Anyone use ETEX Spray? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:36 AM
First Mate

Default Anyone use ETEX Spray?

I picked up some Envirotex Spray and I was wondering if anyone else uses it? It says it's a sealer and finish. I was thinking of using before applying Etex Lite finish(Pour-On) as a scratch coat. I also have lacquer but I thought maybe this might work better. It also says -"may be used under Envirotex Polymer coatings or as a finish coat"

Just wondering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 12:17 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Default Re: Anyone use ETEX Spray?

Where did you get it. I would love to use it. I haven't seen it though.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:55 PM
First Mate

I got it at AC Moore the arts and craft supply store. I don't know if they have them up there in MA. If you can't get it let me know and I will pick one up and send it to you..

This is a link to the AC Moore page with the spray. You can also order it from them or if need be I can ship. I think I paid around $.50 less in the store http://www.acmoore.com/nsearch.aspx?...=&spellcheck=y

This link is for a store search using Whitinsville, MA as a search point http://www.acmoore.com/e-acm.StoreLo...StoreLocator=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Veteran Elite

Sounds easy enough for even me to use.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:11 PM
First Mate

I'm still coating with Envirotech(Etex) pour on epoxy finish. Actually I seal the plug before paint with Etex also. The cap on the can of Spray also says Clear Acrylic. So I take it that this is a Acrylic base finish
Old 09-24-2009, 08:21 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I've posted about this product several times in these forums, I used it exclusivly as a scratch coat for two years, the local A/C moore stopped carrying it, I now use lacquer ( again) as my scratch coat...

be aware that the E-Tex spray contains acetone ( as does most of those clear sprays) it is not compatible with all paints...

another side from this is the smell... it is extremly flamable and has a very noxious odor..so if your not set up with good outdoor ventilation, it could be a problem...
Old 09-24-2009, 04:50 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

I actually looked for it at AC Moores near me also and could not find it. I will have to see if it is avaialable on line. Cool!
Old 09-25-2009, 11:21 PM
First Mate

It was a pain in the arse to find in the store near me. Actually I was looking for the Pour On at two different stores and they told me they did not have it. They were wrong as they did. It was not near any of the paints or other finishes, it was by itself. In the two stores near me it was in the isle with unfinished tems like jewelery boxes, bird houses and stuff like that. If you need I can send it to you. They also do sell it online.

Roc- do you know off hand what paints it is not compatible with?
Old 09-29-2009, 10:25 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseystriper View Post
It was a pain in the arse to find in the store near me. Actually I was looking for the Pour On at two different stores and they told me they did not have it. They were wrong as they did. It was not near any of the paints or other finishes, it was by itself. In the two stores near me it was in the isle with unfinished tems like jewelery boxes, bird houses and stuff like that. If you need I can send it to you. They also do sell it online.

Roc- do you know off hand what paints it is not compatible with?

I have used it as a top coat for test plugs painted with Krylon, and it lifted the paint... more cure time on the paint ( more than a few hours) may have stopped this probelm, because it was a test plug, I wasnt concerned... I used it over Delta, Anita's and Createx acrylic water based paints with out issue, but you MUST. let the paint cure for 48 hours before spraying the scratch coat or adhesion problems will result... once you spray the scratch coat, dont touch the plug until the scratch coat has dried completly or it WILL smudge the paint ( even though it is water base) once dry I've never had an adhesion problem, in fact it seems to harden the paint , kind of like a heat cure... something that I have gone to last season in an effort to make a better adhesion... the thing to remember in all this... each process is only as good as the one before it... and it all starts with the sealer.. if it is not fully cured the plug will peel...
Old 10-01-2009, 05:08 PM
First Mate

Thank you for that info Roc. I think I had run into that same problem. I had applied the etex spray but I think I should have waited a day longer before spraying. The paint underneath had become soft and I then just pulled/rolled finish and paint right off the plug. I did not feel the paint would harden as the finish on top was dry. The problem may have also been due to humidity.