Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

That Darn Cape Cod Canal!!

7K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  dave3701 
#1 ·
OK, I'm new at surfcasting but not totally clueless,I like the cape cod canal cause it's easy for me to get to and it's not that far away and besides my friend lives near there,So here's my problem. I often hear that fishing at night into early morning is best,But I also hear about West Side and East Side,Slack tides,"Watch for the white water" "Fish the rips" "Go at high tide" and "Watch the Current" What does all this mean? And most importantly How do I know all this BEFORE I waste a 1/4 gas of $3 gas?
Here's what I'd like to do, Is drift chunks basically but at the same time I was told to get Fresh Pogies...Everytime I make a cast the bait just makes a 180 degree turn to the shore,or get hung up on the rocks and lose my rigs and my mind.I don't know where else to surfcast without making a hike up to plum island (I live in Fall River) So the Canal would be perfect for me since it's not too far away,but I'm getting frustrated with it..Besides how am I suppose to get fresh bait from the bait shop if the close at 7pm for a 3am fishing trip? Thanx for any help.

#7 ·
i have been fishin the canal for a while now, and it still kicks my ass every time i go. for me the best time to chunk the bottom of the ditch is when the tide is "slack"(when the current is at its slowest/shifting from incomming to out going and vise-versa) with a slower current your bait wont get dragged to the shore tangling with the guy next to ya. even with slower current i have found for me big weight or no weight is best. for bottom i use 4,5,6,8 ounce bank sinkers and heave it out as far as i can, and when i reel in i do it quick to keep from snagging, this method has cut down my lost tackle big time. when the current picks up i drift my bait with no weight. i have had some ok fish that way durring the day. at night i fish a lot closer to the edge drifting or plugging. a lot of guys use jigs but expect to lose a few lbs of lead that way. the regulars topwater at first light, be ready the strikes are short. for me the canal is a love/hate thing i hate the canal but i find myself there quite often because i know there are BIG ones in there. hang tight and try different things, you will develop your own methods of fishing the canal that work for ya over time.

#8 ·
The canal can be a pain in the ass, i've been there prolly 5 or 6 times this year,with only 3 keepa's (barely legal ones). but even the small ones feel huge when you're goin against the current. i havn't had too much luck with the live stuff. i usually sling the jigs out to the mid. of the canal and let em bounce off the bot.when the current is rippin ,it's a F'N workout... but well worth it when ya hook up.. I'm thinking about doin the canal thing sat night. good luck to all

#9 ·
The Canal....All I know is what works for me.

I use 8 ounces of lead on a fish finder, and wire leader, when fishing bait.

I try to fish the slack. That being said, I got my Striper, Saturday, 45 minutes before slack, And a number of Blues, well into either side of slack on 3 different tides this weekend.

The current is a force, but also a reality.

Regarding loss of tackle...Again reality. Part of that reality is that you must make your own rigs. Any local shop should point you in the right direction.

I would say keep at it, you will be rewarded in the coming weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.