Paying your dues - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. > Shorebound - Surf Beginners
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Shorebound - Surf Beginners Information for the Shorebound angler

Old 04-15-2006, 03:46 PM

Default dues

first post, been lurkin here better than 3 years. fished all my life, love fishing, hate fish for food. aint no salt water for hundreds of miles around, but little brother lives in Hull Mass. :) we do a yearly fishing binge and have another comming up fast. we fish hard and even charter a boat to learn from a pro. using what we know,read and etc we plan for months. however, i havent found much info on catching fresh bait and where it hangs out. we have our fishing grounds but how do we find the bait fish around boston bay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2006, 06:24 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

I too fished most of my life, the striper thing which I do now primarily, I've learned from reading, watching, listening, making mistakes, losing fish, breaking cheap rods, the list goes on and on.

Over the years, I've learned what works for Jimmy, tides, knots, water, rips, currents. on and on. It's an on going learning experience.

When I first started, man, I was green, two white buckets and all, lol.
Getting out there and just learning is the key, if ya want all the answers right away, to me there is no satisfaction in that. It's just plain lazy.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:07 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

This is a great thread! I call for a "50" for Mr. Jim this season

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2006, 10:31 PM
Lunker

I agree, GREAT thread.
So true.
You can learn so much here, but you have to take what's given and make it your own. get cold, wet, discouraged, increadably [email protected]@#ed off, bloody, bug bitten, lost, taken off your feet by a wet wall, why am I doing this I could (should) be in bed, I have to work in 30 min.
One more cast... there over there....

GREAT site, and Thank you
Old 04-16-2006, 01:15 AM

I was blessed with an old timer sharpie who took a likin to me about 25 years ago and taught me the ropes of surf fishing. No doubt it shaved years off the learning curve.

Thank you Carl
Old 04-17-2006, 07:14 AM

Ed, don't beat yourself up too bad. Those things happen to all of us and I believe it to be part of the dues we all have to pay to become better fishermen.

Sitting with my wife amongst a good crowd of people on the beach last summer with two rods in spikes, I look up to see one of my rods starting to bend. By the time I could get my aging body out of my low-rider chair, my rod was sand-surfing down the beach with me running after it. When I caught up to it, the fish was gone. And I had to bite my tongue because there were little kids close by.

I must have replayed that event in my mind a 100 times since last summer. Not the part of me running after my rod (my wife likes to replay/tell that part of the story), but how I should have set-up differently.

Taught me a couple of good lessons. Now, if I can only get my wife to stop laughing when she tells that story.......dam embarrassing.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:23 AM

Well I sure have not paid my dues yet, maybe just made a small down payment, but I can sure identify with what you guys are sayin. This will be my 4th season going after stripers, and I feel like I am a little ahead of the game compared to where I started, however I do realize there are large gaps in my knowledge and do enjoy the quest of filling said gaps.
I started out for 6 months trying to catch a striper, but never got one. 6 months of hard effort and frustration. However the day I finally hooked up I got 3 fish and it was so sweet. I started out with no knowledge and no proper gear. I read books, bought magazines, scoured the internet and joined a club. Finally things started coming together for me. I bought better and bigger gear and really caught the striper bug. Being in Indiana made it especially hard as when I started I knew no one who pursued the striper, but now they are catchin on. I am just thankful for sites like this and fellas that are gracious enough to share their knowledge to help us rookies out. I also feel a certain amount of responsiblity. First to practice proper conservation efforts so that here in Indiana on our relatively small lakes that a sustainable population of stripers can be maintained. Second to pass on what I know to help others learn the sport, while at the same time making sure they are at least cognizant of the fact they we all must be responsible with our conservation efforts. It is a great sport.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:38 AM
First Mate

Paid my dues? Probably not... I guess for me its what it takes for me
to get out and fish that's half the battle. Now with 4 kids in tow.

I fished a lot when I was a kid cause I grew up living right next to a river
in Tewksbury,MA. Grand Parents lived in Winthrop,MA.

We(family) used to fish for Winter Flounder all the time down at Castle
Island in Dorchester, Deer Island PT Shirley, Piers East Boston, & PlumIsland

We always used Hi-Lo rigs. Never really went with different setups.
Tackle and all, was limited with 6 kids back then, my parents had it tough.

I've never had the opp. to get off the beach and that's been the most
discouraging cause there's too much lugging crap around, especially now.
My kids are too concerned with what food I've brought. Cause once that's
gone fishing trip is over. When you drag my kids to the beach with all the
gear I earn a few extra points.

BTW, I have absolutely no patience for single child parents. Its actually
great when I can get all four of my kids to raise hell around these people.
Gives me a chance to really yell. I could care less what eyebrows are
raised. That's the joy of it all.

My only goal is to get a decent boat where my kids can finally stop
saying, What's to eat. Maybe stop fidgetting so much and just hang a
rod over the gunnels. Slow down a bit.

My wife just started working so that means, I've got all 4 kids every
Saturday now. Woe is me!

I haven't caught nearly as many fish as I like to and haven't gone out
fishing enough to really count. I continue to learn a little more everytime
I do go and hopefully none will include any mishaps.

