Salisbury beach fishing??? - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 03-17-2011, 02:47 PM
Young salt

Default Re: Salisbury beach fishing???

Here is that diagram that someone drew up after we went back and forth about the rig I use (for the most part). I use sandworms/bloodworms 90% of the time so I tend to stick to a 7/0 circle hook and will switch it up to a "J" hook if using clams/mackerel chunks. Hope this helps ya a little more my friend, good luck. . . . . . .

Advertisement

Old 03-23-2011, 04:36 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriperHyper View Post
Here is that diagram that someone drew up after we went back and forth about the rig I use (for the most part). I use sandworms/bloodworms 90% of the time so I tend to stick to a 7/0 circle hook and will switch it up to a "J" hook if using clams/mackerel chunks. Hope this helps ya a little more my friend, good luck. . . . . . .

that heps alot. ill keep u posted on my luck this season
Old 03-24-2011, 08:34 PM
First Mate

if your gonna be fishing in the merrimac you probally will only need a set up like the one in the 1st/top drawing. the current in the river rips so hard that you rarely have the bait right on the bottom. Another tip is use a leader atleast as long as the fish in the area i use 3-4 foot unless its a casting set up then you obviously you need to go shorter. i use 40 or 50lb floro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2011, 06:33 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsnova View Post
if your gonna be fishing in the merrimac you probally will only need a set up like the one in the 1st/top drawing. the current in the river rips so hard that you rarely have the bait right on the bottom. Another tip is use a leader atleast as long as the fish in the area i use 3-4 foot unless its a casting set up then you obviously you need to go shorter. i use 40 or 50lb floro
whatd about a plain old fish finder rig. i snelled my own hooks with 5-12 wraps around the hook. is that way to light??
Old 03-25-2011, 09:32 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantumreel View Post
whatd about a plain old fish finder rig. i snelled my own hooks with 5-12 wraps around the hook. is that way to light??

Now your thinking... plain ole fish finder works just fine... K.I.S.S.... the more trash you add to a rig, the more likely something will tangle or break.. not to mention... bass are not the brightest fish in the sea, but a big wad of tangled line is likely to send them looking for a safer meal.... take a 3 ounce bank sinker and hammer it flat, the flat sinker holds better in the current... 30lb leader is as heavy as I go.. most nights I use 20... my main line is 15 lb mono in most instances...braid does not fair well around all those rocks, barnicles and mussel shoals.. and for the snell.. I tie 8 wraps...
Old 03-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
Now your thinking... plain ole fish finder works just fine... K.I.S.S.... the more trash you add to a rig, the more likely something will tangle or break.. not to mention... bass are not the brightest fish in the sea, but a big wad of tangled line is likely to send them looking for a safer meal.... take a 3 ounce bank sinker and hammer it flat, the flat sinker holds better in the current... 30lb leader is as heavy as I go.. most nights I use 20... my main line is 15 lb mono in most instances...braid does not fair well around all those rocks, barnicles and mussel shoals.. and for the snell.. I tie 8 wraps...
sounds good. can i troll with a whaler of 13 feet if it has tqo rod holders
Old 03-28-2011, 09:30 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
sounds good. can i troll with a whaler of 13 feet if it has tqo rod holders

If you are going to troll the flats... go electric.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
If you are going to troll the flats... go electric.
I can fish the flats with the 13 foot whaler. what about near plum island?? ive heard that alot of big stripers are caught near plum island. what about fishing near the mouth??
Old 03-28-2011, 07:59 PM
First Mate

the flats are the river/inside/north end part of plumb island, look at a map. beach can be good to at times. out of all places id stay away from with a 13' boat it would be the mouth. the mouth holds alot of fish but everyone knows it and it can get pretty crazy between the current,waves,boats ....and others(was gonna say something not nice)
keep in mind at the mouth/channel there are always a few guys with big egos & big boats that get there jollys by ripping past a small boat giving them some crazy wake. keep it in mind.
gotta pay attention out there
Old 03-28-2011, 08:11 PM
Striper Hunter

