Special way to chunk herring?? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 04-30-2015, 06:48 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Special way to chunk herring??

hey guys, I use both live and chunk. just wondering if there was any special way to chunk them or is it personal preference.

ie, cut in half? head better? tail better? cut head and tail off and use body? just want everyones opinion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2015, 06:57 AM
Senior Member Elite

Default Re: Special way to chunk herring??

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzer111 View Post
hey guys, I use both live and chunk. just wondering if there was any special way to chunk them or is it personal preference.

ie, cut in half? head better? tail better? cut head and tail off and use body? just want everyones opinion
I cut mine in thirds ... or if they are really big or tough to come by in quarters.

Some people swear by the head, some by the middle section and others by the tail. I have caught fish on all.

Biggest trick to chunk is to change it regularly .... every ten minutes or so which is tough now that we are limited to 10 per day.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:11 AM
Official Member

10 chunked should give you a full day of fishing. If you change bait every 10 minutes (I go 15) and cut them in thirds, that is 6 chunks per hour or two fish. Thus 10 will last 5 hours. Add a couple hours to get to and from the river and for moving from spot to spot and you got yourself a day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2015, 07:57 AM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie the j View Post
10 chunked should give you a full day of fishing. If you change bait every 10 minutes (I go 15) and cut them in thirds, that is 6 chunks per hour or two fish. Thus 10 will last 5 hours. Add a couple hours to get to and from the river and for moving from spot to spot and you got yourself a day!
I fish 3 rods ... plus i plan on catching some fish!

1 herring at 10 minute changes last 10 minutes x 10 herring = 100 minutes so that isn't even two hours. Catch 4 or 5 fish, have some chunks ruined by catfish and you might be done in an hour.

My take on chunking anyway..... I would much rather fish live herring and avoid the mess and catfish even though i know i may not be as productive.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:16 AM
Striper Hunter

Use at least an 8/0 hook, small ones stay inside the chunk when you go to set the hook.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:33 PM
First Mate

I like to use whole dead ones. I stab them a half dozen times so they bleed out slower than a chunk.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:46 PM
Official Member

"I stab them a half dozen times." LOL. I set them on fire and then put drano down their gullets.