Buy now or wait for the spring - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:58 AM

Default Buy now or wait for the spring

Hi,

With the fishing season almost over in MA, I was wondering if the prices of the rods would drop a bit or if I should wait until the new season starts.

After a lot of reading, I have narrowed down my new rod to be used with my Mitchell 906 to these:

* Okuma Solaris SSS1202MHI

* Tica Dolphin UGSA12H2S

* Lamiglas Sur King SK 11 MHS

* Tsunami Throphy TSTSC 1202XH

Do you have a preference for one of these?

Thanks,

Robalo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2006, 03:27 AM

Default Re: Buy now or wait for the spring

Robolo
Im not familiar with the 902.
Is that the bronze or gray freshwater reel?
Can you tell us the weight and the line capacity?
You want to be able to balance it with the right rod.
I use reels < 20 ounces on the light tackle set ups.
and around 20 ounces on a Tica rod rated for 1 to 3 oz weight and I use larger reels on the 2 to 6 ounce sticks and even larger on the heavier 8 and bait rods. 30 - 32 ounces.

The dolphin is a decent rod for intermediate skill level with plugging.
The sticks are nice for chunking and can be inexpensive.
Tsunami has some decent rods as well for the money. The difference in price doesnt vary all that much. If you buy on line you dont pay tax but the shipping charge can be alot because of the package size. The manufacturer sets an MSRP and the tackle shops put up a fair mark-up usually.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:34 PM

Dear Jim,

Thanks for your response. I am not familiar with the 902 either (typo?). I have a Mitchell 906, which should be a saltwater reel, if I am not mistaken. I believe that this reel was made in the 70's. It is indeed gray and it is large but not huge. The capacity on this reel is as follows (#/yd): 14/400, 17/330, 20/270, 25/255.

The reel is loaded with 50# very old Brazilian monofilament (this could account for my short casts). Considering that and also the rod I am using, I cannot cast long enough to see the end of the line, not even close. I think that I will replace the line but in this case I will use a #20 or so mono. One posibility is to use 50# braid as Suggested by Sudsy but I have read a lot of bad things about braid. I have read so much that things are starting to be very confusing.

Despite being so old (obsolete), it works great. It is like driving an old T-bird. it is a bit heavy, I think that it weights around 660 g roughly 1 1/2 lb. I hope that this helps. I noticed with the 15' Ugly Stik that there was no balance. As I said in a different post, I almost ended up in the water. I think that you bring up a good point and perhaps when I get this new rod I may have to buy a new reel to balance it out.

The last thing to consider in my case is that I never used a lure in my life although I got 3 for my bday (Excalibur Pop'n image, Bagley Top Gun and Crippled Herring 2oz). I mostly use bait. I keep reading different things on the subject. Some people love bait and some lures... I think that I would like a rod that I can use a few lures but the bulk should be the bait.

Among the 4 rods that I mentioned, is there one that you would be particularly more inclined to buy considering the rest of the information (fun, improved casting distance, quality, versatility, price, etc.,..)?

At this point my order of preference is: Okuma Solaris SSS1202MHI > Tica Dolphin UGSA12H2S > Lamiglas Sur King SK 11 MHS > Tsunami Throphy TSTSC 1202XH. Am I missing something that I should be considering?

Thanks,

RobAlo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2006, 05:49 PM

oops 906

Yes it is the gray one. You can sometimes find them on ebay. Its not top of the line but it will get you started and you can put it on a 8 to 10 foot rod.
The line capacity is fine. You will get plenty of distance with new line.
Have your local shop spool it for you, they will usually put monofilament line on for 5 or 6 bucks. Better line is more expensive however.
Choosing the rod is preference though. Its like asking what shirt should I wear.
I started out with an old crappy silistar and a mitchell 302.
I had plenty of 8 to 12 foot ugly sticks that worked fine and never broke.
Then it went to modells and picked one out that felt nice. It worked for years without breaking.
The last few years i upgraded a bit with tsunamis and ticas (lol not much upgrade) but I love them both and still use them when i dont take the custom stuff or the St. Croix with me.
A 24 ounce reel you can put it on many sticks.
I use a 24 ounce shimano baitrunner on a 1 to 3 ounce and 2 to 5 ounce rated 10 footers.
By the way if you plan to throw plugs once in a while make sure the rod isnt too heavy or you'll kill yourself from exhaustion.

