Late season stripers. - Stripers247.com Forums
 
Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-23-2016, 08:30 PM
yakman yakman is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 78
Default Late season stripers.

Its hard to believe that run is already coming to a end. It has been a great season for many people this year. Many personal best were caught this season. It makes me believe that the new regulations are indeed working and hope to continue to see larger fish caught in the following seasons. I have yet to fish late season stripers. I hear that stripers can be caught in some of the feeder creeks and flats on lures. I plan on attempting this for the first time. Not looking for honey holes but curious if anyone would be willing to share some pointers to target some of the year round stripers that stay in the hudson. I know im not the only one who wants to to let this season go.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 05-23-2016, 11:41 PM
FyshhTrap's Avatar
FyshhTrap FyshhTrap is offline
First Mate
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: schenectady,n.y.
Posts: 326
Default Re: Late season stripers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakman View Post
Its hard to believe that run is already coming to a end. It has been a great season for many people this year. Many personal best were caught this season. It makes me believe that the new regulations are indeed working and hope to continue to see larger fish caught in the following seasons. I have yet to fish late season stripers. I hear that stripers can be caught in some of the feeder creeks and flats on lures. I plan on attempting this for the first time. Not looking for honey holes but curious if anyone would be willing to share some pointers to target some of the year round stripers that stay in the hudson. I know im not the only one who wants to to let this season go.
Use pencil poppers or any large topwater on out going tides, fish in areas you would normally, ie. any feeder creek outlet(rushing water)
Where are you fishing? I also usually save this fishing for Sept.
__________________
Its almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is fishing.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-24-2016, 07:10 AM
Kirch Kirch is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Albany ny
Posts: 94
Default Re: Late season stripers.

I'm guessing that the major spawn has happened near Albany. Is it pretty much over in that area? Once they start spawning, I thought the bite dissolved to almost nothing. What should I expect if I head out after work today?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 05-24-2016, 07:23 AM
FyshhTrap's Avatar
FyshhTrap FyshhTrap is offline
First Mate
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: schenectady,n.y.
Posts: 326
Default Re: Late season stripers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirch View Post
I'm guessing that the major spawn has happened near Albany. Is it pretty much over in that area? Once they start spawning, I thought the bite dissolved to almost nothing. What should I expect if I head out after work today?
we"ve been doing good still on the outgoing tide all the way till flat out.
Try with topwater sticks like PencilPoppers and Chugger style lures, all low water near channels etc, . I honestly stay with the 2 hours as the sun is setting but I know people are still hitting them during light in any skinny water.
Don't worry ,Stripers are in the river all summer,small schoolies up to 25-30"
Have at it, top water is Fun!!
__________________
Its almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is fishing.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-24-2016, 08:43 AM
Kirch Kirch is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Albany ny
Posts: 94
Default Re: Late season stripers.

So is the herring bite over then?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-24-2016, 08:57 AM
FyshhTrap's Avatar
FyshhTrap FyshhTrap is offline
First Mate
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: schenectady,n.y.
Posts: 326
Default Re: Late season stripers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirch View Post
So is the herring bite over then?
No, the herring bite is still definetly on, if you sabiki some (they were still at the Dam) one guy was using small strips and catching alot of small schoolies, larger fish 27-28in. , had as many as 2-3 herring in its stomach, most of our bigger fish were caught on topwater. Our shore group did not keep Any fish, this one fish was posted a few days ago by someone on the forum who did keep one and suspected they were feeding heavily for the return run.
__________________
Its almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is fishing.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-26-2016, 02:30 PM
Cruisinfanatic Cruisinfanatic is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Clifton Park
Posts: 21
Default Re: Late season stripers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirch View Post
So is the herring bite over then?
no problem catching herring this morning near Albany.
caught 1 striper
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-26-2016, 08:30 PM
FlynFish87's Avatar
FlynFish87 FlynFish87 is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 28
Default

Some of the outflows along the railroad tracks can be good post-season. I think it was OneBite who had a technique to dial-in his setup to mostly catch striper over green bass in the creeks.There's some good info in some of the old threads...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-27-2016, 07:11 AM
yakman yakman is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 78
Default

Thanks for the info guys. I will have to dig up some of those old treads. I figure once bass season opens on the hudson I will target bass and hope to get a small striper or two. Im gonna still get out this weekend and see if i can find some bait by kingston. If not Ill be heading done to newburgh. Good luck every one who is still trying. Its gone be a busy weekend on the river with the holiday so be careful!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-27-2016, 10:51 PM
FyshhTrap's Avatar
FyshhTrap FyshhTrap is offline
First Mate
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: schenectady,n.y.
Posts: 326
Default Re: Late season stripers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlynFish87 View Post
Some of the outflows along the railroad tracks can be good post-season. I think it was OneBite who had a technique to dial-in his setup to mostly catch striper over green bass in the creeks.There's some good info in some of the old threads...
TONS of good info from years back!!!
__________________
Its almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is fishing.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-27-2016, 11:02 PM
justneedthat1bite's Avatar
justneedthat1bite justneedthat1bite is offline
absolute trophy hunter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: saugerties,NY
Posts: 198
Default

I'm looking forward to catchin some June stripers. And September- November lol. Fish bigger on post spawners and smaller in the fall. I love a willow leaf spinnerbaits in the fall ripping em as fast as I can with Aggressive sweeps of the rod, like almost hookset aggressive. Tons more to it than that but that's my starting point on how I approach the seasons.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-29-2016, 02:41 PM
yakman yakman is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 78
Default

Thanks for the info guys. Tried by some railroad outflows today and found a major school of baby stripers. All around 6-8 inchs. All were fun on the fly rod. Will def continue to chase those guys around. Im sure some larger guys will stage up there through out the summer and fall. On on side note justonebite I saw that video of the 43incher your friend caught, epic. Ive been stuck at 38 inchs for the past 2 season. Hopefully next season I will join the 40inch club. Good luck to everyone.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-29-2016, 03:08 PM
FyshhTrap's Avatar
FyshhTrap FyshhTrap is offline
First Mate
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: schenectady,n.y.
Posts: 326
Default Re: Late season stripers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justneedthat1bite View Post
I'm looking forward to catchin some June stripers. And September- November lol. Fish bigger on post spawners and smaller in the fall. I love a willow leaf spinnerbaits in the fall ripping em as fast as I can with Aggressive sweeps of the rod, like almost hookset aggressive. Tons more to it than that but that's my starting point on how I approach the seasons.
I make spinnerbaits in size 1oz., 1 1/2oz. and 2 1/2oz. for Stripers if you are interested, also have them posted on my profile pics albums.
These are Huge and very well made on Musky grade .051 gauge wire and .040 heavy blades, they are Double skirted for bulk , 7/0 and 8/0 hooks.
pm me if you are interested.
__________________
Its almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is fishing.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
late, season, stripers

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A down season for saltwater striped bass CaptainMorgan! DelMarVA 2 02-20-2010 07:24 PM
Southern stripers Mr Ed South Carolina - Interior 19 08-31-2008 04:40 AM
Stripers on the Move / Sacramento and Feather Rivers CaptainMorgan! California - Lakes, Rivers, Bay and Delta 0 03-20-2007 03:40 AM
Stripers Forever 2005 Fishing Survey Results merrillizer Stripers Forever 0 12-05-2005 11:50 PM
Lake Anna, VA stripers 1/15/05 mikesxpress Virginia's Rivers, Lakes and Impoundments 0 01-16-2005 07:46 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2013 Stripers247.com LLC
Affiliated Sites:   Noreast.com   Allcoast.com    2coolfishing.com