Catskill Creek Herring - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 03-29-2016, 12:30 PM
Official Member

Default Catskill Creek Herring

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck jigging herring from their boat in the Catskill Creek closer to the river. If so any advice? I have seen guys up near the school but I am not that familiar with that end and am a little leery of taking my boat up there. I may try it when the tide is up, but that isn't always possible. Didn't know if is would be worth the time to try it. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2016, 03:25 PM
Keelhauler

Default Re: Catskill Creek Herring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherguy View Post
Just wondering if anyone has had any luck jigging herring from their boat in the Catskill Creek closer to the river. If so any advice? I have seen guys up near the school but I am not that familiar with that end and am a little leery of taking my boat up there. I may try it when the tide is up, but that isn't always possible. Didn't know if is would be worth the time to try it. Thanks for the help.
It's always worth trying. I can't tell you how many times people snickered at me for going out "so early" yet I caught fish. Just don't go beyond the School and you'll be fine. Try not to anchor up in front of the shore goers.

ALL TIME PBs
Boated in a run: 59 (2020)
Boated in a day: 23 (2020)
Biggest: 42" (2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 04:57 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherguy View Post
If you go up on a high tide or slack tide or if the tide has just turned, you can probably make it right up to the 9W overpass. I've never done it since I don't own a boat but I know for a fact that guys take their boats up there and have pretty good luck jigging herring right at the supports for the overpass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2016, 08:56 PM
Official Member

I've seen guys up in there before. I was trying to avoid bringing the boat in there so I didn't have to worry about playing the tide or avoiding guys fishing from shore. Figured since the herring have to swim up the whole length of the creek to make it to the bridge so maybe somewhere along the way would produce. Not looking for someones hot spot, just info to see if anyone had luck or will I be wasting my time. Wish stripers preferred night crawlers. They are cheap and always easy to find!
Old 03-30-2016, 03:15 PM
Official Member

right past the high school on the opposite bank is a big concrete wall. just past that is usually as good a spot as any to jig. as you get closer to the bridge it gets real sketchy.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:22 PM
Lunker

Herring bypass the catskill creek. Water to cold.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:02 PM
Keelhauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotter View Post
Herring bypass the catskill creek. Water to cold.

ALL TIME PBs
Boated in a run: 59 (2020)
Boated in a day: 23 (2020)
Biggest: 42" (2016)