Late season stripers. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 05-23-2016, 08:30 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Late season stripers.

Its hard to believe that run is already coming to a end. It has been a great season for many people this year. Many personal best were caught this season. It makes me believe that the new regulations are indeed working and hope to continue to see larger fish caught in the following seasons. I have yet to fish late season stripers. I hear that stripers can be caught in some of the feeder creeks and flats on lures. I plan on attempting this for the first time. Not looking for honey holes but curious if anyone would be willing to share some pointers to target some of the year round stripers that stay in the hudson. I know im not the only one who wants to to let this season go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2016, 11:41 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Late season stripers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakman View Post
Its hard to believe that run is already coming to a end. It has been a great season for many people this year. Many personal best were caught this season. It makes me believe that the new regulations are indeed working and hope to continue to see larger fish caught in the following seasons. I have yet to fish late season stripers. I hear that stripers can be caught in some of the feeder creeks and flats on lures. I plan on attempting this for the first time. Not looking for honey holes but curious if anyone would be willing to share some pointers to target some of the year round stripers that stay in the hudson. I know im not the only one who wants to to let this season go.
Use pencil poppers or any large topwater on out going tides, fish in areas you would normally, ie. any feeder creek outlet(rushing water)
Where are you fishing? I also usually save this fishing for Sept.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:10 AM
Striper Hunter

I'm guessing that the major spawn has happened near Albany. Is it pretty much over in that area? Once they start spawning, I thought the bite dissolved to almost nothing. What should I expect if I head out after work today?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2016, 07:23 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirch View Post
I'm guessing that the major spawn has happened near Albany. Is it pretty much over in that area? Once they start spawning, I thought the bite dissolved to almost nothing. What should I expect if I head out after work today?
we"ve been doing good still on the outgoing tide all the way till flat out.
Try with topwater sticks like PencilPoppers and Chugger style lures, all low water near channels etc, . I honestly stay with the 2 hours as the sun is setting but I know people are still hitting them during light in any skinny water.
Don't worry ,Stripers are in the river all summer,small schoolies up to 25-30"
Have at it, top water is Fun!!
Old 05-24-2016, 08:43 AM
Striper Hunter

So is the herring bite over then?
Old 05-24-2016, 08:57 AM
First Mate

Quote:
No, the herring bite is still definetly on, if you sabiki some (they were still at the Dam) one guy was using small strips and catching alot of small schoolies, larger fish 27-28in. , had as many as 2-3 herring in its stomach, most of our bigger fish were caught on topwater. Our shore group did not keep Any fish, this one fish was posted a few days ago by someone on the forum who did keep one and suspected they were feeding heavily for the return run.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:30 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
no problem catching herring this morning near Albany.
caught 1 striper
Old 05-26-2016, 08:30 PM
Striper Hunter

Some of the outflows along the railroad tracks can be good post-season. I think it was OneBite who had a technique to dial-in his setup to mostly catch striper over green bass in the creeks.There's some good info in some of the old threads...
Old 05-27-2016, 07:11 AM
Striper Hunter

Thanks for the info guys. I will have to dig up some of those old treads. I figure once bass season opens on the hudson I will target bass and hope to get a small striper or two. Im gonna still get out this weekend and see if i can find some bait by kingston. If not Ill be heading done to newburgh. Good luck every one who is still trying. Its gone be a busy weekend on the river with the holiday so be careful!
Old 05-27-2016, 10:51 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlynFish87 View Post
Some of the outflows along the railroad tracks can be good post-season. I think it was OneBite who had a technique to dial-in his setup to mostly catch striper over green bass in the creeks.There's some good info in some of the old threads...
TONS of good info from years back!!!
Old 05-27-2016, 11:02 PM
absolute trophy hunter

I'm looking forward to catchin some June stripers. And September- November lol. Fish bigger on post spawners and smaller in the fall. I love a willow leaf spinnerbaits in the fall ripping em as fast as I can with Aggressive sweeps of the rod, like almost hookset aggressive. Tons more to it than that but that's my starting point on how I approach the seasons.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:41 PM
Striper Hunter

Thanks for the info guys. Tried by some railroad outflows today and found a major school of baby stripers. All around 6-8 inchs. All were fun on the fly rod. Will def continue to chase those guys around. Im sure some larger guys will stage up there through out the summer and fall. On on side note justonebite I saw that video of the 43incher your friend caught, epic. Ive been stuck at 38 inchs for the past 2 season. Hopefully next season I will join the 40inch club. Good luck to everyone.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:08 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by justneedthat1bite View Post
I'm looking forward to catchin some June stripers. And September- November lol. Fish bigger on post spawners and smaller in the fall. I love a willow leaf spinnerbaits in the fall ripping em as fast as I can with Aggressive sweeps of the rod, like almost hookset aggressive. Tons more to it than that but that's my starting point on how I approach the seasons.
I make spinnerbaits in size 1oz., 1 1/2oz. and 2 1/2oz. for Stripers if you are interested, also have them posted on my profile pics albums.
These are Huge and very well made on Musky grade .051 gauge wire and .040 heavy blades, they are Double skirted for bulk , 7/0 and 8/0 hooks.
pm me if you are interested.