In anycase, most of the dues I've accounted for aren't related to Fishing,
however, I've earned a lot of them over years. Most of my stories have a
common thread of what stupid things I've done. However, Most are very
entertaining.

Fishing season is right around the corner for me and I'll be watchin
the boats go by as I fish with the kids. One of these days, I'll spend the
money. BTW, how big does a boat need to be for 1 adult and 4 kids...
Don't worry...I already know the answer...Big enough where it has a toilet!

See you at water's edge!

--cal
Old 04-17-2006, 11:44 AM

Cal, you have a tuff weekend with the kids there buddy?

I'm not sure if it makes a difference whether you have 4 kids or just 1......when they want to go home, they can make your life miserable. No sense trying to fight it. Of course this is coming from someone with only one kid that's now going to be 20 y/o.

My brother is not much of a fishermen so I use to take mine and his two out on the backyard pond in my jonboat. On those occasions, I didn't even try to fish. All my time was spent baiting, unhooking, un-tangling, and managing disputes. Glad those days are gone for the most part. But I did learn some valued lessons which I used several years later when we got the Maine house and boat.

I'd take them out, but, I only trolled, setting up a rotation even before we'd get to the boat. I'd let them pick out the music they wanted to listen to on the boat. If one was acting out, I'd send them to the bow and they'd miss a rotation on the fish.

Never had to do the striper thing with them fishing from the beach though. Since kids like action and sometimes action from the beach is hard to come by, no fish = not good.

You'll get through it Cal.....there'll be better days ahead. Just try to keep your sense of humor and your sanity in the meantime.

Oh ya, and a valium helps. :)
Old 04-25-2006, 08:36 PM

Default help in boston harbor

I have a few places in Boston harbor that I want to try
This is my first season with a fishing boat

so my question is where do you find bait fish
I am not asking for specific places what I want is some help in knowing where to start
depth? Structure? tide? etc.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:28 AM

Are you looking for baitfish to live-line?

If so, look for the birds. They never stear you wrong.

If you find them and you see other boats working, be carefull how you approach. Some fishermen get irate if you drive through the school in your boat. Best to case out the situation first before approaching, trying to gage the dimmensions of the school and which direction they're moving. Then position yourself so they come to you.

Just a reminder....you can't catch herring do to the moritorium.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:01 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Boston harbor is an easy place to find bait, as Tony said watch the birds, everyone and his brother fishes the deer Island rip and fawn bar, those areas always have bait.... again there is a moritorium on river herring...

troll a tube and worm or toss a bucktail into the fray of diving birds, you'll catch fish... another word of advise..DO NOT motor up to the action full bore... it will tick off the other anglers and put the fish down, instead slowly move in the direction of the percieved travel, cast ahead of the school, not only will you catch more fish you will make friends instead of enemies...
Old 04-26-2006, 08:49 AM

for me, there's 2 places i go fishing. one is a local pier, lot of people, lot of fish, and a lot of talk. but when i want to go 'fishin' .... well i'm not gonna tell u guys that spot! lol

The main thing here is of all people, fishermen love to talk and tell stories. at the pier, i've learned more from their stories than i think i would be able to learn on my own in 50 yrs of fishing! different baits, rigs, knots, (a few locations), etc.

One of the best lessons i can give a new fisherman to striper fishing is, if you find a seasoned fisherman, "shut up and listen!!!".... lol. it's more valuable than any book!

Nortus

and then i take those lessons i've learned, walk out to my private spot, and get skunked! but still enjoy life!!!!
Old 04-26-2006, 10:00 AM
Lunker

Default boy, this site is the best

i am hooking up with briggsy this spring......gonna make sure i listen to what he has to share....I grew up on nantucket, but back then I took it all for granted....we told our parents we were going fishing a lot more than we actually went fishing...and back then we all just cast the bombers into blitzes...

The first striper i caught i was 14, made a bad cast into the surf, and thought i was snagged on a sea log....then that sea log started to scream!!!!!!!!!!

45 pounds!!!!!!!!!!

never had another over 30.......

now i live in the adirondacks, love to fish for brookies and smallies in the hudson and stony creek, but nothing, and i mean NOTHING comes close to that chilly, rainy, foggy morning on the beach with only a couple of other idiots like myself slamming stripers

thanks for all you posts, guys...........
Old 04-26-2006, 10:40 AM
Lunker

Default great sight

hi Guys:

I have not fished for about 15 years until 2 years ago on vacation in south carolina, I took the kids pier fishing & they loved it. So I came across this website & I love the idea of surf fishing from the beach. It has only been a year & I have not caught anything in the surf. Reading all the post here & how much time it takes to understand striper fishing hopefully I will get lucky & catch my first striper from the surf before I am 70? I have upgraded my gear purchased 2 surf rods & even went out fishing last year in a monson & hurricane, my wife thinks that I have gone nuts
in my old age but as I told her I do not play golf so surf fishing is my substitute.( I do not live near the beaches so I drive to long island ) The information on this website has been fantastic as well as the people here have been great. I go to other web-sites but nothing compares to stripers 247. I hope I can contribute some day to help other new surf fishermen.
Thank you all very very much.