Complete Newbie in the Tiverton Area - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Rhode Island Fishing
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rhode Island Fishing Rhode Island striped bass fishing - Local discussion & reports

Old 09-03-2012, 12:39 PM
Official Member

Default Complete Newbie in the Tiverton Area

Hi all - been into freshwater fishing my entire life and just now starting to get into saltwater. Looking for some advice on fishing the Sakonnet River. No boat so shore fishing is it for me.

Any insight on what I should expect to catch? Tips on baits/lures?

I see people fishing from the Seapowet reserve so was going to give that a shot first but any other tips would be awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2012, 08:27 AM
Pro Staff

Default Re: Complete Newbie in the Tiverton Area

Welcome neighbor

The lure of choice really depends on what part of the water column you intend to work, and what the prevalent forage fish in the area is at a particular time of year. Match the hatch, as they say.

When there are bunker around, wooden metal lip swimmers like dannys and surfsters have always done well for me around that area. Darters are another favorite when working areas that have a good current sweep. I really like the 3oz darter from Tattoo Tackle.

If you see a red Silverado crew cab truck with fishing stickers on the back window, stop and say hi. Always happy to take some time out to chat and help out a newbie
Old 09-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Official Member

Thanks so much for the reply , saw you were from new bedford,I am actually from fall river. Hope to see you there at some point, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2013, 05:32 PM
Official Member

Hey there Neighbor(s)!

I actually just moved here recently as well. I actually do live in Tiverton ;)...

I know the post is old, but maybe you're still around. What I can tell you is that the bunker are in... However, being a newbie myself, is how to find those elusive basstards (pun intended)...

Ran into a nice school awhile ago on the boat and landed a keeper... then poof! Didn't see that school or where it went.

At the moment, if you run up on a school, you should be good. Finding them is the hard part :)

Tight lines,

Brute