Looking for advice - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 10-09-2008, 03:57 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Default Re: Looking for advice

crack that whip jimbo......smack!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2008, 05:24 PM
Young salt

Ok ok, we all KNOW there's no fish in R.I., but are there usually fish kicking around Mass or that tiny state just below it in early November? Not looking great for getting out up here much between now and then, on a whim here and there, but I'm thinking road trip south to finish off the season!!!! Anybody still gonna be fishing the first weekend of November, drop me a line maybe we can go cow tippin

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 10-09-2008, 07:53 PM

ok if i did something wrong i do appolagize. just to endulge a little bit i am not looking for exact spots. i have charts and electronics and am learning how to use them. what i am asking is for advice on what to do when i do get to the fish and maybe even get someone to come out with me its always cheaper to get a few guys on a boat splitting fuel cost in fact i may be helping some guys get out more than they normally would by themselves.

but one specific question i do have and i have asked in here already and maybe no one seen it is how long does this fall run go for on average in the fishers island area.

again any help is greatly appreciated
Billy
Old 10-09-2008, 09:00 PM

Hey Jim did you not get enough hugs as a child??? Come on let's all be nice and hug it out. You can take whatever you want, in whatever context you want, and make it mean whatever you want. when I asked for "spots" as you so keenly pointed out in your reply, do you think it was possible that I, as a newcomer to the striper world was asking for a spot like...as one poster stated...

Find a "SPOT" where bait fish (find the dinner and you'll find the diners) will be funneled into an area where a current, preferably a rip, will knock them around making them easy pickins. When you find that area look at the bottom readings on your fishfinder and try to figure out where a bass can lie protected from the current. This will usually be behind rocks or behind bars.

These are precisely the kind of spots I was hoping someone might refer to me, not coordinates like you have taken it upon yourself to believe. And when i first replied to this thread and said look out, it was in jest, but just letting him know something might be on the way. After my initial slamming I had gotten several private messages and posted ones helping me to understand the things to look for in striper fishing, so I have no ill feelings towards the site.

And your implications that I wouldn't take the time to read any of the very useful info that is here, is at the very least an ignorant point of view. You don't know me and you don't know anything about me. I have spent the last three hours of my night, each night since joining, reading up on deifferent topics and trying to tie new rigs.

So do me a favor... the next time you want to paint me out to be sort of spoiled, shortcut, endaround guy, do it in a message to me, don't do it in a post somewhere for me to find later on (by the way I copied this to Jim directly). And while you are using someones thread to rip me one... try answering the question he asked if you are so full of knowledge. WHEN DOES THE FALL RUN END??????????????
Old 10-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

jim's not gonna be back till tomorrow and may not see this for the whole day. i was going to delete this but in fairness i left it alone as "hugs as a child" was kinda personal and juvenile; that said, your run up in mass. is almost over. i would work on getting out there son, instead of dwelling on the internet. it is not entirely your fault for the way we run the ship as you are like a schoolyard nerd analyzing the girls and wondering what logic would catch one of them. eventually you will get one but, after finding the right system and behavioral pattern. i too have a juvy way of looking at things. we all have been goofing and cracking on each other for a long time, and all of us see no reason why newcomers should be on eggshells so if a little critisizm is too much for ya and the occasional one liner an eyebrow raiser then be cautious about what you write as a personal attack is not the same as critisizm but, a disgruntled potential neighbor may feel some disdain for the author as he is backed into a self imposed corner/ cheer up, it gets better.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEC
So do me a favor... the next time you want to paint me out to be sort of spoiled, shortcut, endaround guy, do it in a message to me, don't do it in a post somewhere for me to find later on And while you are using someones thread to rip me one... try answering the question he asked if you are so full of knowledge. WHEN DOES THE FALL RUN END??????????????
Ok first things first. My reply was directed to your post Mr. Carpenter not spyders thread.
Spend a little time here and see if we slam people for no reason. Yours was warranted.

Now to answser spyder if i can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder
i have asked in here already and maybe no one seen it is how long does this fall run go for on average in the fishers island area.
again any help is greatly appreciated
Billy
Billy are you talking here?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:W...ers_island.jpg

If thats the place well into November and even December.
Some boaters jig into January with large tins for resident holdovers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder
also any info on how to approach the fall run vs the spring would really help
Surfcasting or by boat?
From the surf
In the fall I fish both day and night. The fish tend to be more agressive in the fall fattening up for the winter.
In the spring I tend more towards the evening unless I want schoolies.
By boat you can fish both day and night.
Springtime trolling the rivers in the day or casting jointed lures on the flats - night time eeling or livelining deeper.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:09 PM

Glad to see that the season runs as late as it does, and that there is a lengthy boating season. Thanks for the post.
NEC
Old 10-11-2008, 08:56 PM

yes that is the fishers island i am talking about. thank you
and i do fish from a boat. as far as just going out i go out as much as i can afford. dont forget some of you guys live alot closer to the water than i do. i live in west springfield ma. the closest i am to salt water is the CT coastline still an hour and 40 minutes or so with the boat in tow. now with that said it cost me an extra 75 dollars just for the truck never mind fueling the boat with a 94 gallon fuel tank(1986 bayliner trophy with a 1982 merc 200 OB). hense my little line about getting more guys together splitting fuel cost.

but with that said while i am stuck here i am on the internet tring to do as much leg work as i can so i am not wasting precious on the water time screwing around with stuff that is just a bad idea. and i can take my licks like the best of them. just like i said it is a small price to pay to learn something i am so passionate about.

Billy
Old 10-11-2008, 09:02 PM

ohh and i have been trying to fish at night the last 2 times i have gotten out i launched at 4-5PM and stayed all night till sunset the next day. the cuddy is nice to go down and take a nap. but yeah the only thing i seam to be getting after dark is 3-4 foot sand sharks
Old 10-11-2008, 09:06 PM

hope the pic uploads this time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1747.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	7996  
Old 10-13-2008, 01:57 PM

If your into dog sharks move. there wont be anything else around when them bastages are nearby.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:20 PM
First Mate

Not for nothing, but you might want to even try trolling along the beaches not to far from wherever your putting in (Bunker spoons-tube and worm etc)...There's a ton of schoolies and a few fatties mixed in (at least for me-haven't gotten into a beast yet but hoping too soon)...I as well live quite a ways away (South Hadley Ma) and am dealing w/ the same thing..Lately it's hit or miss in that state that "has no fish" but also in CT around where you have gone out of, there a lot of activity as well...Try chunking a slick on a drop off close to shore or even from shore (keeping the boat home)...In the fall they seem to run much closer to shore then in the spring...It's just hit or miss with timing as they move around (South) it seems more...Clams, bunker, mackrel are great chuming and of course the slimy bastards...Good luck-Hoping to get that beast this weekend on the flip side of the moon-Haven't heard from Zim on the forecast though-Ready and waiting
Old 10-15-2008, 06:42 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

now through the weekend will be on fire. sunday when a system moves off the coast may have a sw wind but just before daylight should be phenominal

Old 10-16-2008, 10:52 PM
First Mate

I hope it will be good this weekend...I'm always think this time of year would be good in the day just because it's warmer out, but I've seen that logic only good for myself (being as my hands get the feeling back quicker I guess)...Also w/ the new moon coming I'm thinking of heading out, probably on my last trip...Two weeks from now. Hope to post a fish to go along w/ the others I've seen from "the point" and such...Then it's ice fishing till the snow melts....and also