How to tail weight ? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:06 AM

Default How to tail weight ?

Hey guys, here's what I have and did. A 7" needlefish,tail is 3/4" wide. I drilled a 1/4" bit into tail end 1" deep to fit a .24oz tail weight which is 1/4 wide and 1" long.A nice fit, but couldn't use tail grommet and used a belly that fits snug over tail weight and covers the hole drilled. When I tried my second ever tail loop that looks as bad as the first, the wire went inside the grommet hole which is 1/4' wide.Seems to be tight but to many wraps. Did a float test before hand and her nose has about 1 3/4 out of water,(there is added weight about 2" further up.) Is this how it's done or is there another way. I thought about drilling deeper and filling with something and using the tial grommet. Any ideas ? Markg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2009, 11:56 AM

Default Re: How to tail weight ?

I don't entirely understand the question

If the tail weight sits flush with the tail of the plug it acts as a tail grommet.

If you muck up and drill the tailweight hole a little too deep (we all do it on occasion) use a bit of two part finger knead epoxy, the stuff that comes as a stick, looks like a colored Tootsie roll.
They have it at Home Depot and Lowes - it's great for filling belly weight holes as well.

Make a ball of it, shove it in a hole, put the weight in, run the wire through and leave it until it sets, only takes an hour or so. You can do this after sealing with BLO or before usinng the heat/epoxy method.
Try to put in a little less epoxy then you need to start with and add more and more until the tailweight sits flush.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:08 PM

Never even crossed my mind that I could use the tail weight as a grommet,makes perfect sense.All tail weights were flush.Thanks again pro.Let's see if I can hook you up down LBI now ;) Markg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 10:27 PM
LunkHead

I usually drill a shallow 1/8' hole into the end of the tailweight to accomodate the tail grommet, it's another step but I like the way the grommet finishes it off. And the hole in the tailweight centers the grommet on the end of the plug.

Sudsy is just grommet-phobic, he doesn't like the things and he has good reasons, me, I like shiny stuff.

"An Evil Barbarian with a Wrench in His Pocket......"

Old 02-19-2009, 11:50 AM

Yup, I hate grommets. The more different metals that are in contact, the more electrolysis due to salt water, and the faster your hook eyes rust. I hate rust. If you use the epoxy sealing method the wood is hard enough that you don't need em in the belly. If you use BLO you need em. I do use them in the tail but not if I have a lead tail weight there that serves the same purpose.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Lunker

i posted a question last year about belly grommets to which sudsy responded much the same as this thread, accelerated corrosion with dissimilar metals being in contact with each other. it cost me this year with a cheap ass brass swivel opening up while onto a fish.it is pretty amazing how fast hardware and hooks can start to corrode ,when exposed to salt water.its even faster when two different metals are present.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:47 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
If you muck up and drill the tailweight hole a little too deep (we all do it on occasion) use a bit of two part finger knead epoxy, the stuff that comes as a stick, looks like a colored Tootsie roll.
They have it at Home Depot and Lowes - it's great for filling belly weight holes as well.

Which of these do you use? I looked at them and wasn't sure if the wood one was water proof so I used the fiberglass Do you think it makes a difference.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:27 AM

Click image for larger version

Name:	Loctite_Epoxy_Putty.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	9880
Old 02-21-2009, 10:48 PM
Lunker

i just tried some of that stuff today,similar anyway. it was the "as seen on tv" stuff with the loud guy with the beard on the box. seems like good stuff.dries real quick,and with a small piece i was able do about ten belly holes. next time ill be a little more careful overfilling the holes though,a lot tougher to sand smooth than the exterior wood putty that i usually use.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mully537 View Post
next time ill be a little more careful overfilling the holes though,a lot tougher to sand smooth than the exterior wood putty that i usually use.
Tough is good.
I use a Porter Cable detail sander to sand em smooth.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:58 PM

I saw that at Depot and moved on and pick-up some wood putty that isn't working out at all. I see my belly wgt. holes in most of my plugs. Will pick some up.....and for the tail wgt holes. Thanks again. Markg
Old 02-24-2009, 10:30 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I use a counter sink on both ends of my tail weights prior to installing them to make a "V" shaped entrance, it aids in wiring the plug, it also allows for the use of a tail grommet...As far as electrolisis goes.... use all stainless and the problem will be solved... brass (that includes zinc coated) swivels are the problem, not the gromets... then again if you rinse your plugs with fresh water and dry them after each use the problem is also eliminated...personaly( and this is strickly my own personal opinion), there is nothing uglier than a plug without belly grommets, IMHO, they make the plug appear unfinnished... different strokes for all of us.... it's all about personal preferance....