Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Homemade lathe...

31K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  PolishPlugger 
#1 ·
OK as promised I'll give some photo's of my homemade plug lathe/rod wrapper, she's not pretty but it will get the job done until you get a "real" lathe...

the bed is 3/4" plywood, the fixed rail is 3/4" maple (pine will do) the headstock is 3/4 maple and the removable tail stock is 2" pine witha length of 3/8" threaded rod ground to a point, a pair of wing nuts lock it in the posistion you want...

power comes from an 3/4" variable speed drill....

the three shots show the beggining of the process, once the stock is sized the the largest diameter you will turn a line is drwn down and a template is tacked to the bed, the template is drawn on 1/4" plywood

See less See more
#31 ·
Do you think that a standard lath could be set up to work with the duplicator like your setup?
I sure need to turn out a bunch of baits. There just hard to find here. everyone has small top water baits. And the 6"+ baits I have out catch the smaller baits.
Pete

#35 ·
Hey guys, here are some pics of a homemade lathe I made in about 2 hours that works pretty good. My uncle gave me the motor which originally had a grinding wheel on it so I modified it to turn plugs. I use my dremel and sand paper to shape the plugs and I can usually turn 5-6 per hour. I have had some luck with my own plugs catching a bunch of bluefish and hooking up with a yellowfin tuna on a trip to the 100 square with the squid plug. I was using a rod with only 15lb test mono and even though it was only a 20lb fish it stripped all the line off and lost the fish and the plug. It felt good to hookup with a tuna on my own handmade plug. I figured i would post some pics to give some ideas on how to make your own lathe. Good luck this season and tight lines. Paul

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.