New To Building - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 02-22-2005, 04:42 PM
Veteran Elite

Default New To Building

Actually not even new yet. Wanting to get into it. From looking at the prices of the "good" rods St Croix and G Loomis, I'm thinking it may be a little cheaper and more fun to make my own. Is this something I should just hang up and run out and buy or should I practice with some cheapo stuff first and then make the rods I want. I've been told the epoxy and reel seats are the hardest part. Seems like common sense to put one together though. I'm sure that the decorative wraps by the butt aren't easy, but hell, I don't care about looks as long as its functional

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2005, 09:00 PM

I've built 2 rods...I had a great time with both...

I got a book from the library that was from like 1960...but it was wicked helpful...

I read alot of different online articles and step-by-step guides...It was all invaluable...I don't know what I would have done without them...

www.mudhole.com is a great resource...order their free catalog, it has step by step instructions and their website has a forum that you can ask questions on...I had a question so I sent them an email, and they were very helpful... :D

A fellow rodbuilder told me before I built my first rod "to start out...the bigger the better, becasue everything is 10x easier to handle becasue everything is alot larger..."

...so my advice is...start out with something like a big spinning rod or a surf rod...it just makes everything easier...

Good Luck...

Try out this online guide...
EDITED: It's me, JB...please see my post below.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:53 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

B-Boy, I appreciate you trying to help out Jeff, but, here is why I removed your link...

The site you posted the link to does not allow people to post links to other fishing sites, or, "competitors". That certain site has a policy against the posting of URL's that link to other fishing boards, so I think the only fair thing to do is remove a link to them, when they wont allow a link to say...us. Sound fair? ;) I hope you understand, as I did not personally target your post for editing, it's just the only way to be fair to ourselves, and the other boards out there that support each other and the Striper fishing community :D

Sorry for interrupting your thread Jeff.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2005, 11:25 PM

Ya totally JB...I think its only fair...

I didn't realize they had that policy... :oops:

I totally agree with you removing that link...if I had known, I wouldn't have ever put it up...
Old 02-23-2005, 08:41 AM

Hey guys, i agree with removing links to sites that dont play nice.

I'm going to be looking to have two custom rods built.....i say built because i dont feel comfortable making my own yet. I'd love too but, i'd like these two rods built before 2006 hahaha. I think next winter is when i'll try my own rod building cotastrophy. I just started making plugs...I just mastered reel repair....and i'll start building rods next year...Hell, i'll have my own shop here in my basement before long, you guys can just stop here for free stuff, on your way fishing soon.

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS OWN DOMAIN 8)
Old 02-23-2005, 10:47 AM

I'm gonnna talk to Jim and see if I can do a "The Hows and Whats of Building Rods" ...

It seems like everyone is interested...and I've more-or-less read every book and online article on the subject...I'll throw in some stuff from personal experience...
Old 02-23-2005, 11:23 AM
Veteran

If you need any info and get stuck just ask. I build them for years.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:59 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBoy
Ya totally JB...I think its only fair...

I didn't realize they had that policy... :oops:

I totally agree with you removing that link...if I had known, I wouldn't have ever put it up...
No prob dude, dont sweat it ;)

You can definitely do a "Hows and Whats". We can have a "How To" page, and we can sticky the URL to it in the Rod forum etc. Contributions are ALWAYS welcome and encouraged :D

Old 03-05-2005, 08:11 PM
Veteran Elite

Ok, so I'm understanding that I should start big until I get better. when it comes to tools and equipment is there anything I should stay away from or something I should steer towards
Old 03-05-2005, 08:39 PM
Veteran

Start with a 7 or 7.5 rod. It will be easy to work with 11' or 13 ' are harder to work with. and you need a preety big room. Freshwater rods ,like flyrods use size A thread witch is fine. Salt water, you can use size D thread. I said it before, My first 2 or 3 rods I used telephone books as my tension bobber. and rolled it buy hand. :?: