Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Tags
2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Roccus 
#1 ·
Hey guys i know you have prob had this question a million times and i will prob get a link in return, but i figured i ask. I am interested in getting started in building some plugs i know nothing pretty much on building, looking for some direction on tools i need and maybe a good book. Any ideas

#2 ·
Welcome to the site, and welcome to the madness that is plugbuilding.
The search feature will help a lot to answer any questions you may have to start, after you've spent some time reading come back and ask any specific questions you might still have.
Also, look up at the "Sticky" articles at the top of this forum, there are 2 "How-To" articles by roccus, well worth the read, will shed a lot of light into what it takes to get plugs built.

#4 ·
Handcarved bunker thread, in the best threads ever section.

Thats where I started.
whats up mike...its been a while. i hope everything is well with you brotha.

search for a post by sudsy...he has the best step by step "how to" build a plug... try searching by user and type in "how to" or "plug building"....you will know when you find it...it gives the overall steps from start to finish. tools are another animal...look through posts by roccus for both building and tools needed....the amount of information here on the site is amazing, if you pay attention and absorb the informaton you will do well.

#5 ·
addicted... plug building can be as hard or as easy as you make it... the tools you use can be as simple as a pocket knife and some sand paper and a ton of elbow grease or.. ( which willl happen if you stay with it) as complex as a room or basement dedicated to plug building, featuring , dust colectors,multiple lathes, saws and drilling devises.... as time progresses, you will learn to make jigs and fixtures to make exact replicas a possibility, you will design and fish your very own plugs, not a copy or knock off of somebody elses....plug building can be frustating, lots of trial and error can go into it, but the rewards are many... dont think that by building plugs that you are going to save alot of money.. truth is, each plug will more than likely cost you thousands! For now, start with a few kits, maybe make some hand carves.... the world is your class room... dig in and enjoy the ride...

Roc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.