Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

hooks question

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  all about fishing 
#1 · (Edited)
Im trying to get some new treble hooks and can't find what size the ones on my plug are. Any ideas, gibbs 3 oz plugs, also what is a good hook to use and whats the deal with split rings

#2 ·
VMC,3/0 size, 4x trebles will work for that size plug. Although, I have re-hooked some, in the past with 4/0 trebles.
There are other 3/0 trebles, but strength is the key. The "X" refers to the "times" strong.
The VMC's are permasteel.:smile:

#3 ·
Theres a size chart in the tackle and gear thread ad.
I will move this post there as well. Jims answer is right on.
Theres also a thread on dremel cutting the hooks so as not to have to use the split rings.
If I have time to search it later Ill post it up in here.

#6 ·
You use a dremel cutting wheel. If you never used that before be careful and always wear eye protection. :trout:

You want to "saw" back and forth and work your way through the hook eye. If you just put the wheel down on the hook and do not "saw" you make a groove the same shape as the wheel and the friction force will make the wheel jump forward - often resulting in a slight twist of the wheel in the groove causing it to break. If you "saw" then you have only one point on the wheel touching the steel and the friction force is low. Also be sure not to twist all all once the cut gets a little deep. The wheel will bind on the sides of the groove and you will get that jump/break thing happening.

#7 ·
Did the Dremel thing for years, don't do it anymore. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and pick up a pair of the HK Porter mini bolt cutters, about $15 +/-
The perfect tool for the job

9 inch Wire Cutter

Product Description

H.K.Porter, 9`` Wire Cutter, Mini Bolt Cutter, Center Cut Blades, Cuts Hard Wire, Maximum Hardness Wire, 115,000 Tensile Hard Wire, Red Cushion Grip Handles, 5/32`` Wide Jaw Capacity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.