Tube/Umbrella - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 07-24-2006, 10:40 AM
First Mate

Default Tube/Umbrella

a couple of questions. I read most of the threads but I don't think this was covered....

1) Are the Santini Tubes REALLY better than others? I can't seem to find any tubes in my area with the spinners on them. Does that matter?

2) If you have two lines out should you use the SAME COLOR tube on each?

3) with an Umbrella rig should the middle tube be the longest (maybe a 6" or a foot behind) resembling a wounded fish trailing behind??

Thanks.......trying some chunk in Plymouth bay on thursday and doing some trolling on Sunday..............as always sea conditions depending!
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2006, 07:54 AM

As far as the Santini being better than the others, you'll get different opinions on that. My experience has been that it's about the same as others I have used. What seems more important is the color of the tube. My two favorate colors are dark red (maroon) and black with the red out-fishing the black 2:1. When trolling 2 lines, I'll usually start out running those two colors and switch over to the one that's producing, usually that's the red one.

Regardless of what manufacturer or color, I prefer to run these baits with a rudder as it tends to help them track better but more important for me, the rudder minimizes line twist. Again you're gonna get different opinions on this and I'll admit that I'm in the minority on the use of rudders. But, it works for me.

There's also different opinions as to what action you want from them on the troll. I try for a cork-srew spin while running and that's why line-twist can become a problem, even with the in-line swival that most manufactures provide just north of the tube itself. I'll add an additional swival just after the rudder. Most of the right-out-of-the-package rigs that I've seen are set-up to provide this cork screw action as a result of the wire leader, inside the tube being pulled tight, creating the bend in the tube which in turn causes it to spin.

One thing I think you will find agreement on is that when tipped with a live sand-worm or a gulp seaworm, these baits are deadly.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:33 AM
First Mate

Thanks!
Tony any advice on the umbrella?
I rigged mine up last night and I added a line of mono for the center tube. As it stands it's about 12" or so behind the rest of the tubes..........

anyone have any comments? Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2006, 09:47 AM

Sorry, I have very little experience with umbrella rigs.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:26 AM
First Mate

Thanks..........anyone else?
Old 07-25-2006, 01:52 PM

I've used Umbrellas off and on for years. I prefer T&W.

I have had success catching Stripers, Blues (ruin the rubber shads) and even Fluke.

I use the rubber shad type and not the sandworm type. Mostly because that is what I own and I'm cheap. Lead core, real slow and just off the bottom through a rip seems to work best for me. They hit right when the rig hits the rough water of the rip.

When the Blues show up, I take the umbrella out as they just ruin it. Fun to catch 4 Blues at once though.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:33 PM
First Mate

Thanks Tailgunner!

Any thoughts on the middle hook? The umbrellas allow you to change what you run in the middle of the rig.......I'm told by some to run a piece of mono and then the tube out BEHIND the rest of the rig to try to simulate a stragler or wounded fish trying to keep up with the rest.........does this make sense?
Old 07-25-2006, 02:46 PM

Yes, it makes perfect sense. It's the way mine came setup. I know several people that take all the hooks off but for that center one. I don't. I have caught on almost all the hooks.

Supposed to look like a school of fish, the center one is Slowpoke Rodriques and that's what the fish goes after.

For giggles this Fall run, I'm going to try Gulp(tm) sofbaits and see if it makes a difference.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:49 PM
First Mate

NICE!! Thanks again...............now to see it I can master TWO umbrella rigs AND drive the boat................I may just stick with the one and see what happens................If I hook up on both rods I could be in trouble!
Old 07-25-2006, 02:57 PM

Ah, but wouldn't that be a nice problem to have?
Old 07-25-2006, 09:23 PM
First Mate

I guess you're right unless the lines get tangled!!
Old 08-01-2006, 09:13 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I'm not a big fan of the rig, but back in the day when a 16" fish was legal to go to market I caught many as well as some mighty impressive big fish to 40 lbs....

I like the gorrilla rigs, they are big and heavy,,but can stand up to the rigors of heavy fishing and heavy fish, for teasers I like to mix and match green,red and black, 7/0-9/0 hooks with willow leaf spinners in front of the tubes, but only on the outside spreader, the inside got dummy teasers made from piano wire and surge tubing ( I made all my own rigs) for the middle hook a small to medium bunker spoon trailing 18" behind....