Can i travel deeper into the river. will u see lots of stripers up river towards haverhill
Old 03-29-2011, 09:24 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsnova View Post
the flats are the river/inside/north end part of plumb island, look at a map. beach can be good to at times. out of all places id stay away from with a 13' boat it would be the mouth. the mouth holds alot of fish but everyone knows it and it can get pretty crazy between the current,waves,boats ....and others(was gonna say something not nice)
keep in mind at the mouth/channel there are always a few guys with big egos & big boats that get there jollys by ripping past a small boat giving them some crazy wake. keep it in mind.
gotta pay attention out there
This is good advise... no need to fish the mouth.. I rarely do.. and I fish in a 18' 2200lb battle wagon.... the fishing is better in the river proper... my take "up river" is 50:1 over what I catch in the mouth.. and I'm not talking schoolies...
early in the season, bass will migrate as far ( and beyond) the dam in Lawrence... but for practical fishing, Amesbury is as far as you want to go...

Once you learn the river, you can scoot that little boat over to Plum Island sound via the Plum Island river... the fishing possibilities are endless there... when the river gets crowded.. I head for the sound..

You have alot to learn.. your education is just beginning..
Old 03-29-2011, 03:18 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
This is good advise... no need to fish the mouth.. I rarely do.. and I fish in a 18' 2200lb battle wagon.... the fishing is better in the river proper... my take "up river" is 50:1 over what I catch in the mouth.. and I'm not talking schoolies...
early in the season, bass will migrate as far ( and beyond) the dam in Lawrence... but for practical fishing, Amesbury is as far as you want to go...

Once you learn the river, you can scoot that little boat over to Plum Island sound via the Plum Island river... the fishing possibilities are endless there... when the river gets crowded.. I head for the sound..

You have alot to learn.. your education is just beginning..
really im not good at following maps on the water so im going to hang at the bait shop for a 1/2 hour per time i go if i can and get some help. but what about a 13 foot jon boat. im still looking for a good whaler. what do u use up river or at plum island sound??
Old 03-30-2011, 09:32 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
really im not good at following maps on the water so im going to hang at the bait shop for a 1/2 hour per time i go if i can and get some help. but what aboiut a 13 foot jon boat. im still looking for a good whaler. what do u use up river or at plum island sound??
hanging around a bait shop is not going to get you much of an education.. LEARN T0 READ A CHART.....if you think that learning to fish for stripers is as easy as talking to a bunch of people that know as much or as little as you do... maybe you better take up another hobby.... learning to consistantly cach bass is not something learned in a half hour B.S. sessions at a bait shop, or on a few week ends during the spring run... it is a commitment to a life style...committing to to a fish and to yourself to be the best that you can be... LAZY PEOPLE LEARN NOTHING... I'v given more information in this thread than you will get from a full summer of hanging around a bait shop... I'm done talking and it's time for you to start paying attention...

And nix the thought of the jon boat.... it is not a whaler and never will be...I've alLready said in this thread what I fish out of.. PAY ATTENTIION..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 143.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	15019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bait tank.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	15020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jondory 09.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	15021  
Old 03-30-2011, 11:56 AM

Quantum read both pages of this thread again and then reread it.
Rock has given you tips that you wouldnt learn in 20 years.
I made some mental notes myself. You can bet your ass I'll pay attention to the south end corner at the start of the incoming and be looking to fish the creekmouths and rockpiles inside the river at night time.
He's right - pay attention - absorb what he's telling you. Dont get ahead of yourself.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:11 PM
First Mate

I gotta say again listen to Roc, as a matter of fact this thread alone has a whole lot of info...little advise look up roc's posts and start reading he knows more about that river & bass then anyone i've ever heard of,he has helped me alot in the past. But like roc said your not going to learn it all in 1 year, I remember the 1st few times years back that i fished the river in my lil 14' quabbin boat i caught zero.. then i started catching schoolies steadily, i think i went 2 years before i caught my 1st keeper size fish. now i consistantly catch fish in the 10-25lb range, and i honestly feel like i still have a ton to learn. I actually struggle locating fish @ night but do well at day...go figure.
another suggestion look at this map
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/13282.shtml
print it,study it,bring it with you