Copolymer / mono question - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 09-14-2006, 02:29 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Default Copolymer / mono question

Tried braids and Fireline etc. Not impressed with it for my use so decided to go back to mono.
Ended up going with some copolymer Silver Thread @ 17# for my 6500 ABU on a 10 ' rod for eeling and light chunking.
Think I'm liking the Silver Thread enough to change 2 more reels over from the braid stuff.
But first, What IS the difference between copolymer and monofiliment? Or is it just a fancier name for the same stuff?
How do they compare to cold temps, abrasion, stretch, etc.
Is the Silver Thread a good choice or is there better?
I'm considering taking the line off the 6500 and putting it on the 4500 Baitrunner (spin) and putting 30# on the 6500. Probably go with 40# on the 7000 ABU for heavier/rockier work.
Am I going in the right direction with this?
Hoping with the heavier line I can stay away from a shock leader (and knot) for chunk & chuck fishing.
ANY ideas and or input is welcomed as this willbe 80% surf/beach, 15% jetty, 5% whatever (?).
Thanks,
Floatsum
PS; I'm new at conv. surfcasting and have made too many goofs already on my own,,, need help (but not with the goofs,,, I've got that down pretty good on my own. )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2006, 01:59 PM

Which copolymer line from Silver Thread are you using, they have 3. They have the original, the Saltwater specific, and their newest.....Excalibur.

I've not tried any of them but I've been meaning to. According to reporst, they're somewhere between mono and flouro.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:38 PM

Hi Flotsam
I've only tried the copolymer in 10 pound test for freshwater use, a product called flouroclear made by Pline.
I had no problems with memory or breakage. Apparantly the one I used is a flouro coated mono but they have just developed over 50 new products.
Some look quite interesting. The price on the flouro clear was close to that of mono.
I still have bulk spools of ande and fireline. I dont really like powerpro. Its very (what the word here) birdsnestie. :)
I may try it again in heavier test in the future.
Lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2006, 02:01 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDB
Which copolymer line from Silver Thread are you using, they have 3. They have the original, the Saltwater specific, and their newest.....Excalibur.

I've not tried any of them but I've been meaning to. According to reporst, they're somewhere between mono and flouro.
Ones I've gotten are "Super Silver Thread" in a clear/red box.
Interestingly from what I've seen at the shop I frequent the cost is the same from 4-30# pkgs. Each is something like $8.00 and they all come in 330 yd. spools.
17# is 0.0147, Picked up 2 pkgs. of the 30# today at 0.0199 dia.
A google on "Performance Technology silver thread" was a little help... but admittedly, I take all advertising with 20# of kosha.

TonyDB, didn't see the ones you mentioned. Site list a few others though.

I'd mention the shop but not sure how the Administrators take to that on the site yet (still a noobee).

I was told that cold temp effect it very little. Think I'll put one of the 30's in the freezer tonight to find out. (I'll do it right now)
Old 09-15-2006, 08:20 AM

Here's the link to Silver Threads newest copolymer line Excalibur.

http://www.silverthread.com/Excalibur.htm

For both my fresh water and saltwater fishing, I'd like to increase my lines abrasion resistance over mono, what I currently use. Since I use only spinning gear, my biggest concern is the lines memory.

This spring, I was seriously considering changing from mono to one of Suffix's copolymer lines on my large mouth spinning reel/rod but at the last minute I put it back on the rack. Several years back, I switched to flouro on my LMB worming rod, looking for better abrassion resist, better feel, and less stretch. What a dissaster that was. Seems like evertime I threw the bail, line would just unwind off my reel like it was possessed by some fishing demon. I quickly exorcised that line.

However, next year I'm gonna try a copolymer line as I feel like I spend half my time re-tying my line when LMB fishing. Yet, I still seem to sail a hand-full of lures, spinnerbaits mostly, every year.

Sounds like you're pretty enamored with Silver Thread's copolymer if you're gonna change all your gear over. If you do run it on your baitrunner let me know your impressions.

I would really like to find an unbiased review of all these new lines with real hard data to examine on memory, slip (casting distance), abrassion, UV resistance, stretch, diameter, breaking strength, sensory transmission.......but I don't think it exists. They all sound like touchy/feely marketing propaganda.....show me the data. There's so many new lines out there, you can spend your entire fishing career testing them and still not get through them all.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:18 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Tony,
I went out to the shed and got some emply spools to save and turn some lines.
Noticed one of them just happened to be Excalibur 10X! 0.0119 dia. Copolymer Silver Thread.
That's old. Probably 10 yrs(?) Just took it off my ABU 5000D that I used for LMB and light salt. Definately had some line set (after 10 yrs.) but was using it til last year.
Forgot I had it, remember thinking with that reel, "damned that's good line, wonder what it is/was?" thought I could break the line off the spool (being so old),,,,,, wrong!
If this "Super" is anything like the Excalibur,,, I'll be a happy man.
(Administrators, sorry but if this is inapropriate just wipe it out.)
Got mine at Wildwoods Outfitters in the middle of Wakefield. Good folks thus far.
http://www.lurenet.com/catalog.aspx?catID=SilverThread
Old 09-15-2006, 01:13 PM

Wow, 10 years, that's a pretty good testimonial that it doesn't embrittle upon age. I usually replace line on my LMB equipment every 10 weeks. But, since I live on a bass pond, all my LMB equipment gets a workout. It gets so much abuse, usually my reels break-down in one season. Because you had it on a baitcaster, it doesn't predict what it would have looked like on a spinning reel from a memory perspective. You should have seen the expression on my face when I went to cast that flouro for the first time and as I flipped the bail, 20 yards jumped out at me like it was a stressed out slinky.

My guess is that the new Silver Thread you purchased will not be quite as abrassive resistant as the Excaliber, but will have less memory. That's purely based on their individual writeups.

As to why I thought the Excaliber was new, I must of confused the Excaliber with a new offering from Suffix.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:11 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

:) Floro
I was the same way with PP and Fireline.
"Keep it tight on the spool" they said. BS! How do you do that poppin?
Then the hit at your feet with no line stretch and all you hear is "POP!"
Or a nice long toss for an eel, slow strainless retrieve, half way in fish on.
Now you've tight line - loose line - tight line. Next good cast.... #%^&*!
Fireline on the spinner, 2 cast PSSSSTZZZZZ is the sound of the line. Retrieve, Zzzzzzzzzzzz line sound. Gotta be transmitted(?). 2 cast and off it comes.
Each their own.
Line on the spinner was put on tight and full. I can imagin floating a swimmer out the "Brokenback" and trying to get all that relaxed line back on the spool.
That's why I've come full circle back to the mono type stuff.
Someday I'll learn, if it ain't broke,,,,,,,,
Tried 50,30,20# floro too for leaders both reg. and fly. Don't like "too stiff".
By-the-way, I froze the "Thread" last night to see what cold weather may do to it this fall. Didn't seem to effect it much at all. Think I'll be happy with it.
Gotta start changing things over. Hoping to do some chunking and eels tonight around Mid-night.
Later