Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Tonight In The Merrimac

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  therockfishchef 
#1 ·
Went out to the mouth of the merrimac for the last few hours of the outgoing tide tonight. got 6 fish all in that 20" - 25" range. Saw a bunch of people pulling in fish about the same size. I used herring and worms. All the fish were caught on the herring. I got some small sand eels also. Never used these things before. Last week i was at the caoe in falmouth and if you stood in the water at the beach your feet got swarmed by these things. The guy at the bait shop said put a few on the hook and drop it to the bottom. I didn't get any bites on those but i'll be honest I didn't give them much of a chance before I was back to herring. All in all a great night full moon and sunset was unreal. After all the weekend boater traffic slowed down it was real peacefull. A seal showed up just as I was leaving. I'll be out all day tommorow hopefully for some bigger fish and a few pictures even.....

#2 ·
Sounds like a nice night. I was out for the bottom of friday afternoon's outgoing and we had similar conditions with the schoolies on worms. I don't get out much so was looking for numbers which we got and had fun. Don't overlook sandeels as a good bait for schoolies for days when worms are hard to find. Snapper blues will go for them as well. They work very well at times. They are a natural bait for stripers and work well when drifted along the bottom on a small hook. I too put 2 sometimes 3 on a hook. If you can get big sandeels you might be surprised in the size fish you might catch. Years back when Malcolm Hudson was still with us he used to go out and catch them himself and caught some big ones at that which worked great for bait on bass. Glad to hear you had a fun day on the water.

#5 ·
Bought my first fishing rod from Malcomb and used to catch ells from the docks outside his store down where the black cow is now. Great guy. Not so may stripers back then but plenty of blues. He would sell me a pack of treble hooks and I would stand down on the old board walk and cast out in the channel around the moored boats and hook a pogie on every cast. Didn't know what to do with them I just threw them back but boy was it fun. Wish I had some of those live pogies yesterday..............

#7 ·
Thanks Tony. I got all worked up last night and did a little searching on the internet but couldn't really find out what the difference was between the river and sea herring. Both looked like ones i used. Again I'm quite sure my bait shop wouldn't risk selling something banned so i'm good

#8 ·
Rockfish.
What is a herring?
http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=4035
A search right here might have helped. I did the research when the Massachusetts river herring moratorium went into effect.
There were so many returns on the keyword herring I had to plug in copepods The sea run herrings primary diet .
Code:
The single most important copepod is [Zooplankton (Calanus finmarchicus)] its the basic food for the local mackeral, river herring, alewife and shad.
The herring are dependent on these food sources to such a degree that herring scientists have proposed that information on prey species may provide a method to predict the location of herring stocks.
There are 9 different species in the Gulf of Maine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.