Matching the hatch. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. > Shorebound - Surf Beginners
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Shorebound - Surf Beginners Information for the Shorebound angler

Old 04-24-2013, 10:43 PM
Official Member

Default Matching the hatch.

So I understand the concept but I'm not sure just yet how to apply it to real life. To me, most baitfish look very similar. I'm familiar with what bunker and herring look like and I can surmise what needlefish and other baitfish may look like but there are so many different lures. I'm just looking for a basic overview as to which lure profiles are best matched to the prevalent baitfish that swim along the shores of Long Island. For example, if bunker are prevalent do tins such as Kastmasters and/or Hopkins work? What would prompt me to use a bomber type plug or little neck popper or swimmer or even a rubber shad?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2013, 10:56 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Matching the hatch.

I'm fairly new to striper fishing. What worked for me this past season was just due to a tiny bit of knowledge of what the bass like to eat, and then a lot of observation while I was fishing. I was told that they really go for eels where I fished, so that's where I started. Started to catch some on some eel-like lures. Then the elvers hatched. They were everywhere- an easy meal, so I switched to something more like them. Then I noticed some shad swimming around- I didn't even know they existed where I was- so I started throwing some soft shad lures in there too. One day I notice all this commotion in the water, at first I thought it was a striper thrashing an eel, but then I see it's some tiny fish with an elver in it's mouth. The action of it was a lot like a Rat-L-Trap, so I started throwing those.

I guess it's just getting some info from the guys on the forum in your area, or local bait shops about what works, and then experimenting and adding to that from the bait fish and action you see when you're out there. And if you catch one that you're keeping, checking the stomach contents for what they're currently feeding on can't hurt.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:48 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

there is no short way to say it. but i will.
armed with all the tins/plugs/jigs/shads etc. you can get lucky and catch fish.
but even a blind squirrel finds a nut.. your haunts/spots/local waters are chock full of ambush stations and cruising point for fish to thrive. you can walk a beach for days and not find a fish. read some of the threads like "reading the beach" and some of Richtrox's posts on how to read water.... looking for structure and knowing the prevalent forage for that time of season will help you immensely and half the battle.. don't just buy the flavor of the day plug and hope.... do a little reading here so you know what to look for out there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 10:57 AM
Official Member

I appreciate the responses fellas. I have read ALOT in the past couple of years so I have a good idea of what to look for on the water. Actually deciphering the "fishy" spots takes practice though.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:48 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

don't give up and remember safety is of the utmost. always be aware and alert out there.