I dont want to confuse you or add to your stress
The tica regular bait sticks are too thick to plug with but the dolphin is for the surf. A 10 foot dolphin will do both.
If your planning to spend 120 on a rod. Get two Ticas or two tsunamis. Or one and a used baitrunner reel. At least thats what i would do as a starter.
Heres a pick of the 906 I saw on ebay.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:24 PM
Lunker

I like the Tsunamis myself. As far as prices going down, you might see some good sales at stores like Dick's around X-Mas. I'm waiting for the spring when the new Bass Pro-Shops store to open in Foxboro. Hopefully they will have a good grand opening sale.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:52 PM

I know nothing about the Dolphin so I'll leave that one out.

I have the 10' Tsunami, had a 10' Tica (hated it - too stiff), and fished once with a buds Surfking.

I like the Surfking far and away over the other two. The Tica fished like a pool cue, the Tsunami is much better but is still too stiff to properly work a pencil popper (mine is relegated to bunker snagging duty nowadays).
Old 10-22-2006, 07:56 AM

Even the 1 to 3 dolphin isnt all that great shakes for throwing plugs. Its ok with poppers and woods but not with everything. 1 ounce bucktails dont work so well.
Suds is right. Theres no easy way around it for quality. You get what you pay for.
The afformentioned Ticas and Tsunamis are great bait sticks.
I dont know the Lami surf king but I've heard it was pretty decent.
Suds didnt you say bass pro had a pretty decent rod called the Ocean master (?) for the value?
Old 10-23-2006, 01:28 PM

Yes but the Ocean Master is a Hatteras style weight n bait heaver, not a plugging stick.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:24 PM

Thank you guys for your responses.

I went to Dick's today and saw the Tsunami. They also had a St. Croix (SC) Triumph that was about $20 more. When I compared these two to the Okuma Solaris I decided against buying the latter, it is heavier and does not feel as good as the first two. The SC is slightly more flexible than the Tsunami. The 2 pieces of the SC are not the same size, which I did not like. The Tsunami comes with a carrying bag also. They both have 5 year warranty and they are both made overseas. The only problem that I see with either of these rods is that I do not think that they can be used with lures, at least not with the ones I have. Granted, I am not an authority on the subject but I do not think that you can cast a 1 to 3, perhaps even 4 Oz lure with either one of these rods. I have not seen lures that are heavy enough to use with these rods, what do people normally use with these rods other than bait? Can you increase the weight of the lure by adding weights?

I am yet to take a look at the Lamiglass but otherwise, I think that I would buy the Tsunami Trophy.

Jim,

"If your planning to spend 120 on a rod. Get two Ticas or two tsunamis."

Where? I have seen both Tsunamis and Ticas for around 100 to 120 each. I am sure that you guys know where to get stuff cheaper. I would be interested!!!!

I checked out reels as well. Man, without any disrespect to manufacturers or users due to my lack of experience. I like my Mitchell 906 far better than most of the spinning reels that I saw today. They may be less noisy but they certainly look cheap and they also weight a lot more than mine.

Again thanks,

Robalo.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:59 AM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

Hu my friend, I use a couple of old Mitchell's as well. Mine are the 900, the 306, which is the same size as the 306, and a 302 and a 402. I love 'em. But I also use mewer reels as well. ;).
Anyhow, all this erods you mentioned are decent. One thing, When I through bait, which isn't too often anymore, I use a heaver. A heavier rod.
I don't use my pluggin rods for weight and bait. Thats just way I do it. I have a heavy Pinnacle rod, rated up to 10oz, I think, but this rod is a bait stick and conv. I have an Ugly Stick I use with my baitrunner. I used to have three of 'em, but like I said, I don't do much bait anymore.
Another rod that might interest you is the Daiwa Sealine X rods. They are inexpensive and light and very strong. They retail for less than 70.00 bucks. I was just fortunate to get one brand new for 29.99, a caster. I'm considering getting the spinner as well for the same price. They are darn good rods for the price. The 10' I have, and like the one I just ordered, is rated for for 3-6oz with 3 being a good weight. Darn good rod s.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:39 AM

I replied to this thread and my post diappeared. not good.

Anyway heres the tica web site with a list of their rods.
http://www.ticaglobal.com/EN/AM/PR_Rods.asp
Everyone has said it your bait and plugging rods dont do double duty all that well. Thats not to say they cant but soft tips and flex needed for p-poppers doesnt exist in a stiffer bait chunking rod.
My previous post mentioned the Ticas were distributor prices. From 37 bucks to 90 for the dolphins. Sorry.
They have a new rod out that looks interesting. An 8 foot TICA SURF Series Rods UELA for 1 to 5 ounces.
Also digital dagger has the Tsunami for 60 bucks.
http://digitaldagger.com/rods/spinning.html

The conditions, location and tactics dictate a lot and for that its a matter of choice and preference.
Keep in mind these el Cheapos have been christened "googan canes" by the seasoned surf fishermen but dont let that stop you from owning a few. They arent as bad as they make them out to be.