Boston Harbor This - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 05-18-2008, 02:46 PM
swabbie

Default Boston Harbor This

I went out Saturday in the Boston harbor and caught a few bass around the inner islands - no keepers. Then I picked up a few skates trying to catch flounder. Sunday I found some mackeral off the outer islands but only boated two. Much to my surpise live lining got one hit but no fish in the boat. I wish I could have picked up a few more mackeral but it was good to be live lining out there. Hopefully the Mackeral stick around the area for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2008, 03:05 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

Default Re: Boston Harbor This

Went fishing with pops at fourth cliff, marshfield. Dad caught a 18" schoolie. We cast from the surf. Nothing doing from about 8 am to high tide 11:30. You and me should start an official skate catching thread! Yeah, skates!
Old 05-18-2008, 06:17 PM
swabbie

You don't want to get into a skate catching contest with me - I'm a professional!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2008, 08:42 PM
Official Member

Didnt't make it out last Sunday afternoon as planned -- too cold!!

Fished Wednesday from 1:30 - 3:00 at Castle Island. Very windy but got my first skate.

Went to the North End later. Nothing. Herrring everywhere when the locks opened but no bites. Was using seaworms and mackeral. Schoolies there but herring too plenitul. Should have thrown some sluggos but kinda lazy.

Mystic Dam yesterday afternoon. Windy. Lots of guys fishing from shore (including me and two buddies) and lots of boats but didn't see any fish. You would have better luck in Vegas. I saw bait, lures, live bait, fly fisherman, trolling, etc..

From my experience, night time is the only time to go (if you can).

Soon. Very, very soon.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonfisher View Post
You don't want to get into a skate catching contest with me - I'm a professional!
Your not bad at finding the sharks either, good ole theives ledge haha, that was a good time.

I wouldn't recommend bait at Charlestown Dam, not the most effictive technique there. Just a hint.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:45 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

Cast from the surf in and around the north river mouth, fourth cliff area during the daytime tide. Used rubber shad, cast masta's, and umbrella jigs. Nothing. Of note, in the south river side, I had set up a sand spike with a big fat sea worm on a fish finder rig. I walked away thinking "no fish in here any way". when I came back, some guy who had been sitting there told me it all of a sudden just flopped over, then nothing. Guess I missed who ever it was knocking.

One would think that this place would be a bit of a hot spot, but I have never caught a thing other than skate . . . once. I mean two rivers: the south and north, converge right there! A river mouth that dumps right out into the mighty atlantic! Never ever caught a thing there. EVER! I still had fun. I just cant believe the place sucks that bad.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:36 PM
(formerly brian21johansen)

My friend has a summer house down on the south river.....we'd catch schoolies there all the time on mackerel. I probably caught close to 10 schoolies there last year.

We had to be careful though....at low tide we could walk from his back porch a good 20 feet until we got to the water....at high tide the water came right up to his back porch.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:13 PM

Been catching schoolies at the end of the Charlestown Navy Yard and under the Charlestown bridge, which is now insanely full of people, only good late at night when the crowds go home.