Stripers Lake Silverwood - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > California - Lakes, Rivers, Bay and Delta
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 11-18-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Stripers Lake Silverwood

I am a new fisherman and spent the day on Lake Silverwood yesterday. I caught a big catfish but no stripers. I saw a guy cleaning a bunch of small stripers and I asked him how he caught them. He said he was using anchovies because his young grandson was with him but usually uses a Rattle Trap.
Could someone give me some help? How do you fish anchovies? What size hooks, line, sinkers, etc. Is trolling a lure better or casting to the rocks and retrieving or?
I would appreciate any help,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2007, 12:30 PM
SWIMBAITER

Default Re: Stripers Lake Silverwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgregg6721 View Post
I am a new fisherman and spent the day on Lake Silverwood yesterday. I caught a big catfish but no stripers. I saw a guy cleaning a bunch of small stripers and I asked him how he caught them. He said he was using anchovies because his young grandson was with him but usually uses a Rattle Trap.
Could someone give me some help? How do you fish anchovies? What size hooks, line, sinkers, etc. Is trolling a lure better or casting to the rocks and retrieving or?
I would appreciate any help,

silverwood is a great lake for stripers, there are many large schools of the dink sizes 3 to 5 pounders.
there are some serious fat mamas there too, but hard to get.

this is no secret and im no pro either.
i fish silverwood on a regular basis, the past 3 weekends i have caught limits on the chovies.

first , motor out to the inlet, drop anchor at the bouy line.
if you dont have a meter, more likely your sitting about 90 feet of water ( its common at the inlet ).
i like to use about 6 lb maxima green, and a med light rod , about 6 of 7 ft long.
the reason for light, its funner to fight the fish.
get your self a small 3 way swivel in black, gold will attract too small of a fish , and they cause to much havoc, them little suckers.

tye your swivel about 3 feet from the wieght leader, and tye about a 1 ft leader for the #1 mosquito hook, ( the hook has a wider gap )
the wieght to tye on the bottom, should be a good 3/4 to 1 ounce.

this set up with very simular to a dropper loop, but with a swivel.

cut 1/2 of a chovie and double hook gently, drop all the way down to the bottom, and crank up 2 to 4 times.

this tecniuqe works great for me , and done very well.

now i just gotta work on catching the fat ones.lol

Old 12-12-2007, 11:51 AM

Thanks a lot. I'll bet we've been fishing right there together! Your comment on the gold swivel is new to me...never thought of that. One of the loan brokers who calls on my office was out there the last time I was and limited out. He showed me that I was using too big of a hook. Like you he uses #1's and I just went to BassPro yesterday and got those and some flourocarbon leader. I am having a hard time figuring out how you are rigging your sinker though. I really am a new fisherman. Are you putting the sinker at the end of the line with the hook up a ways? He told me to put an egg sinker on the line then a swivel and then a hook on the end of a length of leader. He also told me that the stripers won't be biting now again until the water temp gets above 60 degrees. I've also read that I shouldn't use the head or tail of the anchovies just the center section. Are you casting into the area inside the buoys or just dropping you line straight down. During the week I haven't had the ranger yell about tying to the buoy line but on the Sat I was there last he did and I didn't have enough anchor line to reach the bottom. I think I've got enough now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2007, 01:18 PM

Hi Greg welcome to the board.
We will put together something in the striper 101 room this winter for approaching cows in lakes.

Check this thread on Livelining for stripers. Specifically the Infisherman article

You want to use larger gear if you hook into a large fish. Anything big will tear your light stuff apart and or straighten your hook.
Its pretty much similar in any impoundment. Finding ther fish is the key.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:28 PM

Just last weekend, a 38# striper was caught in Silverwood. I'll see if I can get a copy of the pic and what he was using.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:54 AM

Wow! I wonder is he was using a downrigger? As I understand it the big fish go deep with the cold weather. However, my friends are all using light tackle and catching a lot of fish under 5 pounds. I trolled Silverwood with heavy tackle for 4 years with out any result. Now I want to learn how to have fun with "taco" sized strippers. "Taco" size is what my friend calls them because he makes "Fish Tacos" from them, fish tacos are a So Cal favorite that came up from Baja.
This is a great forum. I am pretty involved in the NASCAR and my local JEEP club forums and even though I'm "old" I've found it a great way to get and share information. Silverwood is close by my home and even though I've sort of fished (mostly drank beer) it for years that big catfish was the first fish I've ever caught there. Sitting there drowning anchovies without a bite when everyone around me is getting limits (10 fish) has been very frustrating and I am determined to change that.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:22 PM
SWIMBAITER

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
Hi Greg welcome to the board.
We will put together something in the striper 101 room this winter for approaching cows in lakes.

Check this thread on Livelining for stripers. Specifically the Infisherman article

You want to use larger gear if you hook into a large fish. Anything big will tear your light stuff apart and or straighten your hook.
Its pretty much similar in any impoundment. Finding ther fish is the key.
wieght on bottom , is correct.
or you can use a carolina rig.

yes , i do use light tackle on the dinkers.lol

im set for this saturday to fish the bigger ones.

im setting up a 20 lb outfit and fishing frozen bait.
i,ll be working the inlet again, rumor has it ( what mobassman posted ).

wanna join us, will be at the gate around 6.30 am on saturday.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:26 PM

Thank you so much for the invitation. Being a Realtor I work weekends so tomorrow won't work for me. In the future though I'd be glad to take you out on my boat, it is cheaper than renting. Silverwood doesn't open this time of year until 7 and the line forms outside on the highway and it takes a while to get in so I wouldn't count on meeting at 7am.
I have been told that the striper won't bite when the water is below 60 degrees. My friend who is really good there said he is done now till Spring. Please let me know how you do.
Thanks again, gregg
Old 12-14-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
striper won't bite when the water is below 60 degrees
Greg we get em here on the right coast between 50 and 70 degrees.
They get sluggish below 50 but we fished and caught them in 46 degree water last week.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:04 PM
SWIMBAITER

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
Greg we get em here on the right coast between 50 and 70 degrees.
They get sluggish below 50 but we fished and caught them in 46 degree water last week.

thats good news, striperjim.
im no pro on catching large stripers, but still working on it

we are heading to lake silverwood , to drift deep w/ frozen bait.

the fish are sitting at 90 to 150 ft.

any suggestion?

we will have a pontoon w/ finder to locate the deeper areas.

p/s its freezing out there, with some snow.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:20 AM

I'm thinking a "downrigger" is needed for cold water fishing.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:46 AM

Jigging metal works well here in the salt for cold weather. Heavy bridgeport slabs.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Striper Hunter

Hey guys i know this is a old thread but i live 10 min from silverwood and ive gone 3 times this week on shore and havent caught no stripers...could i get some pointers? It seems like night time might b best to fish onshore...
Old 05-01-2013, 09:39 PM
Official Member

Heard live oak area or maybe try by the dam area but got to get there before sunup or at sunup.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:53 AM
Striper Hunter

Im goin to start takin my aluminum boat to silverwood... Ive been readin everythong i can about stripers there...im gonna troll a umbrella rig and a ac.plug..will they work this time of year?