Question on depth / & Herring question - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 04-21-2016, 05:46 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Question on depth / & Herring question

Been out twice with no luck fishing chunk. Should my sinker be on the bottom or suspended as I drift. I mark fish at 18 or so feet and am thinking that I should suspend my sinker at that depth and drift through them. Newb on the hudson I am a surf fisherman. One more package of three frozen large herring then I will jig until I get some live. Also have had zero luck jigging and throwing a stoolie where do the herring hang in the river? Thanks in advance for any help.
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2016, 07:38 AM
Senior Member Elite

Default Re: Question on depth / & Herring question

Generally put your bait where the fish are. That depends on where you fish. Down in Newburgh bay the fish are suspended and not on the bottom so down there I drift with the bait suspended. Kingston and north where there is a channel with steep sides the fish act different and tend to hang deep in the channel or on the drop off depending on the tide. On outgoing they wait for the bait to be pulled back in the channel so they congregate at the drop off. Often on incoming or at night when it is calm they come up shallow hunting. Striper are lazy and want the food to come to them. They will frequently hang on the downstream side of structure and wait for bait to drift by. Up north i have more luck on the bottom when anchored because drifting the bottom is hard due to snags. If i drift I will keep it a few feet off the bottom but this requires frequent depth adjusting.

Herring can be jigged up in any of the creeks or at the creek mouths. They also hang thick under bridges or breakwalls. Up north I always get them under the Dunn Memorial or Patroon Island bridge. They are also generally thick at the mouth of the Postenkill. In Kingston you can go up the Rondout to the dam and limit out in 5 min......same for most creeks you can go up.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:52 PM
Striper Hunter

Thank You Doc that really will help
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2016, 04:45 PM
Senior Member Elite

Anything to help a fellow striper hunter.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:49 PM
Official Member

Frozen herring works but fresh is much much better. If you are from the Catskill area you might want to see if River Basin Sports has fresh or live. Certified Marine in Kingston usually has it, and check Hudson River Bait or Conroys in the Albany area. Best bet though is to put as much effort into catching herring as you do stripers. Basically, the sabiki should be continuously worked as you drift especially if you are marking fish. Or if you are further down the river where its too murky to jig, invest in a scap net. I met a guy give me 4 that he scapped in 5 minutes at Rider Park in Ulster (I got 1). And you don't need all 10 to start to fish.