2014 Merrimack River Fishing Reports - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 05-06-2014, 12:08 PM
Striper Hunter

Default 2014 Merrimack River Fishing Reports

Hi Everyone,

I visit this site frequently for Q&A, reports, and entertainment at work when the boss is not looking. I visit many of the other state forums as well to gain as much knowledge as possible. I noticed that in the Hudson River forum, they have a continual thread where people post their reports about action all along the vast stretches of the river. I thought it would be nice to do something like that for my home waters on the Merrimack River.

I am of the belief there are plenty of fish in sea for us all to catch. I do not think we need to hide our results from other fisherman in order to continually catch fish. In reality we all learned from someone who was kind enough to share their knowledge and tips with us. This has gone on for generations. So I thought it would be a great idea to build a community thread on here where we can all share our results, tips and tricks in regards to the Mighty Merrimack River.

In order to abide by the forum rules (link to forum rules https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/announcement.php?f=22), you should not share a specific spot along the river. If you are going to do so, please private message that person.

Things to share on this thread can include the following:
-Date & time of fishing activity
-Tide conditions
-Weather
-Boat vs Surfcasting
-Methods of catching (artificials, live lining, clamming, chunk, trolling, spinning reel vs conventional, etc)
-Results of your day on the water
-Pictures!!

I won't be on the water for at least two more weeks probably, but I plan on checking the forum frequently and sharing my results/report once I do. If you are like me and live a fair distance from the Merrimack River, it is nice to know how people are doing before making the investment of time & travel down to the river.

I hope people take a liking to this thread and contribute information as much as they take from it. If we don't share info, this thread will be pointless. On that note, it is time to get back to work here in the office. Remember, a bad day on the water fishing is better than a good day in the office. Good luck to all and tight lines!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2014, 11:56 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: 2014 Merrimack River Fishing Reports

Anyone have plans to go out this weekend? Has anyone been out? Any luck?

I plan on making my first trip of the season next weekend. I think by then our chances will have significantly increased on landing some fish, possibly even some smaller sized keepers.

Below is a picture of the current striper migration according to onthewater.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	StriperMigration_5-13-2014.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	20081  
Old 05-21-2014, 08:45 AM
Striper Hunter

I will hopefully be making my first trip out to the mouth of the Merrimack this Memorial Day weekend. I am sure it will be the first trip for many of us to splash our boats and lines in the water. Does anyone know if the docks have been put in at Salisbury State Reservation?

According to Surfland, the first keepers of the season were caught the other night on the ocean front. This is great news!!! Still, keeper sized fish are few and far between. But any day now the action should really take off.

Below is the most up to date striper migration map from onthewater.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	StriperMigration_5-20.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	20178  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2014, 09:34 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

yes the docks at the reservation in Salisbury are in...
Old 05-21-2014, 10:55 PM
Striper Hunter

Thanks for the intel roccus. Have you finished your winter chores and gotten out on the water yet?
Old 05-22-2014, 02:34 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

[QUOTE=bassandbucks;204338]Thanks for the intel roccus. Have you finished your winter chores and gotten out on the water yet?[/QUOTE

It Begins this weekend...I'm a trophy hunter..no hurry to get in ..but I need some ground fish... I'm almost out of winter caught white perch...
Old 05-22-2014, 05:04 PM
Official Member

Hey Roccus, I see you all over this site. When the heck are the Stripers gonna get to Plum Island?? I'm new to the area but I'm getting the feeling it is all hype. I slay Stripers back in Maryland but catch nothing here.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:31 PM
Striper Hunter

It's certainly not all hype. They will be here, just be patient. We are a little behind schedule. If you read the reports from other states on this site and other webpages, you will soon see that they are behind schedule as well.

The long winter and lack of sustained warm weather around these parts is why things are slow to pick up. We are about two weeks behind schedule. While Maryland is usually in the thick of things at this time of the year, we are usually just getting going. Likewise, when things start to slow down in Maryland, the fish begin to migrate and it picks up here. Water temps are KEY!!!

