The Hows and Whats of Trolling for Stripers - Page 4 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Trolling for Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Trolling for Stripers How tos - instruction - Downriggers Planer boards - gear and other techniques and tips

Old 05-21-2005, 08:22 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Welcome to the board! Looks like we may have something in common....a last name

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2005, 12:16 PM
Official Member

Thanks for the welcome. Most of my clan are from the inland ME area around Madison. Another small bunch in the Windsor VT area. I've been made to feel real welcome here. Thanks. Jack
Old 05-22-2005, 12:44 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Cool. Be sure to check out the N.E. forum 8)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2005, 08:06 AM

Does anybody use downriggers with the Tube n Worm?
Old 06-08-2005, 08:24 AM

Most use lead core to get the tube'n worm deeper.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:32 PM
Lunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtale19
Does anybody use downriggers with the Tube n Worm?
I'll be trying to catch stripers using downriggers this season. Have always used leadcore in the past,but I have new downriggers and want to catch fish on lighter tackle. I'll be sure to let you know how it pans out.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:36 PM

I will be looking for your posts. Do me a favor and go out Thursday or friday so that when I go this weekend i'll have some history! Nice boat. Fisherman? Love Lunds.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Lunker

Quote:
I will be looking for your posts. Do me a favor and go out Thursday or friday so that when I go this weekend i'll have some history! Nice boat. Fisherman? Love Lunds.
Sorry...can't get out till Saturday am. I have never used the tubes and don't own any. Have to place an order today. What's the HOT color? I've got plenty of other things to troll in the meantime.

The boat is a 20' Fisherman. I love it!! So much room it seems like it's twice as big as my 18' Starcraft was. This weekend will be the maiden voyage in the saltwater. Hope I can get it good and bloody first trip out!
Old 06-08-2005, 01:38 PM

A friend has an 18 Fisherman, I have a 16' Rebel. Next one will be a Pro V, prob an 18'. Honestly I have never caught a Striper on Tube and Worm. Red an Black I am told are the best Colors. Live worms, go slow and get near the bottom. Good luck with the boat and keep posting...
Old 06-08-2005, 01:51 PM
Lunker

Quote:
A friend has an 18 Fisherman, I have a 16' Rebel. Next one will be a Pro V, prob an 18'. Honestly I have never caught a Striper on Tube and Worm. Red an Black I am told are the best Colors. Live worms, go slow and get near the bottom. Good luck with the boat and keep posting...
Yup...red and black is what I was thinking. Thanks for the tip. The Pro V looks like a nice fishing boat. Don't think you can go wrong with that,but consider a 20' if possible. So much more room.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:20 PM

17400 views. Seems like a lot of guys like to troll for bass. Ya think? :wtg:
Old 07-09-2005, 04:57 PM

im new to wire line jigging and was wondering if anyone had any helpful tips on it for a novice. is it better to jerk it continuously or troll and jerk or just troll at a constanct pace?
Old 07-09-2005, 06:33 PM
Veteran

jig it and go back slow that then you go back you don't make like a loop in the line. Because when you start to use wire line that will make a kink in the line . The wire will break right on the kink. If you see a kink take it out right away curl it out the same way. So start out the right way jigging. It will come in handy later.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:20 PM
Pro Staff

Over the next couple weeks, as I wait for my boat to arrive (last weenend in July) , I'm going to be doing my homework and trying to get set up for a little trolling action. This will be my first boat and my first attempt at trolling. So not only will I be entering unfamiliar waters for the first time, I'll also be working with an unfamiliar set up.

I was thinking of picking up a few tubes and an umbrella rig or two if I can scrounge up the funds somehow. I only have one conventional reel, and am hesitant to fill it with leadcore, as I'm sure that I'll want to use it for other things as well. So I'll probably leave the braid on it and drop a weight in front of the leader to get the depth I need,, and see if I can get it to work like that. I have 30# Power Pro on my conventional reel right now, can that handle an umbrella rig if trolled slowly?

I've read everything that I can find on here about trolling tubes and umbrella rigs, so I feel pretty prepared,, except for knowing where to go. I know where I can feel pretty confident about results with eels at night, but during the day I'm going to be trying my hand at both finding some live bait and trolling. Can anyone familiar with this area point me in the right direction?

The guy that's bringing my boat up is going to be out with me all weekend weather permitting (expecting to catch fish of course, lol) but I'm sure we'll spend most of our daytime hours focused on scouting out the area and trolling around. I need to find a detailed chart of the area too,, I think that would keep us from wasting too much time. Does anyone know of nautical charts that I can look at online?

Maybe Cuzn Eddy and Briggs could give me a couple pointers on where to start?? If the weather is nice I think I'd be pretty comfortable in the bays around here, but the boat's only a 16'er, so I have to keep that in mind.

In the meantime, I need to get back out and do a little chunking in the early morning hours before work. Haven't gotten a line wet in a week and I'm already showing serious signs of withdrawl, lol. :coffee:
Old 08-31-2005, 06:19 PM

This is a test post for page 5.