First post ever..... Will Stripers Always Take an Eel - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 06-04-2008, 08:28 AM
Striper Hunter

Default First post ever..... Will Stripers Always Take an Eel

My first post on this site, I just joined, and I love it already...

Anyway I fish Boston Harbor and it seems like everywhere is just loaded with Bunker/Porgy, and I am a shore bound angler who has had the most success and my bigger fish all come on live eels, however it seems to me that the Stripers are so keyed in on Bunker that the live eel is not even getting half much action as in years past. My question is should I be fishing another way with all this Bunker around, I own a snagger and I am ready to use it, but come on I can't relay on snagging a Bunker and livelining as my major fishing method, it is just to difficult and hit or miss from the surf. Please tell me live eels will always produce even with the Bunker everywhere I look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2008, 08:58 AM
swabbie

Default Re: First post ever..... Will Stripers Always Take an Eel

I fish the harbor from a boat for the most part. One night I anchored up over a wreck and live lined some eels. My friend was chunking bait. He got the bass and I got nothing. There could have been a lot of other factors - like depth, positioning, etc but I was suprised. I switched to chunks and got a bass... I can't answer your question but I do think live eels are less effective in the boston area compared to the Cape. That being said, they should still be an effective bait, especially at night.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Striper Hunter

I just feel like their are more and more bunker in the harbor and why would a striper be feeding on eels when she can eat 4 or 5 fat bunker every couple of days and then just be lazy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2008, 09:58 AM

When Bass zone in on a plentifull bait, they tend to stay with it. Supply and demand so to speak. The laziness factor also applies, if Bluefish are chopping on the pogies, they are sweeping the heads off the bottom like a vacuum cleaner. I've seen it first hand while scuba diving. Use the snagger when you can, don't even reel it in, as soon as you set into one just let it swim. The injured pogie is now an easy target as all his buddies get away from him as fast as they can. If a Blue cuts it up, and you will know its a Blue by the way it hits, just leave the bunker head to sink to the bottom. This method works when the school of bait is concentrated and not moving at high speed not being chased in open water.
If the menhaden are scattered and you can't snag, put the Eel out, it will get eaten, Bass eat Eels year round day or night, just ask Roc, he's got the fish to prove that hundreds of times over.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Wishin i was fishin

I always zone in on the bait that seems to be around, i'll give you an example rather than a speech....I was fishing last year on the kennebec river here in maine, i had just bought a whole bunch of eels (which are not cheap) ready to spend the day slaying the fish like i've done in years past...and i also brought a whole bag full of frozen mackerel that I had ( i didnt have time to catch fresh stuff) anyway it didn't matter....there were 4 people on the boat all except one was using eels....the other was using a chunk of frozen mackerel, we were drift fishing. On the 1st drift the guy using the mackerel hooks up within seconds of his bait getting to bottom....gets a nice fish, we all catch nothing.....2nd drift, same thing....we all switch over to mackerel, and BOOM it's like someone turned on a light switch we caught fish after fish after fish, doubles, triples all day long.....

in the past that hadn't been the same story, i had always used eels and been very successful .....but that's a prime example of turning a potentially bad fishing outing into a successful one by bringing different kinds of bait, if i were you and you can catch bunker and bring eels then do both.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Striper Hunter

thanks for all the input and info, i guess i will need to get better at snagging bunker because all the signs and gut feeling tell me that Boston harbor is going to loaded with it this summer, it already is
Old 06-04-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ht42
i will need to get better at snagging bunker because all the signs and gut feeling tell me that Boston harbor is going to loaded with it this summer, it already is
Man that is music to the ears.
It wasnt long ago when the spotter planes and reduction boats raped every pogie out of the water before they got past block island. Good to see the cap tonnage fish making their way north a little bit again.
With bigger bait means bigger fish .

On a side note there is some evidence of pogies spawning furthur and furthur north possibly due to increasingly dirty water in the Chespaeake.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:53 AM
First Mate

Welcome to the site... Like Gunny said... Snag em and leave them out there

Bryan