Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Safety First.

Tags
safety
7K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  fishstripers 
#1 ·
1. A good friend of mine almost lost his house and possibly worse, to a fire caused by linseed oil soaked rags which he used to wipe down his plugs, after sealing. Rags with any combustable should be wet down and disposed of outside the house. There are many documented cases of spontaneous combustion fires from this source, so take heed.

Please feel free to add to this list:

#2 ·
HUSKY said:
1. A good friend of mine almost lost his house and possibly worse, to a fire caused by linseed oil soaked rags which he used to wipe down his plugs, after sealing. Rags with any combustable should be wet down and disposed of outside the house. There are many documented cases of spontaneous combustion fires from this source, so take heed.

Please feel free to add to this list:
Raw linseed is the worst, boiled isn't as bad . Never put them in a coffee container or a confined space. Same with steel wool.

#4 ·
HUSKY said:
ALWAYs wear eye protection and breathing filters when turninf and sanding wood. Some of it can make you quite sick.
Particularly exotics. Turned a very small piece of Rosewood without a mask on figuring it was so small thare wouldn't be a problem - I was wrong. Spent 3 days with my lungs on fire.

Also, don't forget to remove any rings and NEVER wear any loose clothing or gloves around your lathe, drill press and table saw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.