Water temps off plum island are just now getting over 50F. Just wait until the mackerel arrive and the water temps go up a little more...you will have tight lines in no time!
Old 05-23-2014, 09:51 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintastic View Post
Hey Roccus, I see you all over this site. When the heck are the Stripers gonna get to Plum Island?? I'm new to the area but I'm getting the feeling it is all hype. I slay Stripers back in Maryland but catch nothing here.
They are here... lots of small and a few fish to 10lbs....each day is improving... water temp is WAY over rated and hyped.. it is not a major factor for migration... bass... like girls in bikinis... follow the sun.... as the days lengthen the urge to spawn and migrate stirs.... water temp influences how active they are and how much they feed... but has a very small influence on the actual migration.. it may influence how close or far off shore they travel... but they pretty much leave the same time each season... for them it's a marathon...not a sprint.

remember the first arrivals head straight up river( all the way to the Lawrence dam) on the heels of the herring... so your best action will be in the river proper ..unless.. you intercept a feeding school along the beach...

there are a lot of sand eels around this season so small tins... buck tails.. and soft plastics.. and fly imitating sand eels should be your "go to' early on... if you need distance... fish a red gill or other soft plastic on a dropper 18" in front of a swimming plug... try it .. you might be pleasantly surprised!

Tight lines..
Roc
Old 05-25-2014, 08:29 AM
Official Member

Well, Macks have shown up in Beverly/Salem and everyone appears to catching but me. Soon though.
BD
Old 05-25-2014, 07:29 PM
Striper Hunter

Went out today from 9:30 - 4:45. Started out the day going up river, got into the schoolie action right away with the artificial lures. It was pretty obvious where the fish were. Moved back down river and anchored up for the last two hours of the outgoing tide to relax and fish clams. Got into the schoolies rather easy there as well. Bite died not long after the dead low. All in all my friend and I boated at least 15 fish. Ranging in size from 16" to 22". I didn't expect much today and was happy with the action we had.

Anyone go out of the mouth? Any action? Heard from some guys at the docks that the bite was on in gloucester with keepers being taken with some regularity.

Between now and next weekend the action is sure to crank up.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:39 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassandbucks View Post
Went out today from 9:30 - 4:45. Started out the day going up river, got into the schoolie action right away with the artificial lures. It was pretty obvious where the fish were. Moved back down river and anchored up for the last two hours of the outgoing tide to relax and fish clams. Got into the schoolies rather easy there as well. Bite died not long after the dead low. All in all my friend and I boated at least 15 fish. Ranging in size from 16" to 22". I didn't expect much today and was happy with the action we had.

Anyone go out of the mouth? Any action? Heard from some guys at the docks that the bite was on in gloucester with keepers being taken with some regularity.

Between now and next weekend the action is sure to crank up.
I livelined mac's out side the river in that stiff wind and fog yesterday morning...largest fish was about 10 lbs...most couldn't eat the Macs...but were suckers for a well placed jig...
Old 05-31-2014, 05:44 PM
Striper Hunter

Couldn't find any mackerel at breaking rock. There were 4-5 other boats there, and I didn't see any of them catch any, either.

Tried live lining some Pollock at the mouth. The sand eels were all over the place. Thick as weeds. Didn't get nary a nibble. There were quite a few boats around as well - I didn't see anyone catch a fish.

We tried in the river near the toothpick. A few boats were there as well. No bites - no action on any other boats, either.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:28 PM
Striper Hunter

went out from 5 - 9:30 am today. Inside the river the birds and bass were working bait close to the surface and i caught a dozen or so schoolies up to about 23" on hard plastics. Went out of the river and beyond the breakers where there were more birds and bass working bait. Caught a few more there on hard plastics again. all in all we caught well over 20 fish. No keepers unfortunately, but that is fine with me. This has been some fun fishing. Plenty of time for keepers
Old 06-02-2014, 09:27 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomarsFool View Post
Couldn't find any mackerel at breaking rock. There were 4-5 other boats there, and I didn't see any of them catch any, either.

Tried live lining some Pollock at the mouth. The sand eels were all over the place. Thick as weeds. Didn't get nary a nibble. There were quite a few boats around as well - I didn't see anyone catch a fish.

We tried in the river near the toothpick. A few boats were there as well. No bites - no action on any other boats, either.
Saturday they( the mac's) were 2 miles outside the mouth in line with the water tower...took me 10 minutes to put a dozen baits in the tank... yesterday.. I cod fished ... coming back to the river I remember why I don't fish weekends....