cranked it back up and went fishing. Nobody but a guy already in the water saw this.

I use cashmans too just for the fact you mentioned...There usually someone there to organize the chaos.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:52 PM
Striper Hunter

For me steve the weight depends on what the tide is doing. Not much current and I can drift keeping the mac down the strike zone without anything. If the current is rippin i'll use an egg sinker. The size of the egg depends on the speed of the water. I don't really ever use balloons but I know lots of guys do. If anyone else reading this has an opinion on the balloons I'd love to hear it.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:04 AM
Striper Hunter

I do not use balloons unless there is literally no current (dead low or dead high). I always use weight and drag them along the bottom. Bigger fish are always on the bottom when the boat traffic is heavy (weekends).

Most charters use balloons so the captain can keep his sanity and controll the boat in the mouth. Those of us who fish alot forget about how green some are. Whenever I have a greenie in the boat, I end up losing tackle and getting birds nests due to them not being able to keep a drift going while maintaining bottom contact. I often look back to watch them asleep at the rod while the striper strips the mackeral from them. The fist sign of a bite is when the drift feels a little lighter and the sinker rolls sideways across the bottom. IF you don't know how that feels, then you cannot detect the bite. This frustrates them (espcially when I get a fish per drift and they end up with zero) and they lose interest quickly. I am most likely preaching to the chior, but charters mainly deal with greenies and this is a likely scenerio.

There are others who do nothing but use balloons and really clean up. I just stick to what works for me. I think live macks is the way to go during the day no matter how you fish them.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Striper Envy

Thanks guys - We used balloons last year just out side the mouth so that makes sense. The current was pretty dispersed out there and we had some luck with it as I imagine the macks could get down on there own and swim pretty freely.

Having no weights on in the current may have been our problem Sunday.

Thanks again for the tips guys. Gonna give it another try wehn I can break away from this damn anchor I call a job.