First Time Hudson Stripers From Shore - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 03-09-2017, 08:32 AM
Official Member

Default First Time Hudson Stripers From Shore

A combination of being too restless to wait the extra two weeks until April 15th in NYC/Long Island and wanting to check something new off the list has compelled me to want to go catch stripers in the Hudson this year. I am willing to put time in but am limited to weekends and would prefer not to have to make multiple trips over bridges. So I was wondering if anybody would be willing to give me some general advice to increase my chances of success during the early season.

Bait or plugs? If bait, I know worms and clams work best down by me in Jamaica Bay earlier in the season. Is that true in the Hudson as well?

Not looking to spot burn, but is there a general area to focus on? Also, how is shore access? Would I be able to explore random spots I might find or do I have to stick to parks or something? Are there any neighborhoods that don't allow street parking?

Anything else you can think of to help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2017, 07:06 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: First Time Hudson Stripers From Shore

Striper fishing in the river is tough,early season is tougher and fishing from shore is the toughest in my opinion. I started from shore in the Croton area and have since moved up to a small center console. What I've heard from others/read on here/ personally experienced is that the fish will stack up in the southern portion of the river (yonkers to tarrytown area) early in the season while waiting for a good push of freshwater from either snowmelt or a heavy rain to spur them on their way upriver. People have caught them on plugs, worms and cut bait. If there are herring in the river I fish that over bloods and if bunker are there that over herring, I havent had too much success with plugs but havent really given them much effort because the water is cold and I personally think the fish are too lazy to hit one unless it is right in front of it. There are many parks from yonkers to peekskill that have fishing access, a little leg work with google maps will pay off if you try. There arent many bait shops in the area unfortunately, so call ahead and ask if they have fresh herring/bunker. My best success comes of the freshest bait I can get, but ive also had them hit on a herring chunk that sat in the outboard well all day in the sun.That being said you cant catch em if youre at home, good luck. BTW, there are guys on here that kill it further up river but down by me I consider a 5 fish day a great day of river fishing. Ive killed them down in Jbay, mill basin and the rockaways so if thats the kind of fishing youre expecting you will be disapointed.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:15 AM
Official Member

Default Re: First Time Hudson Stripers From Shore

Quote:
Originally Posted by str1persn1per View Post
Striper fishing in the river is tough,early season is tougher and fishing from shore is the toughest in my opinion. I started from shore in the Croton area and have since moved up to a small center console. What I've heard from others/read on here/ personally experienced is that the fish will stack up in the southern portion of the river (yonkers to tarrytown area) early in the season while waiting for a good push of freshwater from either snowmelt or a heavy rain to spur them on their way upriver. People have caught them on plugs, worms and cut bait. If there are herring in the river I fish that over bloods and if bunker are there that over herring, I havent had too much success with plugs but havent really given them much effort because the water is cold and I personally think the fish are too lazy to hit one unless it is right in front of it. There are many parks from yonkers to peekskill that have fishing access, a little leg work with google maps will pay off if you try. There arent many bait shops in the area unfortunately, so call ahead and ask if they have fresh herring/bunker. My best success comes of the freshest bait I can get, but ive also had them hit on a herring chunk that sat in the outboard well all day in the sun.That being said you cant catch em if youre at home, good luck. BTW, there are guys on here that kill it further up river but down by me I consider a 5 fish day a great day of river fishing. Ive killed them down in Jbay, mill basin and the rockaways so if thats the kind of fishing youre expecting you will be disapointed.
Ha ha, yeah, I am not expecting anything crazy. That was good info though, thanks very much. I'll do a little snooping around and see if I can't find some herring. Worse comes to worse I can get some bunker from Bernies.