Circle hooks - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 05-02-2020, 04:36 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Circle hooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUB View Post
I'm all for circle hooks for live lining. Ive been using them for years. Unfortunately it's going to ruin my chunk game.
Why's that bud? Circle hooks is all I've used in 21 years of striper fishing and I use them regularly for chunk. Do you have hook-up issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2020, 04:38 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Z View Post
I can tell you from experience when a circle hook is gut hooked it is nearly impossible to get it out and it does happen......when a J hook is gut hooked a good removal tool will get it out safely every time...i have never failed.
I feel this is spot on. I actually stopped using bridles because they almost always swallowed the circle hooks. If there was some type of a tool that I could stick down inside their mouth and cut the end of the circle hook off, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
Old 05-02-2020, 09:30 PM
Keelhauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner1 View Post
Why's that bud? Circle hooks is all I've used in 21 years of striper fishing and I use them regularly for chunk. Do you have hook-up issues?

I love circle hooks for live bait since they typically grab it and run. In my experience fishing chunk, the majority of the time that I hook up its a minor tap similar to a eel/perch/catfish... It renders the circle ineffective in that situation. I fished chunk for years with circles waiting for a "run" with little success. It wasn't that many years ago that I found out those little tap tap and drops could be the big girls.

ALL TIME PBs
Boated in a run: 59 (2020)
Boated in a day: 23 (2020)
Biggest: 42" (2016)
Old 05-02-2020, 09:31 PM
Keelhauler

Quote:
I feel this is spot on. I actually stopped using bridles because they almost always swallowed the circle hooks. If there was some type of a tool that I could stick down inside their mouth and cut the end of the circle hook off, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
x2 on the bridle rigs. Almost every fish landed was gut hooked.

ALL TIME PBs
Boated in a run: 59 (2020)
Boated in a day: 23 (2020)
Biggest: 42" (2016)
Old 05-03-2020, 09:25 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Z View Post
I can tell you from experience when a circle hook is gut hooked it is nearly impossible to get it out and it does happen......when a J hook is gut hooked a good removal tool will get it out safely every time...i have never failed.
Knipex cutters work great. We use them for cutting 8/0 musky trebles so the cut singles with ease and they're small enough to fit in the bass's mouth easily. I used one on a Rapala treble the other day on a roughly 18 inch Bass
Old 05-05-2020, 07:44 PM
First Mate

Got 4 bass today all on live with circle hooks. All perfectly hooked in the mouth. All swam away to do what they love best.