Line choices - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 10-20-2008, 11:06 PM

Default Line choices

I fish in a rocky area is it correct to assume that braid would not be a good idea in this area? Also if I did use braid I like the sensitivity how long a leader should I use and what pound test?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2008, 11:19 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: Line choices

there are several rocky area scenarios/ that said, what are you doing? plugs/jigs/bait/? shore? boat? rod and reel set-up?

Old 10-21-2008, 10:47 AM

I fish a VS 200 on a ninefoot rod. I like to plug mainly with needlefish. I would like to try the braid for the extra sensitivity but worry about the rocky beaches I fish from. Possibly I could use a long shock leader. But what type of connection should I use to the braid from the shocker? thanks chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2008, 11:12 AM
Pro Staff

Hi Chuck,
Here's what I do. Take it for what it's worth,,, all I can say is that I've landed a lot of large fish in very rocky areas with this set-up and have yet to lose a fish due to a break-off on the rocks. I think once you start using it, you'll really appreciate the sensitivity and hooksetting power of 'braid'.

My plugging outfits are spooled with 30lb test Fireline, ending with what starts out as a 10'-15' length of 50lb test Ande flouro leader material, on my 11' rods. The leader is connected to the main line with an Alberto knot. I strip off about 10 feet of braid and tie on a fresh leader after each trip for a couple reasons. 1, I tie direct to the plug and the leader will eventually become too short from retying when changing plugs or cutting off sections due to abrasions. 2, I want to take no chances that a weakened leader will cost me a fish, so even if the leader is still long enough and looks OK, I still change it after each trip.

Like I said, that's just what I do, everyone has their own methods and preferences, but this has worked for me without flaw through many large fish in the rocks.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:10 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyplug1 View Post
I fish a VS 200 on a ninefoot rod. I like to plug mainly with needlefish. I would like to try the braid for the extra sensitivity but worry about the rocky beaches I fish from. Possibly I could use a long shock leader. But what type of connection should I use to the braid from the shocker? thanks chuck
like bautrunner stated..a crazy alberto knot to join braid with floro.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:12 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

dan, do a search for whatever it is you wanna know first and then read the threads. this instant gratification stuff is getting old here. this time of year we all are fishing and wanna help but you can get everything on this if you type "mono to braid" in the search. search "alberto knot" and look at all the threads. i know i put a tutorial in pics in there. any subsequent questions are then easier to address. i don;t wanna sound like the bad guy but learning here is easier than you can imagine and takes one quick search. you have to go there anyway after we respond to get the jist of what we are telling you. give this a try and let me know how you made out.