Looking for advice - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 10-07-2008, 11:17 PM

Default Looking for advice

hey all,
Was looking for some advice that actually i can follow. i have talked to a few guys and followed what they have told me for striper fishing from a boat and so far i have done crap but waste gas and bait. I am good at catching blues and tautog but no stripers. the last striper i have gotten (also my largest at 36 in) was 2 years ago casting cut bait in the mouth of the CT river at dusk. i have tried it again several more times since then just to keep getting skunked in my old boat (a 16 ft alum) now i have a 21 foot walk around so my options are now more open as to where i can go. any advice would be great because aperantly i just dont have the striper touch.

ps i live in western MA and trailer my boat to the shore as often as i can so the lack of time on the water is my downfall. maybe even if someone would be interested in going out on a trip to school me and my buddy on the elusive line sidder maybe we can work something out.

thanks in advance for any and all help
Billy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2008, 01:23 AM

Default Re: Looking for advice

I just got castrated for a similar post, just be aware the slam mail is coming. Good luck, and I wish I could help. i am heading down to Narraggansett bay right now and if things go well I will share my findings with you.
NEC
Old 10-08-2008, 07:33 AM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

NEC you may have been castrated but at least he didn't feed them to you. . The guys on here are really good guys. With eons of experience that they are willing to share.

The thing I would recommend is purchasing a good chart studying it for drop offs bowls ledges so on and so forth. Buy a good GPS/fishfinder and start logging where you have been at what stage of the tide you were there and date. If you get skunked than at least you won't be putting yourself back into that situation at a later time. When I fish from shore I like to have a chart becasue it will show you where to reasonably expect bathtubs drop-offs so on and so forth. Any cahnge to the bottom can provide a change in current. Throw your bait/ lure upcureent and work it back to the drop.

Good luck Have fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbass View Post
When I fish from shore I like to have a chart becasue it will show you where to reasonably expect bathtubs drop-offs so on and so forth.
I guess I am a googan afterall, this dude's fishing out of his bathtub and STILL catching more fish !!!!! j/k man, tight lines!!!

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 10-08-2008, 10:49 PM

ok i have charts and a good fishfinder/gps and I am very knowledgeable but what ever i do doesn't work i just cant seem to think like a striper. even what i have done in the past and been sucsessful doesnt repeat for me i dont get it. as for now i have tried alot of new things with the larger boat and still am not sucsessful.

but let me add this this is the first season i have tried fishing the fall run and i am sure there has to be some differences than the spring run, but what to do differently and why i have no friggin idea.

and i will say this, let the hate mail begin i can take 10 good licks or more, as long as i learn something, it was all worth it.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:08 PM

Hate mail ?? Whad I miss ?

Think bait and current.
Big bass are lazy fish and want their dinner to come to them. Find a spot where bait fish (find the dinner and you'll find the diners) will be funneled into an area where a current, preferably a rip, will knock them around making them easy pickins. When you find that area look at the bottom readings on your fishfinder and try to figure out where a bass can lie protected from the current. This will usually be behind rocks or behind bars.
Using that big broom of a tail, they will shift up, or side to side and grab the easy meal, rarely moving more than a few feet.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:11 PM

sorry i ment slam mail not hate mail. also any info on how to approach the fall run vs the spring would really help
Old 10-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Pro Staff

Hyper I was referring to tubs of water where there is a drop alll around. lol. It is a term I picked up in my younger years there is a spot down the cape that was fairly well fished and one area we called the Bathtub for just this reason. It generally held fish and we would site fish with the fly for them in there. Good times
Old 10-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Young salt

Oh I got ya Jack, I was more poking fun at myself over the lack of fish caught............but I digress. I wonder if the weekend of November 1st would be too late in the season to make a trip down to R.I., fish my a$$ off, then call it a season???

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 10-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Cow Catcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperhyper View Post
oh i got ya jack, i was more poking fun at myself over the lack of fish caught............but i digress. I wonder if the weekend of november 1st would be too late in the season to make a trip down to r.i., fish my a$$ off, then call it a season???

Striperhyper ~ will
how many times do ihave to say theres no fish in ri.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:31 PM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Point View Post
how many times do ihave to say theres no fish in ri.
You say it often enough, even I'm tempted to believe you

I do point em all south when I release them

Hey Zim,,, I told a few of em to go hang out at your pier for a while on their way down. They're supposed to tell you I sent em and eat whatever you offer.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Pro Staff

If there are no fish in RI how is the Bite in Fall River
Old 10-09-2008, 02:20 PM

so ok guys how long does the fall run generally last around fishers island this is where i have been fishing alot lately.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:19 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

keep at it, your bound to eventually start finding stripers. make sure to try different offerings too..dont just stick to one bait all the time. try a variety of lures and different baits in the areas sudsy and jackbass speak of. the more time you put in the more likeley you will become a striper catcher.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:35 PM

Similar post. i think not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by New england carpenter
putting in on the west side of Jamestown south of the bridge. If anyone can help with some good spots to try

Most new guys dont take the time to read the suggested rules. Nor do they care. #4 these were written for a reason. https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/announcement.php?f=172

I have gone over and over on this topic. We arent looking to slam anybody - when we see exact locations they get deleted. If it continues after fair warnings then the member loses privaledges that could lead to banishment. if you dont care you dont care. but quite frankly i dont give a crap who gets insulted. read the rules.

Read this post and you tell me if this hasnt been covered ad infinitum.

https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...2&postcount=45

There are plenty more threads on this topic but its unlikely you will take the time to read any. Its easier to demand a spot then bitch about being slammed. We dont even know you.
You warn someone else he may get slammed . funny how he didnt because he said he Was looking for some advice that actually he can follow.

That advice would be things like learn how to read a depthfinder. Differentiating structure. Maps and charts reading. Getting a better understandng of water movement currents and tidal flow. - Nothing replaces time on the water. These are the things that will put more fish in your boat. not demanding spots in your first post here.

These guys who you say slam you - bust their asses to assist those willing to learn. Im sure they get disgusted when they read the constant negativism from the ungrateful.

Im off the soap box.